Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

Given who Minister is, it's not that surprising. All she can do is react after the fact, she seems to have zero ability to be proactive in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Competence would be saying ‘here is what the government is going to do’ I would have thought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How do you know she hasn't already consulted the AG about it and needs further consultation? She would be mad to say publicly that she discussed an on going case with the AG for fear it creates circumstances that could favour the judge. You simply assume it is down to lack of competence and want an immediate reaction on the issue

I know because she said it.

Again, it seems to me somebody favouring zero tolerance would be very clear what a government and specifically her office would do should a judge be convicted of an offence.

If there is a menu of choices that would apply to all and not to a specific person. So there isn’t much room to be hiding behind ‘a specific case’ excuse.

I know because she said it.

Not according to the article that you linked to.

What she does say is that she and the government will consider their options (which suggests they have drawn up a list of options) and get advice from the AG on the next steps (which is the correct approach). You're making the leap to her not having discussed this with the AG in any manner at this point or that she will publicly discuss all conversations she has held regarding an on going case involving a judge. You can be quite sure that the DoJ have been discussing this case with the AG's office for some time given the potential for someone convicted by him to try and use it as an excuse for a mistrial/retrial.

• Advertisement

There should be (and there obviously isn't) a clearly defined path if a judge is convicted.

It is not case specific, a conviction is a conviction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Only after the fact. The official position has to wait for the conviction.

Have there been previous cases of a sitting judge being convicted of such an offence?

So you think they already have a fixed plan in place and shouldn't consult with the AG?

The offence is immaterial.

If convicted a Judge cannot hold office with any integrity.

Do you think a judge convicted of any offence in a court should continue to hold office?

• Advertisement

I do not but as it currently stands I don't want a politician acting on the matter unless they are following sound legal advice. Which is what I believe is being done despite your suggestions that the minister is dragging her feet, etc.

So if like me you don't think a convicted judge remaining in office is tenable then what advice is needed?

That there isn't already a clear path for the government to take is worrisome.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

I see Leo has been quoted as a believer in free speech but.......there has to be limits which I assume Helen and himself will decide how free our speech will be.

Sooner we get rid of these clowns the better GA can't come soon enough.

This country has really descended in the last 2 years.

It would be absolutely stupid of any minister to take action against a judge's position without legal advice. Would that be the SF approach or would they take advice?

As for no fixed procedure, I'm sure there are many potential scenarios without one but not being a legal expert, I'd rather that procedures were put in place for actual scenarios before potential scenarios.

Nobody said she should take action without legal advice.

What I said was she should know and have a pre-ordained legally sound path to follow already mapped out if a judge is convicted of any offence.

Emphatically state that there is no place in the judiciary for a convicted judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,442 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What a pathetic attempt to tie the wrong doing of a Judge to the Govn't. Try harder.

Or the government response to a judge being convicted. What he did has nothing to do with the government.

You have been trying to blame the minister for not making sudden decisions on what to do or that there is not a plan in place or whatever. Who gives a toss really as long as the action is legally sound?

Presumably a SF MoJ will document procedures for all potential scenarios if they ever take the reigns 🙄

Your SF obsession aside here, the government has had 100 years to make clear what should happen a convicted judge.

It should be automatic on conviction.

Is the AG going to give the Minister a menu of options?

That is untenable under any government, SF or otherwise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your post just confirmed two things: you have your own little hobby horse to beat and you lack experience of decision making in any senior management position. You have no idea what her intentions are nor who she has consulted, just the audacity to assume you know better.

And engaging someone with such a limited perspective in discussion is a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Augme

I wonder if letting the Judge continue in his job after his release is one of the options.

Well, it certainly seems there may be 'options'.

Appalling if there are, really.

Everyone needs a little lieutenant. There is the problem of the, separation of powers. Should it be a Court of Judges, in some form, decide on such issues? Is there a lacuna, where new legislation may be required to plug the gap? The US for example, has a problem at present in that it can't remove any errant Supreme Court Judge. Their is no mechanism in the law. Not sure about the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There are numerous, exceptionally good reasons that a judge should not be immediately or automatically removed by an MoJ on the back of "any" conviction. Not least being the risk of malicious prosecution being used to remove unfavourable judges.

There most likely is a process in place with a known outcome but the first step in the process is consulting the AG. Following a proper and lawful process even when you "know" the final outcome is rather important.

Are you saying she is consulting the AJ on the integrity of the court case that convicted him?

If you look you will see a clear path laid out in the constitution.

Article 35.4 of the Constitution of Ireland states:

A judge of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal or the High Court shall not be removed from office except for stated misbehaviour or incapacity and then only upon resolutions passed by Dáil Éireann and by Seanad Éireann calling for his removal.

The Taoiseach shall duly notify the President of any such resolutions passed by Dáil Éireann and by Seanad Éireann, and shall send him a copy of every such resolution certified by the Chairman of the House of the Oireachtas by which it shall have been passed.

Upon receipt of such notification and of copies of such resolutions, the President shall forthwith, by an order under his hand and Seal, remove from office the judge to whom they relate.

Although Article 35.4 refers specifically only to judges of the Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court, the same procedure would have to be followed in order to remove a judge of the Circuit Court or the District Court as these judges are declared to hold office by the same tenure as the judges of the Supreme Court and the High Court by, respectively, section 39 of the Courts of Justice Act 1924, and section 20 of the Courts of Justice (District Court) Act 1946.

To date no judge has ever been removed and the phrase in Article 35.4.1 referring to “stated misbehaviour or incapacity” has never had to be judicially interpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Just before Christmas, there was an article in The Anglo Celt about a discussion that Cavan county councillors had about the war in Gaza. Foreign policy is a matter for the Oireachtas. Why would a county council have a debate about a subject that is outside its remit?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Did you not know Cavan County Council is a hotbed of foreign policy expertise, Ireland's very own

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The reason for consultation is pretty clearly laid out in the last paragraph there, Francie.

You know I'm no fan of FF or FG, but I'd much rather our government followed due process than just rushed to a snap decision for the sake of newspaper headlines. It is pretty inevitable that the judge in question will be stepped down, if it takes an extra few days to ensure the correct process is followed, with proper legal consultation...I'm pretty fine with that.

No problem with her consulting whoever, but why not say the government would seek to sack this convicted judge by following the route laid out in the constitution? The government that wants a 'zero tolerance' environment.

Strange I thought.

• Advertisement

Wrong again, it's not the Govn't that removes a judge, it's the Dail and Seanad.

Advertisement