Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuning Freesat with Sony Bravia

Options
  • 26-12-2023 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Feel I'm going around in circles here and really not sure if this is possible as I keep finding conflicting posts.

I have a Sony Bravia KD-49XG8096 and am connected directly to a Sky satellite dish. I was able to tune it but was only able to receive BBC 1, ITV 1 and Channel 4 plus about another 3 channels.

Is it possible to receive the complete Freesat channels and if so, how do I tune these?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

when you set the tv up you should set it to the uk and you should be asked for a uk post code. google for uk location that you want,most use london, pick a store and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nmissin

Thanks, I selected UK but was never asked for a UK postcode. Could that be because I connected my phone at the same time and allowed location etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dermo2014

It's not a Freesat tv, it's a tv with a built-in satellite tuner - there is a difference, so it won't ask for a postcode.

What setup did you have previously, did you have a sky box or another satellite receiver.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I just moved into this property and it already has a satellite fitted to the property for what I assume is a Sky satellite dish. So I've never had any type of receiver.

The TV picks up nearly 300 channels but only about 6 are actually watchable.

Do I therefore need to plug in a receiver? If so, what would be a recommended system and is there something I could use to receive the Saorview channels too? - I believe I need a seperage dish for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Grey123

My Sony has Freesat built in. Not sure if your model does. You can also tune them as normal satellite as you did and reorder. In my opinion save yourself a lot of hassle and don't. The system doesn't work well in Ireland. The what's on info doesn't load or if it does it doesn't update after a week.

My recommendation would be to get a Manhattan SX box for €70. Will give you full Freesat. My Sony remote controls the box once setup so seem less. Just change input. It can't record if you care about that.

Use the built in tuner for saorview. Think you select digital.

• Advertisement

It could be a sky q lnb and that will cause weird results. does lnb have 2 or 4 outputs and does it look new. do a pic if you can.

Just taken these, I can take better pictures if it'll help - was dodging the wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

As far as I can tell the XG80 series are NOT Freesat models, just basic Free-To-Air

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dermo2014

From my limited experience that looks like a 2 input wideband lnb from a Sky Q setup. So you will need to replace the wideband lnb with a "standard " quad lnb.

Pics are fine and that's the normal sky lnb. I cant figure the 3rd cable. Have you tried both cables as lnb's can fail and either do Horizontal or Vertical. The channels you mentioned above are all vertical.

And is it obvious you are selecting a full satellite and doing a full scan?

I have a sony 43X81J and it does Freesat Its 2021 and if I recall it took a while to set up!!

I did a search on how to tune satellite and got this for you.

Apparently the wideband outputs are parallel and the normal are vertical!! But very little knowledge of sky q lnb's

That's why I asked in first place and found the above

but did a search for old sky q lnb and found this And it looks like one in pic so as they are only gettting half the channels good chance its a sky q lnb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

@swoofer FYI The page i linked above shows if a Sony TV is Freesat compatible or not.

Yes, mines a 2019 and therefore doesn't have freesat - so I'll definitely need a box looking at that.

Okay, so maybe a change of the LNB too then.

Thanks for your help guys. Was hoping this would be a straight forward fix but looks I'll be ordering a few bits here and then see where we get.

Advertisement