Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car crash price- back axle?? panel beating

• 27-12-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there

a car crashed into me today and caused a bit of damage to my wheel and back door - I’m sitting here hoping it’s not a write off as it’s a 2012 and I don’t know if the pay out would be much, I’d rather my little car fixed up. 2012 golf TDI. Do you think this will be expensive fix ? The back wheel is bent in, alloy broken, door frame is wrecked, needs panel beating and respray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

You would get either the car repaired, or the cost of replacing it with a like for like model.

Let the insurance company worry about it. That's what you pay them for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭junkyarddog

That is a write off I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Agree that's a write off.

That's structural damage to rear door c-pillar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rachel1000

Yes thank you I’ve made the phone calls today, took around 4 hours but with the time of year haven’t got very far, it had to be towed to a repair shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Agree if its down to the insurance company definitely a write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 rachel1000

😒 do you wreckon, I was afraid so!

Its a bit of damage to a wheel arch. I'm not saying it's not an economic write off, but it's certainly repairable and I've seen plenty of similar damage in that area of the car repaired.

I can't speak for the wheel damage as I can't see what's damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Just buy the car back off and them and fix it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

This might end up your best option- but what you need to do is get a quote from a larger panel beater and send it to the other persons insurance. They might ask you to get their crash repair place to review too. My guess is that using all new parts and going through insurance it would be more than the value of the car - I'm guessing circa 5k, so in that case they will write off the car and offer you the value. You could then buy the car off them (probably for less than 2k and then you arrange to fix it up- but realistically to make it worth your while you'd want a small panel beater who would source secondhand parts (which are widely available).

• Advertisement

If you did decide to buy the car I reckon the bodywork could be fixed up for under €1000, it doesn’t really look like it needs new parts to me. Its a 12 year old car so you might not need an absolute perfect job. You’ll probably need a new wishbone too and a new set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

No question that it is a write off, needs an axle, stub axle, bearing, benching, quarter panel repair / sill pull and a door plus painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Have you seen the angle of the rear wheel? needs parts no question, the rear subframe has got to be damaged

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

I was in a similar situation with my 2010 Audi A4, got damaged more or less the same amount as your car, insurance wrote it off and paid me 5.5k then they sold the car to a dealer for 2k, then the dealer fixed it and sold it online for €6k.

the insurance wrote it off because it wasn’t worth their time to continue paying for a hire car whilst they paid top dollar for brand new parts from Audi. I considered buying the car back myself and fixing it - priced it at about €1200 to source 2 panels, get them painted, and a headlight, and could’ve fit them myself.

my point being, they’ll write off cars when it isn’t worth it for them to fix it because they have to use top name garages with high labour rates using brand new OEM parts, whilst paying for a hire car in the meantime. But somebody privately fixing it could source the parts and get it fixed for much cheaper using 2nd hand panels etc, I’m not saying doing a half arsed or dodgy repair, but there’s no reason to go and pay huge money for things like a door when you can get one from a breaker for half nothing and get it sprayed

Btw, your car is 100% an insurance write off. However as I said above, it still may be viable for you to get it repaired.

one thing I didn’t see here already was the fact that if an insurance company decides that car is a write off, it is recorded on a national database against the registration number and VIN number, anybody looking to buy your car when the time comes to sell, will most likely use a site like Motorcheck or Cartell etc to run a history report, and the write off status will be flagged, this will significantly impact the value of the car, you need to take this into consideration.

Of course it needs parts, I never said otherwise. I’ve bought loads of crashed and a new wishbone usually sorts it. But like you say it could be the axle, who knows.

All valid points, but the car is currently 12 years old and it seems OP has no plans to sell any time soon so the chances of the write off status being discovered by a potential buyer or it even effecting the cars value is pretty slim considering it will probably be a 15 year old car by then only worth a couple of grand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats not structural damage- that door surround comes as part of the quarter panel. To me it looks like the car was hit side on.

Rear axle could be as simple as a torsion bar / wishbone bent - I highly doubt the axle is gone.

Door is repairable without replacing / quarter panel needs to be replaced.

Its repairable alright but would probably be an economical write off either Category c or d but its definitely not a safety related write off - A or B.

Impossible to say it’s not structural? Highly likely the chassis is dented behind the door full area

Have you ever carried out car body repairs? I have, and I suspect some of the other poster have too. I am telling you that is not structural damage. The car got sideswiped.

If the chassis is damaged behind panel, does that not mean its structural?

• Advertisement
Advertisement