Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke taking Christmas parties and work colleagues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That's the argument society puts forward when they've lost control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The majority of people don't drink alcohol at work and I'm sure there was a lot more alcohol drank than coke taken, just because someone does something at a party doesn't mean that they'll do it at work.

If the drug taking was so rampant then management and HR already know, if management and HR don't know then the OP is exaggerating. It's not like people haven't been doing drugs in the jacks or popping pills as they go out for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I meant to reply to the fella who would report it to HR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No not really. You buy it from these people. They literally murder each other for that cash. People have as much responsibility for this as the lads murdering each other. No market no cash. Own it. It's disingenuous to shirk personal responsibility tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They're just f** themselves and their health up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 geronimo123

Not a nice situation, but I would advise you to stay well away from HR, let them do the job they're paid well to do - they're probably well aware of the situation already. As you get older, you accept it's best just to do your own job and keep you head down at work - let HR do the company's bidding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Forgive my ignorance but how does it let you drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No they won’t, a work party is an extension of work, there’s already case law on it, can’t remember the cases off hand, one was an assault that happened at a party after the work party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭scottser

A work party is a work environment. You're expected to show some restraint and maturity, the same as you would at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Behave.

Everyone of them will deny it leaving the op swinging in the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I work in a venue that has Christmas work parties every year and every year the toilets are destroyed with coke. Nothing would give us greater satisfaction than someone tapping us on the shoulder and saying "there's 2 lads in that cubicle hoovering up half of Colombia." Such lads get frog-marched out the door and have to explain their absence themselves. If that results in their HR people having words with them I really could not care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jackiebt

Not condoning the drug taking but I'd mind my own business. If you report it how can you be sure it won't come back to you? I wouldn't fancy working in a place where I dropped a dime on colleagues, it'd be hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Exactly. If a sexual assault happens at a work party, it becomes a work environment very quickly.

It's pretty sad state of affairs where the stuff that fuels a Wild West style shoot up and stabbing in a restaurant packed with people at xmas is totally normalised and everyone turns a blind eye to this fúckery. Gonna be fun when the party powder people come crawling to rehab to wean them off down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭jackboy

Also, without rock hard evidence there could be disciplinary action if individuals are accused. You can't just tell HR someone is on cocaine with no proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭iniscealtra

You can absolutely tell HR that there was open cocaine use at the Christmas party. You don’t have to mention names. Just say that it made the atmosphere extremely uncomfortable and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Report to HR and demand compo in the form of promotion or increased/ad hoc bonus for the stress that’s been caused to you or else you get Gardai involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

All Conor McGregor fans I'd say.

They all think he is the king of the world, so follow his lead in shoving crap up their noses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,674 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Mentioned already, but an official work night out is basically an extension of work. That can mean from start of party until you get home work rules apply.

If people can't handle their drink or temper they should never attend such events. I know people in pervious jobs that were sacked for fighting at a party, and another who was sacked for fighting with a bouncer. Zero tolerance in a lot of companies.

As for the OP, if you want to report to HR maybe do it annonomoisly with a unidentified email account. You could cc some senior management. If you do that they'll need to address it, and it won't personally affect your future prospect at work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

All sorts are taking it these days.

It is funny when middle class types who seek out cruelty free plant based foods and ethically sourced goods leave their conscience at reception when it comes to coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

Coke is literally destroying the world, it induces risky overconfident behaviour at every level of society ( especially among politicians who set national policy ).

It also fuels crime and massive environmental destruction.

Worst drug ever, far worse than heroin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

OP, as many have said you should report your concerns around this illegal activity. Those who were taking it were taking a huge risk doing so at a company event. Their wreckless behaviour should not be acceptable to any business.

Whether you report this directly or anonymously is up to you. It may be impossible for HR to do anything without direct evidence etc., but that should not deter you from voicing your concerns.

Taking cocaine is becoming far too normal, which is leading to a disonnect by users from the societal impacts. It may be the ultimate party drug, but the supply of cocaine is no party.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems like the contracted random drug tests would clear it up. I'd gather various folks are regular weekly users anyway not just Christmas party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

You can throw out all of the clichés you want, coke is a huge issue in this country that goes way beyond the influence of one scummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Where do people come up with this shite. I've seen lads doing drugs in the jacks since the 90s, when McGregor was in primary school, how is that following his lead? People have literally been doing this stuff for half a century or more.

What's actually funny is all the Maude Flanders hand-wringing brigade coming on here hypocritically spouting about ethical considerations..........as they sit around eating Nestlé chocolate, wearing Penneys pyjamas, drinking Starbucks coffee, looking out the window as the binmen take away all their amazon packaging, as they gift sports clothing made in a sweatshop that they drove around using Shell/topaz/Circle K fuel to reach. Careful you don't get a nosebleed up there on that high horse.

None of the posters who've brought up the ethical considerations have an ounce of credibility when they easily turn a blind eye to all the other crap going on in the world they support, directly, with their money. Tesco, Disney, KFC, Apple, Shein, Facebook, Temu, Nike, Boeing, EA Sports, Victoria's Secret, Microsoft, Google, the entire Hollywood industry.........It is impossible to live in the modern western society without being balls-deep in the blood of innocents and anyone lambasting cokeheads for what they themselves are guilty of (no matter how much denial they are in) can go and shite.

I can hear the excuses already, so spare me......."yyyyeah, but, no, you see that's different because.....reasons......I mean Steve Jobs wasn't shooting people in a restaurant in blanch, now, was he?"

No he wasn't. He was too busy forcing workers to live in rat-infested dormitories, working 12 hour shifts, and installing anti-suicide nets in the workplace to stop them from killing themselves. Ever used an iPhone? Or bought anything in Penneys? Or flown on an airplane? Then you're just as bad as the "yup bros" doing coiners in the jacks.

Alcoholics are occasionally hindered by a thing called sleep which puts an end to their night , coke prolongs the night which facilitates more Alcohol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yeah Right!

Just one more thing .... (as Steve Jobs would say) ... being a consumer of FMCG or other things like fuel, electronics, clothing is not illegal activity, whereas, supply, possession or consuming cocaine is.... Yeah, that's right, illegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

WTF has that got to do with anything related to ethics? The whole realm of ethics specifically ignores the rules, laws, customs and perceived notions that exist elsewhere in the world. Being gay used to be illegal, and punching your wife around, then forcing her to have sex used to be legal. Using the legal status of something as an ethical barometer is pretty stupid behaviour, if I'm being honest. If they legalised it tomorrow, are you saying you'd no longer have issues with the cartels beheading each other overnight? You'd just flick a switch in your head and boom, "it's legal now so there's no more ethical considerations as far as I'm concerned"?

That's pretty messed up, dude.

• Advertisement

He's referring to the trafficking and human cruelty and slavery that make those products not the actual sale of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement