Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

I’d say just a tactic to get the cap increased as soon as possible. I think they are only doing average at Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Manchester made a small profit in its first full year. While loads have lagged behind the network average, they’ve been relatively consistent and quite respectable.

As an example, in October it had a 66% load factor, this is in line with the same month last year (67%) despite the fact last year included the BHD-LHR route and they were using the A321LR on MAN-JFK so they’ve managed to maintain load factors even with a large increase in capacity (A333 vs A321) and the removal of BHD-LHR which was included in the CAA numbers for 2022.

BGI continues for a longer season next summer, into May rather than late April, and MCO goes daily little later than previously. JFK remains unchanged, as does the overall network and capacity versus this summer. The big test will be in 2025, if Aer Lingus is serious about the base growing, that will be the year to prove it. Chicago continues to be rumoured and there’s always the possibility BOS gets finally gets launched as originally intended but both would require additional aircraft to be based and that’s a big commitment to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

EI is expecting 6 XLRs over all but with 14 options between IB and themselves. So what can we expect down the line with 14 TATL capable A321s with the EI fleet ?

Is it likely that EI will convert some of the LRs back to standard config for the likes of AGP, FAO, ACE and so on or maybe even leave them as they are and fly them around Europe more frequently with a proper business class offering.

Is it fair to say that EI already have pretty much most of the US east coast/mid west covered for where people are likely to fly to from Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Buffalo, Montreal, Quebec....plenty more North American routes to be had within Neo range if the incentives are there. I recall hearing Kansas City were pushing hard with EI pre-COVID, at 3,600 ish NM it might be doable on the XLR, in summer at least. Airbus publish the range for the XLR as 4,700nm but in reality I believe it is expected to be somewhere just shy of 4,000nm Westbound on the NAT depending on configuration.

Pittsburg, Buffalo, Nashville, Montreal etc. are all still potential interests for Aer Lingus.

Serving cities that have a natural market from Ireland makes sense but it’s not the make or break for a route it once was, continuing to manage feed from major UK and European cities will be an important factor in sustaining expansion.

How much more they can do with the ever increasing congestion at Dublin is another question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

There is easily a dozen or so destinations that have potential.

i could see YYZ switching to X2 daily on A321NEO, JFK and BOS getting an extra service on A321NEO, MSP will switch to XLR.

That’s 5 frames covered already and then plenty of potential for the likes of PIT, YUL, BNA, DTW, BUF

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jwm121

Will the XLRs free up A330s for new routes out of XLR range? Or will they just mean A330 retirement? The likes of Vegas, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, Houston, San Diego I would think are possible. Maybe not until new widebodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

SFO could justify double daily at some times of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The demand to those cities would be very low. Dublin to Denver in 2019 had approximately 36,000 roundtrip point-to-point passengers... Will be interesting to see the figures when it goes direct and with connecting passengers...

Some of those cities would also be very willing to hand over a number of incentives to Aer Lingus, further sweetening the appeal.

I’m sure most people thought Hartford would have relatively low demand but it’s worked. If Aer Lingus is to expand, the cities mentioned are guaranteed to be of interest.

• Advertisement

That's what I was wondering tbh. We are talking about Dublin and Shannon here not London or Frankfurt. But if EI short haul was successfully able to feed traffic consistently and for the right price I'd like to think those routes have potential.

I know Pittsburgh had been pulling at EI's arm with incentives to start up a route but that's still ongoing.

Here's a map of the XLRs expected range from Dublin.

Regarding replacing some A330 routes with the LR and XLR that may only work to a small extent or double daily those routes for the likes of YYZ (as mentioned ) or replace the second ORD with two XLRs if the demand was there.

Either way it will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next couple of years.

EI would be mad to give up their wide-bodies for slot purposes alone. If anything they could probably do with a few more and not just for beyond the US Mid West but for outside of it as well. As much as it goes against EI's conservative ways Mexico, Brazil and India are places I can think of that could be successful with a route from Dublin but for that to work they'd need more range capable frames.

Wasn't there a decline in numbers for SFO a short while back ? Something about the tech industry had dried up a bit or something along those lines ?

I also think off the top of my head that EI might need another A330 for that to be possible for the summer time. There's only 6 A330s capable of west coast runs at the moment. Four of the newest -300s and two of the -200s DUO and DAA. None of the others have crew rest and with EIs config would be weight restricted. *Open to correction here*

that xlr range is very interesting, I wonder is it before or after the taking into account, the extra weight now needed to protect one of the fuel tanks, that is knocking off a few hundred km of range allegedly...

sorry to give more context, Denver was the second largest unserved route from Dublin. Would be interesting to get the top 10 figures... But if number 2 was only 36,000 the numbers for third place cant be substantial, purely on a volume only basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

"I've looked into DUB-LAS. The most recent useful data is from 2019. That year, the market had approximately 73,000 roundtrip point-to-point passengers, making it DUB's largest unserved US market - not bad! It was twice the size of #2, DEN.

And DUB was LAS's largest unserved market in Europe.

I haven't looked at fares though - only traffic. On that basis, it's quite exciting.

Hope it helps,

James."

We're not allowed talk about #1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Not sure how many more flights the infrastructure in T2 will support.

CBP is a cluster for the morning bank.

rule number one of fight club... sorry I mean the aer lingus thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It is. And the powers that be declined planning permission required to make it better because of problems with the road layout.

Welcome to Ireland.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

T2 is basically empty after the morning and afternoon rush.

The JetBlue CEO has said recently the weight increase “…will not be material” but will make them look at weight savings within the cabin.

If Aer Lingus is really going down to a 170 seat count on the XLR (as indicated by the IAG presentation) that’ll be a hefty weight saving already.

Worth noting JetBlue has a more lavish cabin than Aer Lingus in terms of additional fixtures such as their ‘pantry’ cupboard/fridges with snacks and drinks available and a heavy business class seat. As their CEO says, they could do with a diet.

why are there decisions made, that lead to a poor user experience? seriously, who made that decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

More lavish pantry it is basically a shelf that has bottles of water and crisps on it. Well at least that's what was on it when I flew with them to LHR.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Simple flying is bascially shite. Handy for info, but they make very simple mistakes.

Their recent article on the XLR didnt realise that the B757s were a franchise/hire-in operation. Or that EI had specifically created that situation to bridge the gap until the LR/XLR were delivered.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MOD POST

That reason was put in place for a specific time. It was to prevent thread derailment.

Lets focus on current and potential routes rather than aspirational ones.

Aer Lingus aim to have daily service or at least 4/weekly. Certain routes will not sustain that.

MOD POST

Basically is a glorified shelf (with a fridge) and storage but either way, that’s a lot of additional weight when by comparison, Aer Lingus has a lightweight wall partition in the same space.

if denver does, a route with double that demand in 2019 and one which would get a lot of feeder traffic, given the handful of airports that fly to it from europe, it could have triple the traffic that Denver gets from Dublin...

Virgin are sending an a350 there from manchester in June, three times a week. and manchester is no european hub to the states....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Your entire M.O for ever posting in this thread always goes back to one subject. It's utterly bizarre.

• Advertisement

Agreed, the largest unserved route from north America to Europe and vice verca, is bizarre ... allegedly from a North America hub too non the less. Any way, ill refrain from posting about this again, until we hear an announcement, if ever... but aer lingus talk about North America expansion, what are they taking about, ignoring a 100,000 a year route and focusing on the 15k a year route... it does seem that way...

Advertisement