Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke taking Christmas parties and work colleagues

• 27-12-2023 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was at Christmas party and have never seen as much open coke taking as this year, I was shocked at some of my hardworking work colleagues who I have lost all respect for. Like is this normal behaviour now and totally acceptable. Like there is drug testing in the organisation but I persume it will be gone out of system when they all get back to work.

Post edited by Nody on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

They are engaging in an illegal activity that can be directly linked back to gangland murders. I’d have no hesitancy in contacting HR about it.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

Where was the party on in office or public place? Either way sure it an offense to her sit there taking drugs.

As previous poster said they are contributing towards so much crime I would not let it slide report somewhere with organisation and to Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭jackboy

Before reporting it you would want to be 100% sure HR were not also involved in the drug taking and they did not know about it. Things could get very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

If you didn't say anything at the time then why are you having a problem now.

if you were uncomfortable then you should have said something or left. i really can't see the point of involving hr unless you think this has a direct impact on their work .

You could have a one on one with them if you have a relationship but otherwise what do you want to achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭iniscealtra

That’s not ok. I would report it to my boss or HR. It’s an illegal activity and if it’s a work event jasus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,421 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Keep you own nose clean, (pun intended) and let them off. No point getting tangled up in that mess and as said above, HR staff likely equally involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

What do you expect to outcome to be, if you bring this up to HR or the Gardaí now? What's done is done.

My HR issued a strongly worded email before our official Christmas Party, outlining the conduct expected of employees at said party. It included no excessive drinking, no inappropriate behaviour or sexual harassment, and definitely no use of illegal substances.

Unless your HR did something like this, than I think the most you can expect by raising it after the fact, is them issuing an email like the above next year.

Don't expect any criminal investigations to come out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I won't be reporting anything to any one because what I saw is that they were all at it and I was offered a bit myself but refused it, we had kind of of our own function room with a free bar and things were fairly messy. Not nice to see young colleagues with kids at home just don't like it.

I personally wouldn't be bothered reporting it. If as the OP has highlighted the was open for all to see then it would seem to be an accepted culture from Management within the organisation. (Maybe Finance OP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I can understand that, it's not the kind of party I would enjoy either - but adults are going to do what they want on their own time.

Sometimes you just have to let them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm dreaming of a white xmas

Unlike the one I used to know

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Talk to Joe Duffy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What you have just witnessed was the Real pandemic in this country. Addiction.

Dont be too shocked, so many people are hooked on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What i find hilarious about the cocaine epidemic is the assholes in every town that always looked down on people smoking weed or taking yokes etc are all mad into coke now , the GAA should be worried

The worrying thing is they all do it so they can drink more , I know one alcoholic that finds coke a godsend

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

The office worker we'd all hate to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not in office job but you are right that I should not have been there and will not go next year and now have an excuse not to next year, didn't want to go this year but managment made a big deal about going to it, team building and bonding and all that lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Write to HR and suggest that an exlicit warning about illegal drug use be issued before next year's party. If the do this then you'll have a basis for other action next year, if they do not do it then do not go and state that you don't want to be among takers of illegal drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭facehugger99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭jackboy

Writing to HR with demands is not a good career strategy.

• Advertisement

• Personally I would be angry about this, I would be reporting it for a magnitude of reasons:

Cocaine feeds the drug cartels and contributes to great amounts of crime, not only in Ireland but all over the world.

Cocaine use causes behavioural problems, and when a person uses it when doing anything important like driving, working in a job where safety is important, looking after children, lives are put at risk.

Cocaine is a very dangerous drug. It was stopped in medical use for the very good reason it can cause sudden cardiac death. There are any number of examples of this happening with well-known figures.

Lastly, any company would/should want to know that key employees are using cocaine as it could badly affect the business and company’s reputation.

Back in the day I’ve reported at least one colleague who had severe alcoholism and was drinking throughout the day and some of the time working with children. She had become unreliable, careless, incoherent. Yes, she was sacked or left the job, but I was happy to see that decades later this very intelligent person dealt with her issues admirably.

Turning a blind eye helps nobody and only contributes to the cycle of dysfunctional life.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Jesus Christ don’t go near HR about it. Good lord. I say that as someone who doesn’t touch it but like that is extremely naive advice and I’d be hesitant if the people giving it would actually do the same.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An employer organised party is a work environment.

If HR were involved, I'd be job hunting now.

• Set up a throw away email account and email HR and the CEO and leave it at that. If they don’t take some kind of action (even if just token) then start planning a job search.

what people do in their own time is their business but if they are openly breaking the law in each others company it’s a work environment I wouldn’t want to be involved with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

First of all it is not OK and people get a way with this kind of crap because people are will to turn the other way. Secondly and far more important is the impact decision making and a safe working environment. If people are openly doing this, then you can be sure they won't have any qualms about going into work after wards. If these people are operating machines etc... then it could very well impact others in the work place or in public.

The OP said testing is part of the culture, which almost always means there is a safety reason for this.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Though employers have responsibility at work outings, really it was a social event. It’s not ok, but it isn’t really something the op should get embroiled in by reporting to HR. Whether we like it or not, social drug use is now a fact of life. From a career perspective, nothing good can come from the op reporting his/her colleagues, HR will likely view it as use on their own time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Stryker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement