Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm always amazed at how people are happier to be seen as ignorant, than 'woke'.

It genuinely amazes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is brilliant, did you think of it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Someone on radio mispronounced a name? huge if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Whatever about mispronounced names, she hasn't a clue. Brendan Dolan won his darts match today 3 frames to 2. And Rob Cross won yesterday 3 frames to nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

In all fairness darts is a pub past time and not a real sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Doesn't matter what it is, anybody should know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I can’t remember which presenter it was, it might have been Ger, but he talked about how he got up early, before his family on Christmas Day and ate a full large pyramid of ferrero rocher by himself. He said he was disgusted by his own behaviour for days after.

I have been on the ferrero rocher myself today and yesterday….difficult to stop eating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

To be fair, the lad reading the sports news on The Last Word used the word frames yesterday and he was a man.

I wonder was it just a generic report that both stations used?

Edit: Meant to quote the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Ya the person on the sports news us only reading what is in front of them they do not write it so a mistake in a name or say frames instead of legs (I am sure that is right) is down to that.

In fairness unless I had watched a darts game I would believe it was frames. Do people expect sports reader people to know all sports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I see they've launched a TV and online campaign to promote the subscription service. Throwing good money after bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭The Guru 123

Surely at this stage just cut your losses and focus on getting a decent sponsor and decent ad revenue from the free show/podcasts.

Genuine question, does anyone know anyone at all that’s paying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Anyone I know into sport won’t pay for it.and the number of subscribers on the morning show is less than 10 anytime I watch the morning show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Will there be job losses ,cut backs if the subscription take up remains poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

No , but surely the person who writes up the report for the newsreader to read should know their stuff and have the correct terminology for the scoring system for the sports they report on.It would take 30 seconds to check on the internet if they were unsure.Just smacks of un-professionalism from a national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

No. You didn't mention that whoever writes the report, or the editor, should proof read and make sure the terminology is correct

I think you should read the subject I was replying to someone said a sports reader was crap as they were getting stuff wrong. Another poster then said it is not there fault but the writer and I agreed with them

Your right I never mentioned that as it was not part of the subject we were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭johnnyk29

Not coming from a place of bitterness or misogyny in my opinion it's because women can't play men's sport and men can't play women's sport for a reason. I wouldn't question Hayes expertise on the women's game but I would on the mens game. I think the only sports with direct competition between opposite genders is Equestrian, Motorsport ,Tennis doubles and Snooker.

They are like two different games because in the difference physically between men and women. I enjoy watching women's football say compared to men's because of lack diving and technically it's usually very good etc...

That is why I wouldn't listen to say as you mentioned in your comment Joey Barton talking about women's soccer because he never or can't play it, it would be the same if it's Alex Scott or Karen Carney talking about mens soccer they never played it because they are rules from each FA that they can't.

2 quick questions

1. How does the physicality stop someone talk about tactics, how someone should lay off the ball, or x player should have done better there?

2. So are you saying unless you have played a sports you should not be a commentator, an analyst or a presenter asking questions (cause how would they know what to ask if never played)?

1. Physicality is one of the reasons probably the main reason men and women can't play together in football or rugby. But women can't play the sport legally so they would never have any experience even in secondary school or college of competing against men.

2. No it doesn't but I would give more credence to a ex female or male pro player playing the game on either sexes game.

• Advertisement

I am not sure what you were answering as number 1 but it sure a he'll was not my question. In soccer the rules are the same so why can't they talk about it.

They legally cannot play together that's the main reason and the physicality is too an important reason to overlook.

Soccer is the same rules but again men can't play against women so and vice versa so MY preference would be to listen to the person who are allowed to play that sport.

I am sorry that is one of most idiotic reason they can't because get can't play. So just because they don't have a set of male equipment they can't possible can analysis something even if they play the very same game with the same rules and tactics.

I mean do you actually know how moronic that sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 31,691 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Doesn't make any sense at all... that would imply that simply being a student of the game is not enough to be a good and insightful speaker on it, which is demonstrably untrue - plenty of the best speakers on football are people who never played it at any professional level at all, and indeed in most cases never played beyond (or even at) local park level. People like James Richardson, Sid Lowe, Barney Ronay, Jonathan Wilson, Tim Vickery, Marcela Mora Y Araujo etc etc.

The most important thing for any speaker on football to be good, irrespective of gender, is for them to be a passionate and intelligent observer of the game, with the diligence to do the work.

It's my preference to listen to someone of the same sex whether it be men or women pundits on the particular game I am watching. Less of the abusive language as well thanks

As I said before that's my preference. I would prefer to listen to someone who can play that game and at a high level. If you prefer to listen to those you mentioned that's fine.

Actually my preference is to someone who can analyse a game regardless of sex or playing level. A lot of those ex players or managers all they have is witty one liners or even agree with the presenters with no playing experience.

All you want is for men and women to be kept apart and your using playing experience as an excuse regardless of how good they may be.

You also want it as a close shop as you don't even want men who have never played a sport to be one either

Yes that is my preference but it never is like that usually there is someone as you mentioned on the panel also like a ex player from the male/female game or an journalist/student of the game there also. I listen to what they have to say too.

It's just my preference for me to listen to an ex player from either the women's or mens game. If they have someone from the opposite game or someone who hasn't played that fine, Its just my opinion that all. (You obviously don't agree, that's ok)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Seeing as none of us have played at professional level then maybe we should all shut up and keep our opinions to ourselves 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Advertisement