Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

The link to Financial Times in article is even more politically interesting than the assumption I have made that countries will just directly send money to Ukraine

”’This scheme would involve participating member states issuing guarantees to the eu budget, enabling the European Commission to borrow up to €20bn on capital markets for Kyiv next year, people briefed on the talks said. The precise terms are still under discussion and the final amount would be set according to Ukraine’s needs, they added.

The arrangement is similar to the structure used in 2020 when the commission provided up to €100bn in cheap financing to EU countries for short-term work-support schemes during the Covid pandemic. 

Crucially, the option would not require guarantees from all the EU’s 27 member states, as long as the main participants included countries with top credit ratings.”

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Now you're just trolling. Almost 40k post in total, an active user in a "Russia" thread, and you don't know what vatnik is? Give me a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Any word on what this is meant to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

They've only built a few of them, including prototypes, so I doubt we'll find out any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your view is purely Anti immigrants/Ukrainians full stop...

Let's deport them all it will make things ok ....

No

• Advertisement

Another wonderwaffen ,

If they have several hundred or several thousand available they could cause serious problems,you might get the odd one in a propaganda video at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unfortunately Ukraine is not getting near enough military support and it is showing.

The reality is that the counter offensive failed.

World focus is rapidly moving away from the region.

The Russians will be better prepared, more experienced and in greater numbers, Moscow doesn't care that vatniks are dying in great numbers. All it cares about is holding what it has taken.

Ukraine needs a serious game changer now if this conflict isn't going to sink in to long term stasis.

I think that it is now too late, the job is too big and the will from the West to support them was always too half hearted, mad considering the severe consequences of Russia being able to claim some sort of victory and holding what they have, even while being reduced to the 3rd world is still something they'll celebrate as one and which others will see as a profound strategic defeat for Europe and America.

Putin will start the year more confident and Ukraine less confident.

The price of that will be paid for years by the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"I think that it is now too late..."

Your post very much implies somehow time is on putin's side. Just some of the headlines I have read today spell out how Ukraine is settling in for a long term fight against putin's forces occupying its territory. The daily address from Zelenskyy explains how he expects the indigenous war industry in Ukraine will become one of the top ten arms producers in the world. Another article pointed out how they plan to start their own mass production of 155mm artillery shells next year after already having prototypes in testing and are already producing lots of the other ammunition in use by their armed forces themselves.

The drones they home produce for the fight against putin's troops and equipment are also widely respected and proving effective on the battlefield. The game changer they need to defeat putin's army may not be one they import from another country but something they develop themselves (or more likely a number of things they develop themselves with support of their allies) and while economic aid to Ukraine may have had some recent delays, none of their allies have said anything about moving away from the long term support they have pledged to Ukraine for as long as it takes to defeat putin and his criminal empire building dreams. Only the most delusional pro putin puppet could paint what is happening to putin's forces in Ukraine as any type of victory.

Lots of speculation over the last few days of what type of weapon took down a number of putin's attack aircraft but another option is also reported to be active in Ukraine's air defense and it demonstrates why Ukraine will win. They know what putin's forces have that needs to be defeated and will find the answers:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This is interesting

Iwonder if it's F16 in transport (according to armchair reddit generals)

All Eyes On Rafah

You would think when they get them, they would do a high value target somewhere for their 1st mission. Something for moral and a look here we told you all along we could use them and use them in the best way possible. Send us more of them as we can do serious things with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'd say they burn just as well if not better than their tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

To be a "game changer " in attack ,the f16s would need to be used in mass, to the edge of their capabilities,, and accepting large losses - Ukraine has 18 planes and newly converted pilots - they cant take losses,

They can however be successful in defence, they can keep russian jets 50 to 100km back from the front line,limiting Ru ability to use glide bombs, or to be top cover for helicopters attacks,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

+250million dollars from US on sky news there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Imagine the F16s will be used for defence against drones and cruise missiles. For the initial operating period. Free up SAM systems in certain points.

As regards that Russian Howitzer, will probably be produced and fielded in the low double digits. Of course it might be ineffective if it is loaded with off spec North Korean ammunition or fired beyond its barrel life.

There is an interesting gem buried in article that Japanese are producing 155mm shells for UK who forward it to Ukraine, good luck to Russia competing with much larger Japanese industrial might.

There's been previously GPS issues over the last two years, could be related

Yeah, those yokes are just infantry support vehicles similar to the Bradley or other IFVs but the emphasis is on firepower rather than transporting and protecting troops , twin 30 mm cannons and missiles should be a pretty effective system,but like everything else in the Russian military industry over the last few years they take a concept and rather than spending the time developing platforms they jump straight to limited production runs ,they used a few of them in Syria before Ukraine,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

That FrankenSAM thing has got me thinking. We know that the Ukrainians have managed to integrate both the AGM-88 HARM anti radar missile and the Storm Shadow cruise missile into their existing Su-24 fleet, albeit with limited functionality on the AGM-88. And the FrankenSAM project seems to basically be a Soviet era Kub launcher equipped with either RIM-7 "Sparrow" missiles or the ground launched version of the AIM-120 AMRAAM, so we know that they're able to make soviet era sensors "talk" to western weapons systems, at least to a certain degree. Could it be possible that Ukraine has found a way to integrate the AIM-120 into its existing MiG-29 or Su-27 force? Could that be a possible explanation for the recent shootdowns of advanced Russian aircraft?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sounds plausible to me. The Ukrainians are ideally placed to integrate ex soviet systems with modern NATO standard equipment and I'd be very surprised to see them make public all of the ways they have been doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Isn't the most plausible explanation the planes were shot down with the additional Patriot supplied by Germany. It's pretty much the same effect as the 5 planes/helicopters shot down over Bryansk in Russia back in May. It's been confirmed by Ukraine that it was a patriot system.

Ukraine would also have to upgrade their MIG/SU radars to increase the range to match the AIM-120. Unless they fired them in the general direction as fox3's, so without a radar lock and let the AIM-120 use it's own radar to search for a target. It's risky, but not like any Ukrainian planes would be in the air in front of them.

It gets better the Indians are having a very hard time paying Russians for oil and that’s before Yemenis starting firing on India bound ships

https://x.com/insightnewsme/status/1739993853422108865?s=20

Depends on where the shootdown occurred. I don't remember reading anything about that, so that's a genuine question on my part.

Generally, Patriot is a very powerful system, but while it is vehicle-mounted, it isn't exactly mobile in the same way that for example a PzH-2000 or HIMARS would be mobile. It takes a bit of time to set it up and connect up the launchers & radar to the command post. Plus, it's a high-value system, so you wouldn't place it too close to the front. Now, if the shootdowns occurred over Ukrainian-held territory then sure, it could easily have been a Patriot, NASAMS or an IRIS-T system, but if they happened, lets say over the Black Sea or well into Russian-held Donbas, that could indicate an airborne system of some sort.

EDIT: It could also be that the Ukrainian Air Force has simply become a little less risk-averse, now that there's the promise of at least a certain level of reinforcements in the shape of the F-16 on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Yeah I can't find any details or geolocation of the shootdowns, I'm just guessing it's well behind the Frontline and outside of a safe engagement for Ukrainian's Migs.

The US did commend the Ukrainian's on being able to setup a patriot system in half the time the US can do it. 45 down to 25 mins, so it's not like it's a full day's work.

The patriot radar is also about 150km, so it can be placed well behind the Frontline protecting Odessa and still detecting far in Kherson. Or just have a launcher close and use the mobile radar they got from Germany to detect the targets, send them to the patriot system to launch from the launcher closer to the front line etc.... that's the main benefit from the NATO systems, they can all be connected and work together.

I'm sure in time we'll learn how they pulled it off, just like the Bryansk triangle in May.

True, and that's not accounting for any information they might be getting from NATO assets airborne over the Black Sea or along the borders. The flow of information must be staggering at this point, I'd hazard to say that 95-99% of what's happening in that regard is going completely under the public radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement