Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo: General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Weird it's really polished when I play it, I wonder if the emulator is running at a higher FPS or something to make it a smoother experience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll have to fire it up and give it another go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't help but lol when looking at the sale on the eshop and see that Nintendo once again have the audacity to include Breath Of The Wild as being "on sale" with the price starting at £59.99 :D

Nintendont do sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo are the Ebeneezer Scrooge of the gaming industry. Bah humbug!

IGN have just picked their best game of 2023.

And the winner is...

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Unofficial Link's Awakening PC port put to sleep by Nintendo

It didn't take them long to act on this. It's a pity they're not as quick in other regards.

Yes, Nintendo's Next Generation Games Are Going To Be 70 Bucks.

#### that! If this is true, and it's something I can definitely see Nintendo doing, then they can go to hell.

The €70 price tag started with this generation, which is wrong in my opinion. But Switch 2 if we're lucky will be as powerful as last gen hardware.

Nintendo are the greediest and most miserly company around. Just look at the games on Switch, many of which are Wii U ports, and they're still €60. Or their remasters/remakes of the likes of Skyward Sword HD, Link's Awakening HD, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe, etc, etc.

The Wii U eShop closed its doors earlier this year, more than a decade after it released with a tonne of its games still €60 as they drove the final nail in its coffin before it slid to its grave. I'll never forget SSB Wii U(€60) with its convoluted DLC packs, that didn't have a season pass and cost well over €100 for a fraction of the content of the base game. And it was equally as messy on 3DS.

At least other companies have sales, proper sales, unlike Nintendo. A game that releases on other platforms often get sales and price reductions with the first year if not months. Nintendo advertise sales with up to 75% off, but that doesn't include 1st party games. You'll be lucky to get 33% off, and it's only for digital games. Physical games remain full price. And when Nintendo do hardware bundles, if a "game" is included, it's a digital code. There's no Nintendo Selects range of games on Switch either.

What's Nintendo's justification for the price hike, should it happen? Is it once again because they see the competition doing something and they automatically think can do this because they see themselves as the Disney of the video game industry? The Switch cartridges are prohibitively expensive, 3rd parties so often cheap out and use small cartridges, with massive downloads required. So it is cartridge cost? TOTK was €70, many believe it was because it used a 32GB cartridge, with Nintendo passing on that cost to the consumer. Mortal Kombat 1 was the second €70 game on Switch and first from a 3rd party. What a broken disgraceful mess that was. We shouldn't be paying the same price as next gen consoles for an inferior game in every way possible. And they will be watered down experiences on Switch 2 as well.

The Switch is coming up on 7 years old, and I don't think there's much more than 10 games, if even that, that have used a 32GB cartridge. 64GB cartridges are the stuff of fiction.

That's an article from 2017. Wii U had standard 25GB proprietary discs that cheap to mass produce. What size are Switch 2 cartridges going to be? Are they going to use the same crazy expensive proprietary process that protects Nintendo from piracy at all costs, but a cartridge that is limited in capacity and production scale? Where consumers are the ones(AGAIN!) who will pay the price both figuratively and literally?

I mean like there is inflation to factor as well... but there's also the fact that the Nintendo can do what it likes knowing that those that have already bought into it and think Nintendo can do no wrong will continue to purchase regardless. As illustrated in that article:

Similar thing with those that have bought into the Apple eco system and believe it to be the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ThePandazorian

Still cheaper than N64 games back in the day! Needed to nearly take out a credit union loan for them. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

€70+ is the standard across other physical formats, AAA titles like Gran Turismo 7 and Flight Simulator are all in that price range.

Hardly surprising then that AAA titles from Nintendo are going to cost a similar amount, much to do with the increased cost of development of more complex titles.

The same resources that went into developing say Skyward Sword as an example on the Wii, did not go into upgrading Skyward Sword HD. Now as someone here pointed out on another thread, Wii games were €50. Skyward Sword HD on Switch costs €60. Did Nintendo have to create a new storyline, compose new music, NPC's, enemies, towns, side quests, all the collectibles, dungeons, etc, etc, etc?

No they didn't. The vast majority of the heavy lifting has been done already. Companies are all over ports/remasters/remakes like a plague because they are infinitely cheaper to make than starting a completely new game from scratch.

They also pointed out that while Nintendo Wii games were €50, PS3 and Xbox360 games were €60. Nintendo didn't have to deal with HD development back then, but when they did with Wii U, game prices went up to €60. As I wrote elsewhere, PS4 games weren't €70, they were €60. So if Switch 2 games are going to be on par with PS4 games, then they should remain at €60.

