Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allan Quartermain (film version) and other Indiana Jones ripoffs

• 28-12-2023 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

As with most Christmases I have watched Indiana Jones .... in fact all 5 this year ... and thoroughly enjoy them ... especially the first 2 of course ... Raiders of the Lost Ark is definitely in my top 10 films of all time and Temple of Doom would be too ... perhaps the only franchise where I have 2 from it in the top 10 ... and Harrison Ford is represented 4 times with Blade Runner and The Empire Strikes Back too ...

Indiana Jones has become more important at Christmas to me anyway than Santa ... and is the antidote much needed (Temple of Doom reference!) to Mrs Brown's poison ... Christmas just is not complete without Indy for me ....

This leads me onto the next question ... the Indy imitators ... I remember this Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold ... liked it years ago and then watched again and didn't ... made by dissident Russians' Golan Globus entity aka Cannon and it is surprising that they had Richard Chamberlain doing the Allan (Indy) character and not Chuck Norris !!! ... Would be interested in seeing it again ... Chamberlain is a good actor and more Harrison Ford than Chuck Norris ... but am aware these films are a poor man's Indy ...

I also recall Michael Douglas had a Jewel of the Nile thing going too ... it was again Indiana Jones in all but name .... I saw it on TV years ago but don't remember much about it ...

Am I just hankering for some more Indy or should I watch these again ?? ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

It is gas that you say Quartermain is an indy imitator when it is actually the other way around. 😋

Quartermaine character is much older than Indiana Jones

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jewel of the Nile was a sequel to Romancing the Stone, which is the superior film and an early Robert Zemeckis film, back when he still directed human beings.

Quatermain was obviously a rip off of Indiy, though the character itself is a public domain one who vastly predates Indy. Barely remember the film though, and can't imagine it holds up that well given Cannon were purveyors of pure trash.

As to others? The Lost City was a surprisingly fun modern Indy-a-like, insofar as it being an adventure for treasure in the jungle. While the Jumanji reboot was also a lot of fun, and way better than it had any right to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭tommythecat

National treasure with Nick Cage always worth a spin

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it predates but Doc Savage was a fun 70's movie, its cheesy probably not aged very well

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Uncharted is a new variation of it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Allan Quartermain was played by Sean Connery in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Lost City of Gold was a sequel to King Solomon's Mines.

Of course, there's also The Goonies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭jh79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,808 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This MacGyver Tv movie has him in Indiana Jones territory

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

That's why I said FILM VERSIONS .... I am well aware of the character's origins but I am also well aware the films were an attempt to copy Indy and exploit that marketplace ... and that the films owed little to the original books ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Librarian films with Noah Wyle. Definitely Indiana Jones adjacent:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sahara based on the Dirk Pitt book series by Clive Cussler was an attempt to get a new fanchise going with Matthew McConaughey about 20 years ago.

Relic Hunter the 90's series starring Tia Carrere if you could dig that up somewhere

Then of course the Tomb Raider movies or even better the go play the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

The Mummy (1999) is very Indiana Jones-ish and a decent flick

Yes remember Romancing the Stone too ... that was a good film ... must check these out again ... I will check out The Lost City and Jumanji as well ... they sound interesting ...

Quartermain the films were IIRC total ripoffs of Indy ... I saw them during the video shop rental era of the 1990s ... Anything Cannon aka Golan Globus did for the most part was pure trash ... only 2 films I enjoyed they ever did were Cobra and Cyborg ... but I prob saw a load of them in the late 1980s and early 1990s as they accounted for about a third of the action films in the local video rentals of the time ... Stuff like Missing in Action and The Delta Force are awful ... pure propaganda ... and that Chuck Norris guy is prob partly responsible for all that is wrong in America today ... too many of today's Republican politicians saw too much of his films ...

I do not think the Quartermain films were blatant political propaganda ... staying neutral like Cobra or Superman IV ... I think one can see both these films in entirety free on Youtube so may watch tomorrow and the weekend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Cannon also gave us Masters of the Universe, which I actually liked.

And if it wasn't for Cannon, how would we know that all sequels should be titled "Electric Boogaloo"?

I know it is a bit off topic but since it has been brought up ... I remember Masters of the Universe well ... He-Man was everywhere prior to that film ... toys ... cartoons ... books ... I found the film disappointing at the time but it is clearly one of the better of the Cannon films ... most of the He-Man mania of before died though with that film ... pity as MOTU was good ... I'd like to see what a better studio and a good director of Sci Fi could do with it though ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Tomb Raider (video game spawned film) heavily draws from the Indy films.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wytek

mustn't forget Dr Jones by Aqua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1jPUB7gRyg

• Advertisement

Patrick Swayse played Quarterman in a mini series as well.

It's not good from memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,283 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Patrick Swayze do a film of this?

I see the previous poster got there

I remember that too ... need to check out ... these type of things interest me ... meaning the connections of the ancient world ... I am unsure how much of this is true ... Solomon was a Middle Eastern king but had he reached Southern Africa? ... I am unsure how much of these films/series/books are true or not ... but wasn't Freddy/Freddie Mercury Iranian descent but from some African country?? ... so there must be some truth ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭AnRothar

That has Alison Doody who was in Indiana Jones and the last Crusade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,283 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If unfortunately IIRC, a large part of why he required so much surgery, which then caused his weight gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The Chamberlain films are Indy imitations. And the character is nothing like the Quatermain in the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

ROMANCING THE STONE is an INDIANA JONES type film but I wouldn’t think of it as rip off.

if you looking for more of that there is Tom Selleck’s HIGH ROAD TO CHINA which is great fun.

Two tv shows from the 80’s that jumped on the INDY bandwagon but were not imitators are TALES OF THE GOLDEN MONKEY and BRING ‘EM BACK ALIVE (based on a comic strip that was an influence on Lucas when creating INDIANA JONES - I think there was a couple of FRANK BUCK movies or movie serials too).

I would love to see those shows again. Don’t remember much except that I loved them.

100% ... Cannon tended to do that ... make their own franchises copied directly from some bigger budget much better franchise ... Indy and the book version of Quartermain are great unique characters ... Cannon's take on the latter was a paler character imv ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

An Indy type tv show which predated it was Sexton Blake And The Demon God, which I saw when very young in the late 70's. Sexton Blake was a character in a series of adventure novels going back to the 1920's. SBATDG has never gotten a home media or streaming release for some reason.

Advertisement