Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭randd1

If Trump did die from a cheese burger induced heart explosion, MAGA/QAnon is now so entrenched as the GOP philosophy and policy that it’s entirely possible they’d claim that the cheeseburger was cooked by Hillary under Obama’s orders and that Trump was assassinated by the Justice Department to protect Sleepy Joe, who also masterminded the whole thing to draw attention away from Hunter’s laptop.

And what’s more, most of them would genuinely believe it.

The benefits of living in an idiocracy is there’s no shortage of idiots, and MAGA is scooping them up and making more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think we have long moved past having a political outcome, that negatively affects Trump, being accepted by that wing. At some point, they have to be faced down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

If we've learned nothing from politics, it's that you can be as sh*tty as you want and still stand a chance after a few years have passed, because that's just how the pendulum works. In this country, Fianna Fail were back in government less than 10 years after being hounded out of it for causing the recession. David Cameron is back in a position of authority seven years after making Brexit happen.

Trump is an outlier in that he didn't go away when defeated at the ballot. Well, maybe he did by his own standards of attention seeking, but I don't really remember him being low-key apart from maybe a couple of months directly after leaving office, but I think that was due to a combination of being worried about being implicated in Jan 6th and wanting to scheme at Mar a Lago (as well as admire his large collection of classified documents). After that short period, he was back out to retain his grip on the Republican base, and he's been successful at this, which makes him the alternative to Biden, trial outcomes pending, and even then maybe still because apparently in America you can barely get a job at a supermarket if you have multiple criminal convictions, but you can still run for POTUS. And apparently, also, there's a case being made that the POTUS can't do anything illegal while acting in a presidential capacity, up to and including inciting an insurrection against the US government on a bogus claim. A loophole, you'll all agree is wide open to terrible abuse if ruled to be true.

Anyway, this is all getting off the point - the point is that the incumbent (Biden) always gets the brunt of the blame for anything that's wrong, and the alternative (Trump) gets to say they'll fix everything. And the news/social media cycle has ensured that people are dangerously numb to the insanity of Trump. It occurs to me that inciting something like Jan 6th would have put Nixon under the jail. Not so with Trump because it's wall to wall craziness. People are just used to it. It's been normalised, and that puts America in a very dangerous position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A dead Trump with a guy standing either side of him would be more dangerous than the live one. No chance of him alienating all those swing voters.

@briany And apparently, also, there's a case being made that the POTUS can't do anything illegal while acting in a presidential capacity, up to and including inciting an insurrection against the US government on a bogus claim. A loophole, you'll all agree is wide open to terrible abuse if ruled to be true.

If it was ruled to be such it would leave Biden free to order any action he felt justified in taking to keep Trump out of office would it not? Trump would have to already be voted in to prevent that, in which case he's in a position to pardon himself anyway, or do I have that arseways?

Not sure if this Twitter account account is legit or not (isn't X so much better than the old Twitter?).

Post edited by kowloon on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The TFG family Xmas photo from Mar-a-Lardo is notable because Melanoma's missing, as well as Eric (though the articles I've seen don't mention Eric missing.) Paparazzi are wondering where Melanoma is, I'd say she's sick of the circus. If, ghods help us, TFG wins an office again, she'll be back, nasty stare and blank responses and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The tell all from Melania alone, when it inevitably occurs, is gonna be a really explosive bit of Behind the Curtain drama. Can't imagine a marriage with more depressed antipathy for one's partner than the obvious contempt for Donald Melania possesses. Now, I feel no sympathy for her either, but would at least empathise for watching a previous golden ticket turn into a public political career.r

• Registered Users Posts: 39,856 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nikki haley has put in a late bid for the dumbest thing said by a GOP presidential candidate. She was asked about what caused the civil war, and she didn’t say slavery which is one of the main reasons. Anyway, today she tried to walk it back and the person who asked the very basic question was apparently a “democratic plant” and so that’s why she didn’t answer it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Depressingly neither "dumb" nor uncommon: the GOP have taken the deliberately tactical road of trying to muddy the waters of the Civil Wars racial origins - and the broad repugnancy of America's slavery past overall - through lies, obfuscation, rewriting history, reverse-racism and shít like the above; where they can't just admit the war was down to slavery. Look at their rabid attack of Critical Race Theory, their shooting down of reparations, screams about dismantling Confederate statues as white erasure, or just abysmal narratives like how Slaves were treated well actually (so what's the problem?), though couldn't pull out the link about that.

Haley's comments read entirely par for the course here. Clearly there's a belief that Southern Whites remain allergic to anything resembling self-interogation and until that happens we'll continue to see the party of Lincoln turning themselves into knots trying to avoid admitting to America's cruel and immoral origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Apparently that person had asked Haley a similar question when she was running for SC governor in 2010 and got the same non-answer.

She's auditioning for TFG's VP anyway. Be hilarious if she wins a primary or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭briany

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Whenever I want to read Trump's intentions,I look at what he tries to project onto others.

In the above case, once again, it's crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can see there being an NDA worth more than any possible book deal and she'll gladly take it and slip out of the limelight. She has played a stormer as the Stepford Wife and I can't see why she'd change that in the future.

There are.times when I wonder if Trump has dirt on his minions and that's how he reels them in. Who knows the stories about Giuliani or Lindsey Graham that Trump holds over them whenever he rolls them out. I can imagine he has a similar hold over Melania.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He probably does not need any actual hold over them, seeing his ability to steamroller the truth and persistently and blatently go on and on about anything he wishes, with (as yet) apparently no comeback, they would be aware that he could make something up and spread the dirt thickly and as far as possible any time he wanted to.

The running, unconfirmed urban rumour is that Lindsey Graham is way way in the closet; nothing has been confirmed and certainly Graham himself has said nothing to the subject - yet if there was any Kompromat, I doubt Trump would possess any. That would infer a degree of chicanery and strategy Trump clearly doesn't possess - I think it's as simple that Graham is a massive, craven sycophant who'd sell his own mother to be on the winning team.

Again, playing the "Both Sides" cards rings hollow when one guy stands squarely in the limelight, and speaks his intent clear and as loud as could be made. This delights Trump, 'cos it's precisely what he wants from his 2nd term. To take revenge on those who slighted him (everyone), and create some kind of functional dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That's why I loved the time PragerU - a right-wing YouTube channel - had the head of History at West Point on in a video to answer if the Civil War was about slavery and the answer was an absolute yes. American conservatives love PragerU so it's a hard one for them to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One wonders what convulution the SC will use to get out of this dilemna?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

See this is just more foot shooting by the Democrats who can't help themselves.

Instead of just fighting and winning the contest they are engaging in strange stunts like this.

The Secretary of State for Maine had an uncontrollable smile from one side of her face to the other as she did the rounds on tv last night and pretended it's not a politically motivated decision. Democrats do themselves no favours at the best of times.

Now some have declared themselves judge, jury and executioner.

This will only galvanise the Trump base.

It will also give Trump and his supporters a rare victory to celebrate when the SC throws it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Its the hanging chads all over again, the courts decide who's president

Presuming this SC will throw it out, just wondering how they abdicate their responsibility? In most countries, Trump at this point would have been found guilty of high treason.

They may find he hasn't been convicted, but the constitution doesn't say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Like the last time when they beat Trump at the ballot box?

But you are right. Law and the constitution should be ignored as otherwise Trump and his supporters will get upset.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,498 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Trumps base do not at all need to be "galvanised"

They are so far on the kool aid they will never turn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Appeasement didn't work a century ago and it's not going to work now. If Obama was a rapist who attempted a coup, he'd have been executed within a week.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I do wonder what this is about cos it can't just be as simple as "they be racists", but equally it's hard to afford too much sympathy for a demographic for whom their sense of victimhood sounds hollow against the cries of those who were actual victims.

Maybe it's just again that inability of "America" for self reflection or interrogation of their founding structures - especially given they can barely agree to modernise their constitution, let alone consider the fact 19th America was institutionally, foundationally a racist nation

Why should States legislate based on whether it galvanises or offends a cult like MAGA?

Ideologies are set at this stage: nothing is gonna make Trump supporters more fundamental or determined - so either laws are applied or they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If Biden runs Trump will win.

That's the real problem. That's the reason for the cynical stunts.

Biden is too frail. It's not ageism, it's just reality.

The Democrats are in trouble. They need a different candidate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shifting the goalposts now, I see.

You tried to shut down criticism of MAGA and Trump above and now you're pretending to be scared of a Trump win? The rapist is not getting in again. Polls almost a year away from the election aren't worth much.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Beyond Biden's popularity, there's no indication that Trumps messaging is resonating with voters - especially as his rhetoric has only become more dictatorial. And his physical or cognitive ability is no better. Biden's a shít candidate but when the rubber hits the road we'll see - the campaign isn't officially started.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement