Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming medical expenses at year end

• 26-12-2023 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

Hi all, seeking some advice with thanks in advance.

I usually submit my medical expenses at the end of the year and have always been able to input the total figures without providing receipts, and have always kept the hard copies. This evening the Revenue site is seeking receipts to be uploaded, which is proving problematic for two reasons;

1) the photos I take of my receipts are all deemed too large, I tried a few individual receipts but they were all deemed too large

2) it says I can upload a max of 3 images/receipts.

I have 30+ receipts between prescription charges, GP visits and Dental expenses between myself, my husband and children.

The website says it is mandatory to submit receipts since 2021 however I definitely did not do this before, so am wondering is there a way around this, or if not, can anyone suggest a way to submit the receipts in a way that the file is not deemed too large?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

You can upload a max of 3 files for each date you claim. The way to get round that is to enter each receipt individually (I have uploaded about 25 receipts for 2023, and did similar for 2022).

I was able to scan my receipts via PC, so they were small in file size. Can you resize the photo files, is there an app that might help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Ok great thanks for the tip and for explaining the thing about the date, much appreciated!

Revenue site advised me to screenshot each photo to reduce the image size which worked perfectly, tedious process but glad to have it done now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can also add them into a word file and print to PDF to make it one, reasonably sized file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭nhg

In an end of year claim the system will allow you to proceed without uploading the receipts BUT you must then retain the receipts for 6 years as you may be requested to submit a copy of them.

All claims for Non-Routine Dental MUST be accompanied by a Med 2 issued by the Dental Practitioner.

If you are unable to upload the receipts to the receipt tracker you can upload them as an attachment to a MyEnquiries. All receipts uploaded to the receipt tracker must be claimed on your eForm 12 income tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

When does the "end of year" method become available on the website ?

I have a large amount of receipts on file and I would prefer not to scan them and just retain them if required by the revenue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭relax carry on

It's available since the First of January. You just file your annual tax return declaring all sources of income and claiming any additional tax credits/reliefs you are entitled to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭horse7

Apparently you can't input any figures if your on a DSP as dept of social hasn't issued yearly payments yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

I'm looking to claim health expenses back for 2023 but I had to register for income tax over selling Rsu's I got from work last year and I set up an accountant as an agent. I haven't any credentials to log into the tax system, but I applied for a RAN number last week. Would I be right to think I can send in an updated form 11 with my medical expenses/WFH allowance even with an accountant set up as an agent?

• Advertisement

You don't have to register for income tax for selling RSUs. That's capital gains tax.

If your accountant told you otherwise you need a new accountant.

You should de-register for income tax and revert to PAYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thanks, I also had 4 years of back ESPP and RSU sales to clean up which was my bad and let the accountant sort those years for a reasonable fee. Can I only de-register once I get the RAN and cert details or can it be done overt he phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭shmeee

Best off to wait for your RAN to come, it will take 5 days or so. Then login to your ROS account and go to "Manage Tax Registration" and cease any tax heads you want to cease.

Advertisement