Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

More injuries for Munster. An absolute curse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

At what point does it go from being unlucky to something of concern for strength & conditioning and/or medical teams to look at.

Well break them down. Today was hia for killer. Edwin's knee collapsed under him. Kleyn has an eye injury. Etc. If it was muscle injuries like torn hammer or calf then you could ask questions of workloads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

It’s crazy the amount of injuries we have had in the second row these past 14 months. Just always feels like a continual crisis in that position group.

Ahern has been effective at 6 on the tramlines, but I’m not sure is the re-jig with JOD and Coombes working. JOD at 8 isn’t a good enough ball carrier to launch attacks off set pieces and catching 22/goal line dropouts. We’ve really struggled to get go forward ball these past weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Leaderless out there , serious questions about the “leadership group “ in the team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

To be fair, we were missing all of POM, Beirne and Barron went off after 7 minutes. That's a lot of leadership missing straight off the bat.

Gr saying achilles for edwin. Is that his 2nd or 3rd one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Looks like Edogbo is achilles according to the 42.

Did someone disturb an Egyptian tomb or something? Munster are absolutely cursed with second row injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

They said he already had two on commentary but I only know of one which kept him out of his entire year one academy season. Honestly Achilles is worse than ACL, given his history, depending on the severity it’s career threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Which team? Leinster look increasingly clueless post Jonny and always miss Ryan. Munster fkd without pom. Worrying for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Injured frontline players (forwards) at the moment, including those injured tonight:

1. Scannell
    2. Barron
    3. Kilcloyne
    4. Klyne
    5. RG Sneaky
    6. POM
    7. Wycherly
    8. Edogbo.

how did we only lose by 6 points tonight ? Fair dues to the players who stuck at it and never gave in.

What’s the likely lineup for Connacht , assume Casey & Crowley will have to be rested ?

1. loughman
    2. Clarke
    3. Jager
    4. Coombes
    5. O’Connell
    6. Ahearne
    7. Kendellan
    8. Gleeson
    9. Patterson
    10. Butler
    11. Daly
    12. Scannell
    13. Frisch
    14. Nash
    15. Zebo.
    16. ??
    17. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think you would be smart to lean into this some and rest coombes and ahern at least as well.

“Dave Kilcoyne, shoulder. Diarmuid Barron got a foot injury, Alex Nankivell as well. It’s quite a lengthy list there.

Not just 2nd row at this point...

Coombes is gonna need a rest at some point you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i appreciate the link, its paywalled.

is this his second Achilles on the same foot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It says he's not sure if it's the same one. But rowntree sounds pretty downbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Hopefully not. A young fella starting out and having broken into a starting team deserves a run of games to see if he can make the next move up to regular selection and onwards. Fingers crossed for him.

Stats are probably provisional at this point, but an indication of how much the weather impacted this one is that Munster are down for 71 passes.

That's significantly the lowest we've had since Prendergast came in, the next being the SA game where we had 105 (nearly 50% more passes). We're averaging is 171 since the start of last season.

You have to go back to that other best-forgotten Connacht game from 2021/22, again in awful conditions, to the last time we had fewer passes; 45 passes that night.

Weather absolutely had an impact but so did the Leinster rush defence. I was very impressed with the speed and pressure and munster were constantly being hit immediately and well behind the gainline

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All that works when the scrum and scrum half are under pressure or going backwards.

Well the scrum was more of a lottery. But why was Casey under so much pressure?

The weather was obviously a huge factor but even when munster did try and play ball they really weren't going anywhere. Admittedly it is easier to get around a rush defence in better handling conditions but they rarely seemed to get any passes out in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We were in the dugout bar before the game, staff didn't have a clue what they were doing and despite the weather the huge canopy they have was folded, the contactless entry didn't work for anybody in our group of 8, the eleven 14 coffee pod only had Bewley's instant and the queue at the bar seemed never-ending. People were standing in the stands blocking those sitting and no event steward was seen the whole game

Is there an attempt by Thomond Park management to have this game moved to PuC? They're going about it the right way

Which is fair, but honestly think the conditions were the more significant factor of the 2.

Add in the handling errors leading to scrums, whereas Munster want a high ball-in-play time and quick rucks, and it definitely suited Leinster's style more. It could easily end up being the lowest number of passes from the half-back pairing we see under Rowntree, however long he stays.

...and there are so many scrums because of the handling errors, due to the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On the bright side, things are unlikely to get a heck of a lot worse this season, certainly as far as injuries are concerned.

If a team don't want to play any rugby, and focus all their efforts on line speed and what annoyances they can get away with with the ref, well those are the perfect conditions where it can work. And still, we were a couple of mistakes by Crowley away from getting at least three scores against them, probably winning the game.

Plenty to be cheerful about. Zebo had a great game, and still has a nice burst of acceleration at his age. Nankivel brought some punch to his carries which I was very happy to see. Edogbo showed a real meanness at times that you need locks to have. Can't believe he's only turned 21 and everything crossed that the injury isn't too serious.

Much focus on Jager in the scrum, and I thought it was telling Leinster left their starting props on for nearly 75 minutes. But I also liked how he carried. Looking like a very useful signing.

A word too for Crowley, who was excellent in the conditions, despite being behind a patch quilt pack that wasn't getting purchase, and beside a 9 who was having an off night and issues with injuries. Two mistakes might be all some people focus on, but is he still only 23? A great night for his development. I hope in particular that he takes learnings from how well he controlled the game from 9 when Casey was in the bin. All bits and pieces to add to the wheelhouse.

Oh and maul defense considerably improved after some recent horror shows. Maybe adding Crowley was the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Long post got lost 😭 so I'll start again

I fully expected the breakdown to be stringently reffed after that first penalty but Brace seemed to lay down a marker then ignore it, just like he & Gallagher ignored McGrath at scrum time, Gallagher never impressed me as a ref, last night he showed his inept as an AR too.

I think Leinster managed the wind best, some of our exits, box kicking put us under pressure but at 6-3 we had an opportunity to go ahead but turned over three lineouts in a row, hard to win games like that. Our scrum was much better than I expected considering the line ups of both packs and we losing Barron & Killer much earlier than expected. Aside from his try saving tackle Zebo had a good game in awful conditions, Leinster seemed to target him in their kicking game and he caught every one of them.

We really managed the 10 mins of Casey's YC very well, keeping Leinster scoreless then was a huge plus.

Our maul D was much improved from the Glasgow game.

I agree with @aloooof on low pass rate, much lower than we've seen under the new coaching team.

That's significantly the lowest we've had since Prendergast came in, the next being the SA game where we had 105 (nearly 50% more passes). We're averaging is 171 since the start of last season

The SA game being another Siberian carwash of an evening.

Look, no system is perfect. And if Mother Nature has her say, we struggle to get our rhythm going. And credit to Leinster, they were relentless on D and played a huge part also.

But there's one key factor for me - we play the knock-out games and finals in late spring / early summer.

So yeah, it'd be great to make Thomond a fortress all year round. But I'd much rather we keep developing a game that can beat any team on the dry track late in the year when it's do or die.

I find it impossible to fathom that Mike P isn't working overtime to figure out a way to bring loose forwards into the attacking game more when the weather / conditions / opposition make it hard to pass or kick out wide. Every system leaves gaps, and he'll find them.

It’s hilarious to describe Leinster as a “team who don’t want to play any rugby” when Munster literally offered zero last night and could count the amount of 22 entrances on the fingers of one hand.

The conditions kept Munster in the game IMO, that and sloppy Leinster errors in scoring positions.

Leinster’s attack isn’t where it normally is at this time of the year, which is logical considering I imagine a lot of training minutes are devoted to embedding a new attacking system, there’s plenty of time to catch that up though.

Munster have more problems than just injuries though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Connacht v Munster - ref Chris Busby

Leinster v Ulster get Frank Murphy

Advertisement