Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saltburn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Writer/Director Emerald Fennell who also wrote and directed Promising Young Woman which I haven't seen but heard was good and see it has high imdb and rottentomatoes scores.

I heard Grace talk about it in one of her videos saying it's produced by Margot Robbie and might be friendly fire going into awards season.

Another link I just noticed to Barbie is that Emerald Fennell was the character Midge .. yer wan who was pregnant.

Fairly hefty cast alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I loved promising young woman but I think it divided people on here a bit especially the ending. Carey Mulligan is terrific in lead would recommend it.

Stacked cast alright!

Not sure about that fella Jacob Elordis accent though in the trailer....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Emerald Fennell has come along way from Call the Midwife, she has written, produced and directed Saltburn

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

This looks like a blend of Brideshead Revisited, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Donna Tartt's novel The Secret History and I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'll go see it based on Promising Young Woman alone, terrific film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This is the first time I can recall the following on a movie page on IMDB:

• Sex & Nudity: Severe
    • Violence & Gore: Severe
    • Profanity: Severe
    • Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking: Severe
    • Frightening & Intense Scenes: Severe

Blimey!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Another Trailer

UK and Irish cinema release on 17th November

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this last night. Enjoyed the first half or two thirds, but I really felt this was a mess of a movie once once you get to the end. I had only seen trailers leading up to this, and liked Promising Young Woman except for the ending. Emerald Fennell dropped the ball there, and I think she does it again here, but in a different way. Her direction is solid, and the visuals are great, but I would like to see her work on something that is better written, or at least a better planned story. There are plenty of laughs throughout the first half of the film, but as the tone shifts and it delves into it's obsessive elements, it wasn't set up well enough to get there, and the characters end up more 2-D than when it started.

I once again can't go without mentioning another excruciating time at Cineworld for this preview. The audio of the adverts were extremely loud, manageable to a point until their own new advert came on that was near five minutes long, with two annoying yank twins at ear-splitting volume. The film was then much lower. At some point midway someone must have asked staff to turn it up and it went back up to the ear-splitting volume again. People around me were covering their ears, myself included at times with how loud it would get. I go to concerts all the time, so my ears are well used to loud, but deafening an audience because they are too lazy to sort out their levels if a joke.

Shout out to the man beside us who took off his shoes and stank up the place. Let me know next time you're going to the cinema and I'll make sure to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I won tickets to see it in the lighthouse next week.

I don't bother with previews in Cineworld for the reasons you outlined, they are usually heaving, the people attending aren't well behaved and the sound and experience in general can be shocking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Forgot to attend the screening near me yesterday. Hopefully, my local Cineworld show it as a regular when it's released.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

I saw this today in an empty cinema its quirky a cross between Call me by your Name & The Talented Mr Ripley. I loved it,its dark, funny and strange, and Barry Keoghan plays a blinder, worth a look. The final scene is priceless ! Some rather gratuitous scenes but they make it seem more real & creepy.

Post edited by Terrier2023 on

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

"murder on the dance floor" will never sound the same again !!🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just back from this... it's fine, but I was a little disappointed. I think Barry Keoghan needed to dial back his patented 'creepy weirdo' vibe a bit, as it really tips the hat towards his character's nature far too early, so nothing that unfolds feels like much of a surprise (also found himself slipping between accents a bit). It looks great though, and the pacing is decent.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally caught this last night and really enjoyed it, although it loses steam slightly in the third act.

Performances are good across the board in a "these are all awful people" sort of way, and it looks lavish, which works to sell the contrast between Coming From Money or not.

It's effectively a mix of The Talented Mr Ripley and Riot Club, mostly pulled off with flair.

I do wish that the pointless flashforward at the start (which had a whiff of those desperate first-five-seconds-of-a-film-trailer-on-youtube pre-roll clips) and the exposition towards the very end were snipped; it's a strong enough film that it doesn't need them, and would be stronger still if it didn't tip its hand in such an artless way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Went to see it yesterday evening. What a strange film. Like most here I enjoyed the first 75% of it, the last quarter not so much.

Looking at Barry Keoghan's performance I wonder is he becoming a bit typecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Saltburn – 9/10

My local had a member only screening, so the wife and I popped along with little to no anticipation or excitement. Hoping for a nice surprise. We got just that.

About a year ago we had a spat of films that tackled class structure such as Triangle of Sadness, Glass Onion and the near-unanimously popular The Menu. Saltburn very much keeps in with the same theme. Lumping all those films together, I think this comes out on top. It’s funnier, the cast is better, it’s darker, the plot is unpredictable, and the satire bites harder.  

This is Emerald Fennell’s follow up to Promising Young Woman, which I think is a great example of a film where the screenplay was excellent, but the execution was off. It had tonal issues, but Fennell clearly showed a lot of potential.

Saltburn is a leap forward in every way. She gets top performances out of everyone. Barry Keoghan looks likely to follow up last year’s Best Supporting Actor nomination (Banshees) with a Best Leading Actor nomination. Rosamund Pike gets plenty of laugh out loud lines and is on her best form since Gone Girl. Richard E. Grant often pops up in things and underwhelms (Rise of Skywalker I’m looking at you) but here he is in Withnail & I mode, hamming it up a treat in a tailor-made role. He could’ve done with a few more lines.

This is a gorgeously shot picture, with several impressive Scorsese style tracking shots and long takes. It reminded me a little of The Shining in the way it maps out the location and immerses you in its lavish surroundings. With the Saltburn estate being a parallel to the Overlook. There’s even a hedge maze so it surely must have been a reference point. 

If you like the films I mentioned at the top of my review, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this. For me, it’s this years The Menu, in that it came out of nowhere and ended up being a lot of fun. It's a little slow to get going, but other than that I have no major complaints. 

There’s a good chance that Fennell is going to get another Oscar nomination or two from this. I’m going to predict another double; Best Director and Best Screenplay. So that will be two feature films, 4 nominations and 1 (or more) win(s). Talk about being quick out of the blocks.

2/5. Bit all over the place. Script was awful. Shocks for the sake of it that added nothing to the story. Could see where it was going early on. Good performances and looked beautiful though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Disappointing.

Plot was rubbish - could see what was coming from early on.

The actors try their best with the ludicrous plot and dialogue.

Silly way OTT “shocks” just to keep the plot motoring on, sign of poor writing.

Some funny scenes which were not meant to be funny.

BK is being typecast as the “shifty untrustworthy” type.

The location itself (the country house) looks good on screen.

Overall 2/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the "transgressive" scenes don't really earn their place in the film and feel a bit like self-conscious attempts to shock.

I read a piece about the film suggesting that the intention of those scenes is to show that Oliver has some extreme impulses and is not afraid to indulge them - but the only one that made any sense to me while watching was the scene with Venetia. The bathtub scene (and its setup) just felt contrived and silly, ditto the graveyard scene. They might have landed more effectively as indicators that Oliver is A Wrong 'Un if the film hadn't already tipped its hand on that in the first act. Even aside from that, the transgressive acts are ones that indicate Oliver's desire to possess or consume Felix in a sexual sense - but Oliver's behaviour elsewhere suggests mostly that Oliver wants Felix's friendship and acceptance, rather than that push & pull between wanting to take his place and wanting to become entangled with him.

I still think there's a lot to like in the film, but those transgressive elements ...I don't know. They're missing something, and feel a bit too self-satisfied in their attempt at provocation. (Whereas 20 years ago Takashi Miike's Visitor Q had a much less flashy presentation over a frankly much weirder agglomeration of events, somehow held together primarily by a peculiar deadpan tone...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

The only film I left early from, it's nothing to do with the actors, it's a brutal movie. Go and see killers of the flower moon if you want an enjoyable evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

I enjoyed this film. Its entertaining and I liked watching it. Possible a bit too long though and it did lose itself towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

100% agree thought most of the film was great but those scenes felt forced plus the last 20 minutes was a let down, the last scene particularly was there to shock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Couldn’t get into this film at all, the story just wasn’t worth making into a film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Atrocious stuff alas. The first act had me thinking it mightn’t be as bad as the rapidly forming negative consensus suggested, but as soon as they got to Saltburn all bets were off. There’s no coherency to the characters’ actions, especially Oliver’s. They change radically from scene to scene. Tonally it’s all over the place, and the ‘transgressive’ scenes are just empty, shallow shocks for shocks shake. It just goes into a nosedive around 30 minutes in and never gets close to recovering. The Talented Mr Ripley this is not, no matter how desperate it is to be so.

It’s a shame, because Fennell can a) direct actors and b) compose a shot quite well (with the assistance of her DP and team of course). There are moments when it resembles something coherent - especially a handful of montage sequences that have some sense of tone and place (although still not sure what the film gains from being set in the mid-00s, other than Fennell was in university then?). But none of it comes close to coming together, and the back half in particular seems like a terrible patchwork of half-realised ideas, rambling plot and inconsistent characters. It’s a film about nothing, told badly.

I don’t know if I’d quite say it’s the worst film of the year, because I saw both The Flash and Shazam 2 on planes recently and they’re both unique levels of dire. But this is viscerally bad in ways film operating at this level of prestige rarely are, and even some talented cast and camera teams can’t save this from bellyflopping hard.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭brevity

It kinda just made me want to watch The Talented Mr Ripley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

7/10 here, sort of felt like an episode of Skins repackaged into an Oxford and country estate setting. There just was not enough character development in this although there were great performances from Barry Keoghan and Richard E Grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought it was rather good, not as good as Promising Young Woman but pretty good all the same.

I think Oliver himself found himself unexpectedly spiralling, and very much loved the idea of Felix but not specifically Felix. He just wanted a "Felix" in his life, but then once he had it that alone wasn't enough and the hunger just grew and he can't help himself.

I am not really a Barry Keoghan fan at all but he is good in this, as is everyone else. His accent wavers quite a lot but his actual performance is really solid. I'd give it a 7/10. It's a well constructed and fascinating watch even if the whole thing doesn't come together as it might have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

This was an interesting one, certainly one I won't forget.

I don't think it tells a story that we haven't heard before, especially in a British context. The location was fantastic and visually its stunning. The story was fairly predictable and it seemed to teeter on the edge of believability. The comedic elements certainly soften what is actually a very dark tale.

I was left wondering what Oliver's initial motivation for the whole thing was. Is the fascination with Felix because of him being handsome and nice or because he wants to be the popular, rich guy? What is he really running away from? There does seem to be some simmering tension with his own father but I don't remember that being explained any further. He does come across as quite lost and there's a hint of him thinking he's smarter than everyone else.

The interaction between the two leads was quite impressive and a complex one. I first thought Felix was just going to use Oliver but we later see several sides to Felix. The parents did feel like some kind of cliches (the eccentric, feckless landowner and the charitable wife) and I think more could have been shown of the siblings between them.

Keoghan's accent did slip a bit and I wonder was that why they gave him a character from Liverpool (an accent that has been influenced by Irish immigration). He was very good, hard to take your eyes off him. Its quite impressive just how much he can change his face and he was very good at playing the humble and servile type when he's scheming on the inside. Grant and Pike were entertaining as well and the cousin was perfectly obnoxious.

It was a good film and worth a watch on its own but I don't think it's as polished as Promising Young Woman and hardly an original story.

Yes definitely got Ripley feel and agree Keoghan is a revelation, wasn't keen on the ending half but overall a good flick

• Advertisement

It is on Amazon Prime now

Advertisement