This is Nintendo looking at others once again doing something and saying we can do that too because we're the Disney of gaming. Even though development costs won't be as high as PS5/XB Series. They did the same with online, even though their service is garbage. They did it simply because they can and it's yet more revenue for them. Nintendo aren't paupers, not even remotely close. They've posted revenue of around $12 billion each year for the last number of years. They can well afford to keep game prices at €60, they could well afford a Switch price drop(sales are dropping in certain regions). I don't care what anybody says, I stand by my statement that they are the greediest ##### around, and miserly too. Wii U ports to Switch should have been cheaper, they weren't and still aren't. And they tried some underhand tactics, removing them from the Wii U eShop where some were €25(though reversed the decision after negative publicity). They charged €10 more for DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch than originally on Wii U, €60 v €50. And that too was €25 on Wii U at that stage. Adding Funky Kong mode sure was expensive for Nintendo to develop on Switch. 😐

And this new €70 price tag won't be for new big budget Switch 2 games, it'll be across the board, regardless. Just look at what they're at now with cheap ports on Switch. And again, they will stay that way across the years, it won't matter if they're not evergreen titles. How many copies do you think Nintendo are still selling of ARMS? Feck all I'd imagine! It doesn't matter, it still costs €60 for a title that released shortly after the Switch launch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

None of this is new or surprising behaviour from Nintendo. If you really are asdisgusted by it as you claim, don't buy their hardware or software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Life's too short for me to be so angry about a software and hardware manufacturer. I don't like Apple products, I don't buy them, job done.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't like Nintendo's pricing, and think it's a load of shíte - but then I bought TOTK full price 'cos I knew I'd get value out of it; it's a case-by-case basis for me really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

Well the good thing about Nintendo prices is you get a good price when you sell. I sold up after TOTK. Loved every minute of it, BOTW, Odyssey, MK8 and making the labos at Christmas. Cant complain.

Will probably get the new Switch for the next gen Mario and Zelda games. I dont tend to play ports from previous gens.

Just do as I do and buy 3rd party games exclusively 😂

I picked up a few 1st party titles when I first got my Switch but since then it's been buying sale items from Sooth Efrika... take that Nintendo 🤑

The funny thing is, out of the tons I've games I've purchased, the total price has prob been the price of 1 or 2 first party games.

If I was to get 1 x first party Switch game only it would be Super Mario Odyssey. The Zeldas are immense games but a play through of Odyssey will bring joy to your soul.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got that, Mario Kart, and BotW at the start...

The single greatest game experience on the Switch for me was XCom 2... became crazily addicted to that for several weeks till I (did the Switch equivalent of) Platinum-ed it.

I bought it for 0.59 cents.

That was my "Last of Us" for the Switch.

Got gifted a few others like Luigi's Mansion and Warioware... but haven't actually "bought" any of the ~€60 games since that starter set.

Mainly get 1st party games as gifts from those that can't figure out what to get me for Xmas

I've yet to try either Switch Zelda title (yes, I am That Switch Owner) but must admit that Mario Odyssey and Bowser's Fury were both absolutely joyful experiences.

Seems this kind of anger rears its head with each new Nintendo format, a counter balance perhaps to the bulk of opinion who can't wait to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

Looking for first child Switch advice folks :) I have a Switch myself and my 7 year old uses it a bit. Got her Switch Lite for Christmas. When setting up her account, is it best to create an email address for her and give her her own account. Or should I set her up as a child account linked to my own account?

Child account linked to your own would be best.

My son has a lite, while I have a launch Switch.

Because I play mine at home and he uses his pretty much everywhere, I made his the primary device so he doesn't have to search for a network to authorise play.

I'm at home, always linked to the home network, so it doesn't impact me in the slightest.

Sound, I might so that so. She'll be playing at home 90% of the time anyway. I'm guessing she'll be able to access my games library and vice versa though so might have to look at anything there I don't want her playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

There is also a parental control app, which allows control of which games they can play

https://www.nintendo.com/my/support/switch/parentalcontrols/app/index.html

Cheers, I downloaded that app yesterday good to keep an eye. I checked my Switch last month and she had clocked up 100 hours on Donkey Kong Country :)

If using the child account method does that share subscriptions? I'm on a family sub myself but seeing as she enjoys SNES era games I was thinking of getting the Switch Online sub and get the expansion pack version for her Swtich Lite for more retro goodness for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ThePandazorian

Does that mean a dozen Fire Emblem movies?! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got a Nitro Deck from Santa today and after a quick run on it this evening I have to say it's excellent.

Much nicer to hold than a bare Switch and more comfortable than my previous Satisfy grip.

Back buttons are a nice touch (remind me of my Xbox Elite controller) and the thumb sticks seem really precise.

Edit: I'm not going to bother renewing my PS Plus subscription after the price increases and will pick up Wonder and Mario RPG instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone know what this star thing top left is about? In Mario Kart 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I googled ... It's for saving favourite races for replay.

Ah ok thanks! Got the booster pack on cdkeys so giving the new courses a go. I forgot how fun this game is.

Yup. It's a special game alright. You can always go back to it solo or with others for a quick spin. It's got a stupid number of tracks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

seem to have a slight issue here and i am hoping you kind folks can give me some advice

right so my son got a nintendo eshop 50 gift card and i redeemed it on the website as he was using the switch, i have a parent account as he is 9, the 50 is visible when i log into my account on the website but when he tries to use it for v bucks there's no sign of it, i have a sneaky feeling he wont be able to use it for v bucks now but if anyone knows a way i would be grateful

The internet isn’t for everyone

Yesterday I googled similar Downloaded Pokémon DLC under my account and my daughter had access to it on her account and Pokémon game. We are all on the same Switch with separate accounts.

Maybe vbucks are similar.

I dunno ... just googled ... Hmmm

Edit ...

Maybe you can purchase stuff and transfer stuff to someone else.

Need some fortnight parent expert

Have a look at the link below - you won’t be able to gift him v bucks directly but you can gift him certain items from the in game shop when logged in as yourself. If he’s looking for the battle pass then you can only gift him that by using real money to buy it. So if he wants the pass then use some of that 50 credit to gift it. Then you could convert the remainder of the 50 into v bucks and gift him some items from the shop. Or that’s my understanding of it anyway. I also have one kid hooked on that game 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thanks @Andrew76

The internet isn’t for everyone

Rumour: Bayonetta Trilogy releasing on Switch 2

I definitely think Bayonetta 3 was developed with a Switch Pro in mind, but they had the rug pulled out from under them when Nintendo scrapped it for the OLED model instead. Bayonetta 3 will benefit from the improved performance of Switch 2, all 3 games should.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Question: did F.I.S.T. ever get much love through patches? Seem to recall it was playable but very rough with some quality downgrades and performance drops so wondering if it's worth considering as it's on sale - but don't wanna wrestle with a garbage port.

• Advertisement

Going to connect the WiiU to the TV .. to make sure it's still working and to finish Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess SD which I started when they came out, but never got around to finishing them. I do have Twilight Princess HD, but I'm not restarting the game for that. I'll need some walkthroughs to remind me where I am and what's left to do. Skyward Sword also took me 6 years to finish. 😁

Those games are just painful to play compared to BOTW, TOTK and OOT. Too much busy work.

And when they are done. It's Majora's Mask on the 3DS.

Then that's the 3D Zelda's done.

Role (action RPG) on 2024 !

Switch 2 ‘likely to be iteration rather than revolution’, predicts analyst

Any sniff of 3 for the price of 2 offers around ? Amazon Germany and another German retailer used to do this, etc. Was handy for getting a first party Nintendo game for free. Used to happen around this time of the year.

Taiwanese Economic Forum reports the Nintendo Switch 2 will have a 120Hz screen and improved battery life, but only 8GB of ram and 64GB of Storage

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/192fevr/taiwanese_economic_forum_reports_the_nintendo/

Sounds suspect to me. Why would the Switch 2 have a 120Hz screen? And 64GB of storage is pitiful. But at the same time, it sounds like something Nintendo would do.

A 120Hz screen would be pointless if the games are doing 30/60 FPS max. It's difficult enough for developers to hit 60 on Switch as it is. 60 is plenty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not necessarily. Extra responsiveness can be a welcome addition to support variable refresh rates or non-traditional frame rates. For example, the 40 FPS modes on several PS5 titles are a significant improvement over 30 FPS on displays that support it - and, going by my Steam Deck experience, 40hz / 40 FPS is a good middle ground for performance vs battery life. 40 FPS would work best on a 120hz display.

120hz is quite high for portable screens though (Steam Deck OLED is only 90hz) so not sure I'd believe it until I see firm specs.

Agreed. 120hz even on PS5 isnt really a runner yet. Tried 120hz gran turismo 7 the other day. They had to remove so much detail it looked really bad. Only game Ive played suited to 120hz so far is Thumper.

An AI company may have just leaked the Nintendo Switch 2’s name and release month

Altec Lansing might have just revealed that Switch 2 launches this September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Exactly why ‘AI Company’ should be the biggest of red flags:

• Advertisement
Advertisement