Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Doesn't seem to be working out great in Finland, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

Actually even if it were to be the EU law it's still madness to let that happen. EU is not some sort of super state that can dictate this, individual countries still have their sovereignty and they can refuse to take migrants even if there are consequences as fines or whatever. The EU laws and international treaties are not set in stone and they are not to be obeyed blindly by any means especially when the country's future is at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

What would you prefer? A tent city in the Phoenix Park perhaps? The govt. is just fulfilling it's obligations.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭MagicJohn

Spot on and I'd say people are much more angry this time.

I would describe the general mood as BETRAYAL and that feeling is very potent, ready to burst like a volcano at any moment.

My strategy; vote for independents, no votes for any of the bunch that are in there at the moment, this will hopefully stop the present shower getting in on the 13th count etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is anyone surprised considering the difference in respect for women in those countries.

I mean in their own countries they have women to actually partner with.

While here we throw them into villages with little chance of getting a partner.

Anyone with a wife or daughter should be very worried by looking at statistics like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

This stuff, what has happened in Sweden etc are the facts of continuing with this hair brained policy. But keep cheering it to show how virtuous you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Thanks....... the worry I feel is certainly on me, my kids getting on with their lives and don't think as deeply on the changing situation in Ireland as I do. I grew up in different times, people knew each other. Yes there were a spate of murders and disappearing girls in the 1990's and the consensus from the Gardai is that there was just 1 perpetrator, Larry Murphy.

To introduce thousands of men from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia into small rural towns overnight all of the same age is a huge long-term problem. This is an artificial change to the normal ratio and demographic of these towns. Where are these men going to find women of their own age? They arrive here single............we don't have lots of Syrian, Afghan, Pakistan, Somalian women here for them. Irish women are hardly going to swipe right on them on Tinder or hook up outside the local chipper . So what is the long term plan here for these males and how can that not pose a risk or at least a deterrent for Irish women going out and about? Aisling Murphy did everything right and expected to be safe, she wasn't.

My sister lives outside Letterkenny and she finds going into town to shop very intimidating, there are gangs of men literally hanging around street corners, begging outside shops, sitting in coffee shops. None of her female friends meet up for a coffee or a day out shopping in the town anymore. Its torn the heart out of the place. She goes in to Lidl about 9am , along with most of most of the locals, particularly older people, then leaves the town and goes home or meets for walks on beaches.

Killarney is at breaking point with 40% of our tourist accommodation given to migrants and growing. Cahirciveen where my daughter lives has huge numbers of Ukrainians yet no doctors, Portmagee, Waterville, Ballybunion, all bursting. Donegal is a close 2nd to us in Kerry, the poorest and least populated towns in the West seems to be getting a disproportionate number of migrants, the less indigenous Irish in a place, the less chance of a meaningful protest. Any town that has bravely taken a stand and protested is to be admired. These are ordinary people, like me, not Far Right. We need a voice.

There are no migrant centres in Malahide where Darragh O Brien lives, no IP or DP centres, yet it has amazing facilities like beaches, tennis, golf, cricket, Malahide castle and park, Avoca , trains, buses, airport, coffee shops, it would be the perfect place for newcomers. If they can be shoved into Killarney they can be shoved into Malahide surely! This is why people in rural areas are getting angry. There is a huge unfairness and imbalance in how this migrant issue is playing out and finally people are seeing this and getting a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Obligations that can be reduced, postponed or even stopped.

Our services in this country are at breaking point. What about the government Obligations to Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

One in four cases the offender is a stranger, which means that 75% of all assaults are committed by someone known to the victim. Dunno what you think you're proving

Clearly didn't read the link.

out international obligations are nothing to do with our EU membership.

• Advertisement

No one is surprised, a blind man could see it coming n our do gooder clowns in government have repeated exactly what Finland Sweden etc did a few years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mykrodot

this is exactly what I mean! As a parent in a rural area where I can see us being outnumbered so easily its really worrying. Where are these young males all going to find partners in the future (the near future)?

Not really, we've agreed to take in a certain number of Ukrainians (future EU citizens with a bit of luck). Other refugees coming here we have to look after and that's not going to stop. We sure as hell don't want to go down the Loony Right Wing Nutters route in the UK.

As I keep saying, the fact that our infrastructure is creaking has nothing to do with migrants and everything to do with govt. policy. The govt. needs to spend on stuff. Railways, schools, hospitals etc. There are parts of the country like Clare, where the infrastructure is crap. Again, it isn't the fault of the poor devil whose house has just been blown to bits.

This is some hysterical posting! I feel extremely sorry for your sister and get friends that they are so afraid of foreign men they cannot go about their normal life.

That is, of course, their problem.

And no, the gardai do not believe Larry Murphy was the perpetrator in all disappearances of women in the 90s.

perhaps you didn't read the link I sent you, about the almost 300 women murdered in this country over the last 40 years. You should, it might give you an insight into who is most dangerous towards women in this country.

still no wiser as to whether your objections are based on cost to the country, or that foreign men are dangerous, or that you just don't like to see foreigners who are not paying tourists in this country?

The truth hurts - you must have missed the bit where Afghanis n Iraqis are 40 times more likely to commit sex crimes than the locals. You missed that bit, didn't u?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes - tents would be fine. Meet immediate until claims processed. Temporary, adequate but not too comfortable. Widely used in countries with much harsher climates than us, to deal with similar issues. The army could set them up and manage the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It'll be interesting to see how our Gardai/justice system deals with the terror threats and other forms of diversity when we can't even manage to do anything about the scummy teenagers running amok doing what they want.

Rather than house people properly, you would ghettoise them? Frankly that's horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Obligations… and just like that we had obligations. International ones aswell. Anyone for another round of heal the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Citywest is by far the largest DP centre in Ireland by a distance. It's a processing centre. I am surprised there aren't more fights there. There will be more fights in Tullamore chippers this week.

Direct provision began 20 years ago as a temporary measure.

Fine Gael promised to end Direct Provision many times and made it part of the programme for government in 2020 with FF and Greens. Of course there was no plan or timeline. It was just talk as per usual.

I blame FFGG for every problem with the immigration system. No plan, no effective operations, no communications, no capacity. FF & FG both destroyed the housing market. There is nowhere for immigrants to rent or buy so they are stuck looking for accommodation

Direct Provision system to be ended within life of next government – The Irish Times

Email your TDs. Don't burn things.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Nope, unlike you I read the whole article, which is based on figures 20 years ago.

You don't understand how statistics work, obviously. They don't mean what you seem to think they do, or are trying your best to spin them to mean 🙄

It may be pathetic in your view but it's a very real and valid concern. Doesn't necessarily mean rape/ sexual assault - just leering and comments when women pass by.

Would you have an issue with your daughter marrying a foreign man?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Letterkenny as a town has become a horrible, intimidating pit.

In the last 3 years, the demographics of the place has utterly changed. It's utterly scandalous and contempt to the locals. Traitors, whoever allowed this to happen!

You're right about the gangs hanging about idle with nothing else to do. It is horrible and intimidating.

Then there is the way rent in the town has gone extortionate and house prices in any of the towns outside Letterkenny have gone bonkers.

I live in another town in Donegal and I will love to live closer to home via Letterkenny but this will not happen now with Letterkenny becoming such a pit. I wouldn't bring my children up anywhere near the town.

I simply cannot see how this benefits anyone- well maybe just the landlords and DP accommodation owners!

Also, I was reading that Letterkenny GH now is either the most or 2nd most overcrowded hospital in the country. Staff have been warned not to put patients on the floor. WTF!

Cultural enrichment, not!

Tents are a perfectly fine solution, that is accommodating people properly. There's no need for snobbery.

I by the way live in a house with adult children who are Irish and who can't house themselves adequately under their own steam. So if you think I have sympathy for this housing immigrants properly, you are sadly deluded.

Judging by your enthusiasm, do you have skin in the game yourself. Is this a cheap source of labour for you perhaps or are you making money off property lets to the state for this purposes? Or employed in a state funded body to support immigration.

Hilarious- maybe the Finnish police don't understand how statistics work either n the graph is all wrong eh?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think €€€ handouts of up to 400% more than other EU countries not to mention holidays back to the war zone is all ‘the help and support’ they need don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If you care to go back in the thread a bit you will see where this can be done. When you're full your full in my opinion.

I'm all for controlled migration but this totally free for all is a joke.

No country has an obligation to take every Tom dick and Harry from every country in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

“As I keep saying, the fact that our infrastructure is creaking has nothing to do with migrants and everything to do with govt. policy”

It’s hardly the Irish citizens fault that we have poor infrastructure so how is it logical to beckon countless migrants to inhabit this same poor infrastructure. Who wins in this scenario when neither the Irish citizen nor the migrant have any meaningful services to hand ?

You don’t control a fire by keep pouring more and more petrol on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement