Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

The unions have been simply acting in the interest of the unions, the fact that they didn't bother discussing pay in the public pay talks indicates that they have been pushing for things that benefit them and not the members.

I'm contacting my rep in the new year and pulling my membership from forsa, it's a joke atleast in the private sector I can bargain my own rise instead of these useless clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

Agreeing with bren2001 as regards Union membership.Same as all 'insurances' you'd dearly love to have them when you run into trouble,and then as bren says they are very,very good.

Unfortunately the majority of posters on here look to 'money' as being the 'end all' of an agreement. We were told yesterday that numerous things were discussed but % increase and money was not one of them.I would be of an opinion that one ,the Unions,in this case,decided to put down a foundation from where they could start from.A good foundation of discussing how far behind we are in sorting out housing, etc for our young workers,who will end up being a 'lost generation' as far as children,housing,pension provision goes....is all needed to paint a realistic picture for those in Ivory Towers who do not realise the difficulties of those starting out. Why do we have such recruitment problems in the Gardaí,for example,why are more and more Gardaí leaving,or indeed going down the wrong side of the law!Why are teachers leaving in droves ( because they are getting full permanent jobs with accommodation and flights home a few times a year,........get rid of ETBs they are only ring fencing funds for their own cronies...they do not give a flying fc*k about the young teacher being interviewed in front of them.)

Nurses,some hospitals in Australia have wards full of irish trained nurses and medics,similar story in England.Its not all about money,its about the opportunities provided for them by employers that want to keep them......unfortunately the Irish system ,like the ETB,dont give a damn about long term provision of care.NOTE: who is going to pay for your pensions when all these young graduates are paying their taxes to different governments? Of course the Golden Circle sleeveenism that has survived in Ireland for so long know that they will be alright but they do not care for the ordinary decent worker.

A good grounding or foundation will deliver or at least make 'the other side 'aware of how far they need to come to meet 'us',remember the country never had as much money,why waste it? Start building schemes in all towns that will deliver to the people that are delivering the services needed,be they carers,SNAs,teachers,gardaí,nurses etc,etc. ( I will not hold my breath as housing schemes in the past by various governments only delivered to those that do NOTHING for society other than cause trouble and destroy communities) As Leo said the other year,we need to do more for the people that get up early in the morning.....over to you Taoiseach!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

inflation has been rampant the last 2-3 years with an election looming the unions need to focus on pay for the next agreement not solving the country's housing issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

Strikes are grand but think about it.......one day strikes don't hurt the government.......ministers will come out and give the usual spiel to the media but they don't care because the following day everyone is back to work.........but the people on strike lose a days wages....

An all out strike means that there is no money coming into a house hold so mortgages probably cant be paid.....bills will suffer........people will start to drift back in again after a few days...

Realistically, the only people with power for an all out strike are the nurses and the gardai....but they ain't going to go out on all all out strike

In my place, ETB, There are only a handful of union members left....rest have left ....management know this and any new people taken on are doing stuff way way above their pay grade.

The government know all this so they will just wait and wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Housing is important to workers, obviously we need a proper pay deal as well.

As a young CO (early 20s) that has to spend hours everyday on the bus all week I would take what I can get, because half of my friends are already leaving the country because there's nothing here for them, the only thing tying me down is that I like my job here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

The unions are meant to represent their members. Their members care about money. Sure wasn’t there a survey done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

What benefits can the Union get that doesn't benefit their members?

I am making an assumption here that they mainly talked about the unwinding of FEMPI which they stated was a requirement for a multi year deal. Sectoral bargaining would be a big win and enable teachers, nurses, IT grades etc. go an negotiate for new scales etc. That benefits the members (albeit, not me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This is just nonsense but it underlines the weakness of the unions in Ireland.

"I won't go on strike as I'll lose a day's pay" - FFS people went for months on strike in the past and the current generation of snowflakes cannot handle a day. Look at what happened in the UK with the rail companies who took on the nastiest of tory governments (arguably nastier than Thatcher's). They got a backdated pay rise of 5% and guarantees to protect their jobs with government climb downs.

What did we in the public sector get in 2023, a year of rampant inflation?

A 2% pay rise in March and 1.5% pay rise in October. This represents a 2.04% pay increase for the entirety of 2023. We all took massive real terms pay cuts, are getting much poorer, still doing austerity unpaid work hours and yet some still moan about striking.

Honestly if you whinge about striking then don't bother join a union.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

I'm far from over-enamored with the unions but in (slight) defense of their negotiation strategy:

By agreeing the easy wins first, you start to build a deal that becomes hard to walk away from. All the easy wins are tied to getting the more difficult parts over the line. Having these agreed early provides extra impetus to reach a final deal.

The pay increase is clearly the sticking point on this deal, so it was always likely to be addressed last.

What is frustrting is how long it took them to get to this stage and the apparent surprise at the distance between their positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭gifted

I am in a union but its crazy to compare going on a strike today as opposed to going on strike for months in the past.....different times, different cost of living, higher bills, higher food cost etc etc.....been militant is grand but it aint gonna pay the bills....

Our last pay rise was awful but yet the unions pushed for it......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

The bottom line is they didn't touch on the topic and decided to push gor sectoral bargaining. Which provide more power to them. In addition what else could they have talked about other than pay? 20 odd hours of nothing they should be pushing hard to hammer into pay and yes go in with a landed revolver as its the only weapon they actually have and the Gov know this.

The only weapon as a union member I have is the threat to pill membership and its no sweat off my back using it. They need to up the game if they want members.

It in everyone's interest that this deal is struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,255 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bear in mind that civil servants still don't have full access to the industrial relations procedures private sector and semi-state workers do. This was promised a couple of pay deals back.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

If I was thick enuf to have 11 meetings with my boss or hr before I asked about pay, then ya I could do that. I pay for a service, if the service is like the unions offer (total incompetence) then I won't pay for a service.

the unions would want to crack on and focus on serious anti-cost of living deal for members

there have been rampant changes to everyday prices e.g. price of basic food staples like milk - 1 litre has increased from 0.75 to 1.05 a 40% increase

workers are being savaged in the shops the last 2-3 years and wages have not kept up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

the Unions will get to those issues after the first 20 or 25 meetings I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...because I refuse to join any union after the union rep in my old department openly said to the entire group that our discipline was overpaid. HIS wasn't but OURS was. Couldn't get the votes to remove him from his position.

The unions exist to serve the unions, not to serve the workers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭bren2001

Your shop steward?

Who gives a flying f**k what they think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Unions are far from perfect, but would anyone really truly trust DPER and the government to give them anything an inch past the absolute bare minimum if we had no representation? If anyone really believes that they must've never held a job outside of the CS/PS or are POs and up that've forgotten the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

He was our union rep and the only one the union would actually talk to. Any grievances or problems or questions - they all had to go through him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Some of the union members in my place were talking strike action during the week based on no movement in the talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Can you expand on which procedures you're referring to please?

He didn't appoint himself to that position. People don't bother their hole going to AGMs and then whinge about the outcomes.

Scrap the cap!

I'm no expert on this but AFAIK the WRC is only available for equality cases.

Scrap the cap!

‘Our prices will have to go up’ – Supermac’s boss Pat McDonagh to charge more at restaurants following 12.8% minimum wage hike

The change will affect more than 118,000 workers. It is expected to have a ripple effect on higher-paid employees.

It’s the combination of everything that’s going to add 10pc to the costs overall.

“A lot are paying 20pc of their wages on accommodation. Our prices will have to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

A one day strike by primary teachers would cause more disruption than an alien invasion. They are the countries largest babysitting service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nope, they deal with loads of stuff but typically you have to have tried sorting sh1t out on your own or with the Unions help first. Not sure why people think the PS/CS can't use it as I have heard of several people using it for various things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This is no surprise, and Supermacs won't be the only ones increasing their prices.

Expect to see a lot more doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Gusser09

100%.

Shop steward lol. The 1980s were 40 year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"An inch past the absolute bare minimum" is all we ever get WITH unions. In fact we get worse, quite frankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

At the end of the day the deal will probably be between 5 and 7 % when it is eventually trashed out. No deal should be done while FEMPI still applies as we are literally being blatantly robbed of money by the government. Might be a good time for some serious industrial action if FEMPI is not removed.

Advertisement