Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Evening Elves lovely lazy day I even managed an afternoon nap we have some party food nibbly bits for dinner I might try get an early night I’ve two Christmassy books there to read I am sure will give me all the Christmas vibes

The shops are shocking removing all evidence of Christmas it really kills my mood

Our TV gave up on us this morning I thought we would struggle without it today especially with the weather but it went really well considering little one happily playing with all her toys, pulling crackers for the sake of it 😂 a few mini discos throughout the day

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Andrew93

Great to see I’ve plenty of pages to catch up on tomorrow. Hope everyone had a happy and safe Christmas!

Best wishes to everyone going into 2024!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Agree totally about years ago the shops having the decorations still up until Jan 6th. But now because it starts earlier they finish it earlier.

New year is always about fitness and health foods almost shaming you for enjoying Christmas.

Then it's onto valentine's day for Feb, onto Paddy's day, Easter is next then it's summer and holidays until we have Halloween and the circle is complete.

As soon as something is over they just move onto the next thing.

I remember last year someone on this board saying the twelve days of Christmas only start and they are removing all traces of it. Spot on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think that was me I rant about this annually and I’m very passionate about it. It’s one tradition I won’t let die in my household that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was listening to Christmas FM this evening before they signed off and they said the E17 - Stay Another Day and Mariah Carey = ALL I want for Christmas will turn 30 in 2024.

Currently watching The Santa Clause 2 which was released in 2002. When the big man was still calling to me. It's hard to believe it's 21 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Same here, there’s not a hope that we would consider taking down decorations before the 6th. I really miss the long week between Christmas and New Year that we used to have when I was a kid - long time ago 😂.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It's funny and sad in equal measures- all the TV ads in December are 'Indulge yourself; one more glass of Baileys? Another hot chocolate? Yes please. Mmm, cheeseboards and fine wine. Ooh, a bottle of prosecco and a box of truffles, don't mind if I do!'

And in January all the ads are 'Look what you've done to your body, I hope you're ashamed of yourself, you fat mess.'

A guy that I follow on instagram summed it up brilliantly when he said “you don’t get out of shape between Christmas and new year, you get out of shape between new year and Christmas”.

Nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence, the guilt police can feck right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Popping in to say merry Christmas everyone!

Have a full house with all the in laws, parents and two adult brothers, here for 10 days!

23rd played golf with FIL. Prepped veg and picked up turkey. then we all went for festive pints with the in laws and friends

24th up early, smoked the turkey on the bbq, ham in the oven, roasties etc. brother in law did the starters. Ate far too much. Then Santa had to put barbie dream house together.

25th up at 6am as the youngest is sleeping our room due to all the visitors. Pressies. Then off to a hotel at noon for brunch. Home at 5 for movies and music.

26th sambos and movies.

27th went to Abu Dhabi to play golf with the FIL and pals. Another full Christmas dinner but for breakfast. Pints.

it will take me a year to loose half the weight I’ve put on and the house is still full of goodies.

Hope everyone is doing well. I’m struggling with the house being so full, no chill alone (with direct family) time and people moving things in the house or commenting on things should be done one way or another but hey it’s Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Your house sounds like Christmas Vacation @Jude13 ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Went out for a long walk with the dog on Stephens morning then came back, stove and tv on and didn't move. Spent yesterday making jigsaws.

Today back to reality and am having tea at a clinic while elf2 has an ingrown toenail removed. Then elf1 needs a lift somewhere and to be collected after. Time to get moving again, but the lazy days were nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I feel your pain @Jude13 I have four extras with their dog staying with me and if feels like everything in my house has been rearranged. I just have to take a few extra deep breaths as I know I'll miss them all when they go back on Saturday.

Back to reality for me today though as I'm currently logged into work. I had most of the week before Christmas off, so it'll take me a while to get through all my e-mails before I can start doing any actual work. I'm going to the Panto in The Helix tonight though, so looking forward to that later.

First purchase of Christmas 2024 made. Was in Tesco and they were selling off the kids Christmas clothes stock so bought this a year up so it would fit the little elf next Christmas 😁

That’s really cute. I love the after Christmas bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good idea. Mrs H is heading to our local Tesco Extra shortly so I might get her to look out for some bargains in the clothes section.

I have to spend an afternoon working at some point between now and the 3rd to prepare a slide for a slide deck we're reviewing the first day I'm back. I feel soooooo demotivated. I'm considering adopting the ancient Persian method for the work I need to do. They used to make big decisions when they were drunk and then debate the same decision the next day. If the outcome was the same, they all agreed. So I'll do the slides in front of the TV with some wine/beer etc and look at it the next day. If I'm still happy then, it'll do 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Having lunch in a restaurant glad to hear Christmas songs still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ooosch.com Christmas draw is tonight

Resigned to the fact that I will win sweet **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Love picking up a Christmas bargain any Christmas items in a shop though I am like a magpie

I haven’t been to a shop since Christmas Eve, lazy day number 2 underway here made a cooked breakfast family dropped by for coffee just dropped some dinner to my mam and OH collecting an Indian for us

New TV up and running I left it all in the OH capable hands

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Enjoying reading all of your posts. Keeps the Christmas spirit alive for me as I'm back at work since yesterday. On the topic of the shops packing away the Christmas stuff - I went to Tesco last Friday night and thought their Christmas aisle was rather bare. Actually the first part of the aisle where the decorations were was all changed already and back to the way it looks all year with just the special offer stuff there. Was so disappointed. Right up into my 20s you used to hear Christmas music in January and everywhere still had the decorations up. Breaks my heart this thing of erasing all trace of it by the stroke of midnight on Christmas Day. I'll be keeping mine up. I drove around housing estates after work this evening looking at houses that were all lit up and getting ideas for when I have my own house ;-) I am hoping when I get to go out on Saturday that the shops still have Christmas stuff out!

Edit - and this is the first year I saw Easter eggs out two weeks before Christmas! Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Elf number 2 for me and the wife arrived safely this morning weighting a nice 8lbs 4oz another boy.

Believe it or not this wasn’t planned out this way but both elves were born in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh @Loughc massive congratulations to you all!! Such fantastic news! Welcome to the world little man 💙

My 2 are both August babies and it's actually very handy for remembering their dates of birth when asked 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Congrats @Loughc on the new arrival. Hope mammy and baby are both doing well.

Congratulations to you both and great to hear it all went well. What a wonderful thing to happen at this wonderful time of the year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Congratulations, Loughc! Great news. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

That's great news @Loughc

Congratulations to all of you 🎉🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Wonderful, brilliant news @Loughc , so happy for you!

Great that all are healthy and doing well, December was already a biggy for you, now it's huge. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Ah, huge congrats @Loughc :) that's great news and both born during your favourite time of year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Congrats Mr and Mrs @Loughc that's great news. And welcome to the world Elf 2. You're going to have a crazy busy December for ever more!

Advertisement