Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drone for the farm

Options
  • 27-12-2023 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

The sisters husband was asking me about a drone for his farm, he wants to use it for checking his sheep on hilly land. He heard you can buy cheaper drones on Temu.

I have a DJI Mini 2 myself which I do use on the farm sometimes and find it good. It's easy to use, has good software and app etc, range good 2 or 3 km no bother, and battery not bad, I was getting 25 mins when weather was calm and the battery was new... under the 250g limit which I think is a big deal???You can buy it now for around €450 that's with the 'fly more kit" which is extra batteries etc.

Has anyone found a good one for farm use which might be cheaper? Temu etc ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭OrangeBadger

If you are going to buy a drone get a good one which has a remote controller with a screen, I got the mini 3 this year and it is a serious bit of kit, farm expense for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Wouldn't look past the DJI Mini's, perfect for a beginner and get the 3 if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

Do they not drive the cattle mad? Saw someone using one over fields with young cattle back in the summer and even though it was at a good height and fairly quiet they were stampeding around like wildebeest 😬.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Might have thought it was the sound of the Gadfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Cattle on an out farm go mad when the neighbours fly theirs. Gadding goin around the field with tails up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Do you have to register these when ya buy them in order to fly them?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

If it's under 250g in weight, then no I don't think so. If it's over then who knows, there's probably a way around it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Cattle get used to them very very quickly. I use a DJI mini 3 to check cattle 2km away as the crow flies with no issue. She's currently 3 legged though awaiting a hinge after a disagreement with a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If it has a camera then yes, regardless of weight. Note that it's the operator is registered and not the drone (although larger commercial drones need to be registered AFAIK)

It's quite simple to do, takes 20 minutes or so online to go through the rules/guidelines video and answer 40 questions. Costs €30 then to register for two years. For commercial use there's extra work and testing to be done

I've no doubt that loads of people ignore the regulations though. Most people go with the 'under 250g' maxim but fail to heed the note about the camera !!

Whether or not using it on a farm would constitute 'commercial use' is a million dollar question. I would presume though that if you put it down as a farm expense you may be opening the door to this. Honest answer to that question though is that I don't know. (and I know nothing about farming!!)

IAA Website (Drone Page) : https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones

In response to the original question I'd stick to the Mini 2/3 as well. They're definitely the best around and anyone I ever met that bought the cheaper ones always ended up upgrading to DJIs' in any case. Easily available parts and the regular software updates alone are worth it.

Imagine someone coming around looking to see if you have registered a drone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It happens... Generally speaking though it's only after a complaint from someone or some act of complete stupidity.

There's been a few people done here including one dope who flew over an Ed Sheeran concert. Loads more done in the UK and around Europe as well. Pretty much the same rules apply around all of Europe.

When I got mine I mentioned to neighbours just incase they saw it because they would be amazing tools for basstards looking to rob equipment on a farm.

I agree with above poster just don't be a dope and realise where the drone is, you might be looking at something in the distance yet hovering someone's house/yard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What should you do if you hear/see a drone flying over your farm/yard/house etc. I think (stand corrected) that drones cannot be flown within certain meters of private property unless the user has permission from the land owner.

TBH if one was flying over here and I got the opportunity I would get the shotgun out ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have one with 4 or 5 years now and can honestly say the cows never took a blind bit of notice of it even when it was only a couple of meters above them. Fair handy tool checking stock on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone know a model that can be controlled completely remotely? As in I could be away for a weekend and control the drone back in Carlow with live footage coming back to the hotel in West Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

No idea about that at all, normal drones work off a system similar to wi-fi which is what limits your range.

Advertisement