Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke taking Christmas parties and work colleagues

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Your own post is totally out of context in a thread about taking something that is illegal, namely cocaine. I am not bringing ethics into it as I don't have to do so. Ethics and legality are not the same. That's all I have to say on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Geruup hand ringing of murder on the streets and in public.

Drug users will do anything to alleviate themselves of responsibility. Classic coke head take though. Jesus awful boring clowns to listen to when they're on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

This thread is full to the gills with people lashing others out of it for taking coke because of the ethical implications. More than a quarter of the posts on page one mention it. You didn't bring ethics into it, nor did I. Others did, and I fully reserve my right to point out the hypocrisy surrounding this. That's not out of context, it's in direct reply to

Everyone is biased to some degree. Nobody gives a fcuk about the drugs industry fueling murders in West Dublin, not really, they're just pretending to because they dislike drugs or those that take drugs. They're hiding behind the ethics claims as a smokescreen for their own biases, their brains release a little endorphin rush as they metaphorically pat themselves on the back for being holier-than-thou on the internet. Meanwhile their brain is busy whitewashing over the fact that they themselves are sucking on the teats of the fast fashion industry like a gazelle at a watering hole.

I know ethics and legality aren't the same, I said so in my previous post. My entire post was about the ethics (and rank hypocrisy) of those posters and you came swanning in going "well it's illegal" as if that countered anything I said. Someone said the lad with the rolled up 50 up his nose is as guilty as the lad with the SMG in his hand in the restaurant, which is patently absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

If so many are regular users and I have no reason to doubt that that is the case, given the quantum of recent seizures where are the big road safety campaigns advising motorists of the dangers ? The Road Safety industry went all out to prevent people from driving after having a few pints to the extent of being at least partially responsible for many pubs closing down.

So where is the equivalent campaign on driving after snow ? Or have I missed it ?

• Advertisement

You realise that your entire argument can be turned around and applied right back at you, yes?

Holidaymakers will do anything to alleviate themselves of the responsibility of climate change

Sportsfans will do anything to alleviate themselves of the responsibility of Nike/Adidas ignoring workplace safety laws

Online Shoppers will do anything to alleviate themselves of the responsibility of supporting an apartheid-era emerald mine trust-fund baby turned Space-Karen.

Classic coke head take though.

Nice. Accuse the other side of being druggies in a feeble attempt to discredit them, thereby making your own points look more sensible. Classic Maude Flanders take. "Won't someone please think of the Children Westie Drug Dealers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You've missed it, cops have increased swabbing instead of breathalyser and are reaping the rewards

They're even catching people who smoked weed two days ago weird as it sounds

• Ffs, get a grip. A person biased against drugs in society = a fast fashion consumer? Can’t remember when I last bought an item of clothing. I wear things til they develop holes. But go ahead and pigeonhole everyone to your heart’s content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,063 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good night last night was it

Waheyy gwan the lads yup yup

Zzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Who is reaping the rewards ? Are the pubs and clubs that are facilitating its use being closed down ? Where are the Road Safety Authority campaigns about the dangers of drug driving ?

And what is the point of prosecuting someone two days after they had a smoke ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

When I say rewards I mean the cops stats have gone through roof

And no point whatsoever in prosecuting 2 days later but again the stats are up

Yeah, cos that's exactly what I meant.

When's the last time you used a mobile phone? Or flew on a plane? Or ate a kitkat? Guilt-free, was it?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• This far there’ve been a dearth of drugged driving campaigns because we don’t want to acknowledge it’s even happening. The official take on it seems to be that it’s a total outlier.

Way to prove my point.

You should probably give the sniff a go yourself, might liven you up a bit instead of repeating the same joke, again, even after it was pointed out how transparent it was. Helps if you have mates first, though, and I'd say you're negative craic.

• There is something in the Irish genetic makeup or/and society that drives us to living an alternate life experience. We seem to have poor innate coping mechanisms to deal with the trials & tribulations of life. We inflict a lot of misery onto ourselves in the process of the quick fix to escape reality. Hospital EDs filled with self-inflicted “unwellness” whilst people who had no hand act or part in their illness wait for hours on end in chairs. That makes me sorely angry, and I am biased because I have had serious illness inflicted by nature and I have to compete for attention with that cohort.

Yes I know it’s way more complicated than that and genetics plays a huge role in eg, alcoholism. But when I’m dreadfully sick and see these people competing for resources, prolonging my wait for a bed, my natural instinct is to feel very resentful at the time.

A lot of our tendency to addiction would be genetic. I heard a Breton (Celtic) tour guide say “we Breton people drink the same amount as the age real population of France but we do it all on the one night”. I’m a bit of a hypocrite, as I’ve been known to binge drink and long ago I’ve taken weed, and I was a heavy smoker.

I’ve never tried cocaine, to would likely wire me up even worse than I am and set my heart rhythm into a potentially lethal pattern and very possibly kill me. I don’t know if it would be a very nice experience, but I don’t intend trying it. Didn’t like weed much, made me paranoid, and continued use would likely cause me serious mental illness.

As well as genetics we have a very strong culture of drinking, and therefore Irish people tend to start their drinking career when young, whilst the brain is still developing and therefore leading to a higher likelihood of addiction.

I was talking to an Italian lady two days ago who told me about her visit to Ireland. She loved it, but was a bit perplexed at how the tour guide continually told jokes about drinking and getting drunk and she asked me if there is a big drinking culture in Ireland and why we find it so funny. I told there is indeed, and a higher frequency of addiction than most of Western European countries, and that the humour is an attempt to excuse ourselves for it and maintain our denial.

I think re cocaine use that the expected pace of life in the countries where its use is prevalent, including ourselves, drives some of this. Big company employees expect a lot of be accomplished in a short space of time, there’s so much to keep up with our increased standard of living, we seem to need a bit of assistance to power our engines, and that is provided by cocaine.

• I don’t buy much in clothes but I do consume in other ways. I’m not powering my life with dangerous illegal drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m always impressed how you manage to shoehorn your illness into every thread, getting it in there on a thread about coke use in a work outing, is some of your finest work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭jackboy

With regard to work hard play hard corporate culture, cocaine is far more conducive to that than alcohol.

Also, it has been a revelation in GAA circles where going on the piss on a regular basis is just not manageable anymore with the training and fitness levels required. Cocaine now and again has been proven to be manageable for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

no one was doing coke in any obvious way at my xmass party and as it was a mixed event, multiple companies, no one was obviously doing coke in the other companies either

300 plus people there, mix of ages

Your refusal to answer the questions speaks volumes. The fact that you zeroed in one small element of what was said previously while ignoring the other uncomfortable truths (in a thread about people ignoring all the uncomfortable truths), likewise.

There are 40,000+ child labourers working in mines extracting cobalt. Using a mobile phone makes you complicit in their plight, or as complicit as McGregor is in the plight of the scumbags in Blanch the other night. This is using your own logic, remember? If drug users are at fault for the drug misery then the phone users are at fault for the child-labour misery. You might think not, but that's where the hypocrisy lies.

I’m not powering my life with dangerous illegal drugs.

LOL.......is that you pigeonholing people after giving out yards about others pigeonholing you?.........disappointing, though unsurprising, coming from a hypocrite such as yourself.

And, no, you're not doing it with powerful illegal drugs. You're powering your life with dangerous, legal drugs, like alcohol, caffeine, codeine, sugar and nicotine*. You're oblivious to the harm caused to you, to others, to society and indeed to the planet by these mega-corporations who rule the fcuking world. Alcohol is considered more dangerous than fantanyl by those in the know. If coke was made legal tomorrow, would you immediately drop any issues you have with people taking it? Spolier alert: Would you fcuk.

People don't care about the gangs and drug violence, not really. Not until it lands on their doorstep. They see drug users as weak, a weakness they don't possess themselves........."yeah, tried it once, wasn't for me.....had no real effects.......all coke heads are insufferable arseholes etc". All this 'looking down on' others is exactly that, a superiority complex wrapped in hypocrisy masquerading as altruism. They don't give a **** about your man getting a smack of a metal pole for messing with the wrong people, they do give a **** about all the sympathetic nods they get when telling others how disgraceful it is and how the all the sniffheads are responsible for x, y and z.

Spare me. The only thing worse than getting stuck with a rambling incoherent drug user is getting stuck with a rambling, coherent, "I don't need drugs to get high, I'm out of me snackbox on my own smug sense of self-satisfaction" walking contradiction.

*I suspect that you're gonna read this and jump up and say "HAHA!!!! But I DON'T smoke". This is for illustrative purposes only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:

The topic of drugs and Christmas parties is not suitable for this forum; if you wish to discuss drugs and drug taking in general I'd recommend one of the social related forums instead. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement