Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I suppose it's a case of what happens there may happen here. To be honest, I think it's just a form of wishful thinking. There are people up and down this country who are praying for a crash in property prices.

Post edited by RichardAnd on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And public transport is grand if that is an option. I live ten+ miles from Limerick city. Yes the bus service has improved and might work for you if you were working straight days but if you are on shift it would not. But you would have to be working within a half Mike of tge bus route. If you worked the other side if Limerick city it would not be viable.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

interesting article comparing dublin property with very similar cities such as bejing, london, berlin

A snapshot of house prices in five cities around the world and how they compare to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Duplicate

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Most people live/work and study in the Raheen Castletroy areas.

The bus commuting time is well over an hour in rush hour. There is no direct route between the 2 areas, all services go via the city.

Many of the companies have changed there shifts to accommodate car commuters with children in school, to synchronise work and school finish time so many start at 7am or before. Public transport is useless for getting to these workplaces. Get a scooter or a bicycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Apart from link dumping a subscriber only article without context, perhaps you would enlighten us with what it is that you find interesting.

For those who want to read it without the paywall, here it is.

https://archive.ph/nFlWO

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fartooreasonable

If wishing for a crash is wishful thinking and there's no realistic hope for people to own given the current system then the only real alternative is what has been seen in other countries, moving abroad or growth in polarisation in political opinions of young people. Ultimately neither option is sustainable or desirable to some sort of urgent action needs to be taken.

It's wishful thinking in the same way that I wish to win the lottery, although I think that that's more likely than a property crash in Ireland.

The problem is we heard that before in the early 2000s, both the words and the confidence in it's delivery.

A property crash would solve very little as builders would reduce output if it became uneconomic to build. At present there is a bit of a standoff. Banks are limiting lending multiples which is limiting the explosion in labour costs. Builders are refusing to increase subcontracting rates and are slowing projects down

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

If a property crash were to happen, it would be downstream from something else. For the prices to crash, there would need to be some sort of event that would quickly reduce demand. There are a few circumstances that could bring that about, but none of them are too likely at this point.

I'm not one to wish for a crash, but I will say that I were working my backside off to pay rent with no hope of buying, I'd be more than happen to take my chances in another 2008 scenario...

The unemployment rate went from 4.6 in Q2 2007 to 14.3 in Q2 2011, why would you be confident your employment/wage/ability to access credit would not be affected if a similar crash occurred?

This seems to be a recurring theme, the crash will affect everyone except me, so I’ll be able to buy a house.

I remember it well. I started my career in 2010, and it was hard. Would I be lucky enough to keep my job? I don't know. However, I would take my chances of an uncertain future if I felt that there was no future here.

Again, I own a home so I'm just talking hypothetically

If your choices are the status quo where you can't buy a house and a economic crash and not being able to afford a house then the choice is irrelevant. It's no suprise the polarisation we are starting to see now in society and it's going to get worse given the demographics of those affected.

So far it's those in their 20s and 30s affected who largely don't vote. Given another 10 years the effect on those in power could be huge. So the choice is not as binary as crash or no crash, the other option is build fast, pay over the odds with the state picking up the tab and accept that this is the consequence of poor financial management and planning since 2007.

What makes you think an economic crash wouldn’t make matters even worse, it’s hard to buy a home with no job/lower wages/no access to credit. Was everyone able to buy a house 2008 - 12 when rents and house prices tanked? Do you think developers will build during a recession, or that the Government will suddenly kick into overdrive at a time when there is a sharpe decline in tax receipts which would accompany an economic crash? Polarisation would become more pronounced between the have and have nots during a recession, in all probability interest rates would drop making life easier for home owners who keep their jobs, and more difficult for anyone who doesn’t own their home and is unemployed. Are you comfortable with life getting a lot worse for many of your fellow young home buyers, if it benefits you? Seems machiavellian, but you will at least have crossed your polar divide.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Ultimately I think it is a desire just to see the current system burned to the ground. A common thing when people have lost all faith in status-quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The last crash was a big part of the reason why so much housing stock around the world is now held by institutional investors. They had the capital to take advantage of fire sale prices in the aftermath and could borrow huge additional sums for basically nothing.

I’m not seeing how another crash like that will help anyone to own their own home. If you’re hoping for another one, it probably means you were still in school for the last one.

I don't recall stating that it wouldn't in my post could you point out where you think i did?

To get back to my point when your options are between not owning a house and not owning a house it removes 2 of Maslow's hierarchy of needs both the ability to change your environment and the ability to provide for your own security. The idea that people will act rationally at that point is beyond belief.

You can try to divert down the lines of what you would like me to mean as much as you like but it's still a major issue, the status quo does not appear sustainable and demographically we are at the start of this crisis. It will affect us all and not just those who do not own houses so owning one does not make you immune.

You appear to be discounting the fact that an economic crash may make the situation even worse. This isn’t a choice between two options, status quo and improving your lot, for some reason you don’t want to consider the third possibility.

That is naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

The last banking housing crash lead to fall in house prices as there was massive oversupply due to 60-90K completions per year.

I one was to happen again, there is no oversupply but chronic unsupply especially in urban & high employment areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I think you’re following a common misconception that no young people can buy homes anymore and everyone is despairing.

2023 will set the new record for number of FTBers securing a home since records have been kept. By a country mile. Almost every single month this year broke that month’s record for most FTBers securing a home. The second best year ever recorded was 2022.

Theres a big backlog due to the lack of housing built in the downturn and we do need to ramp building up more. But by every metric, things are going in the right direction. We even have wages going up faster than house prices for the first time in forever.

Why would anyone want to go back to 2012 where far far far fewer people were able to buy homes, and far fewer homes were built creating much of the issues we now need to work through today.

Don’t fall into the fatalist trap that things are hopeless. More people than ever are getting on with it and buying their first home.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

During the last crash almost whole generation of young people had to leave due to lack of jobs

those “hoping for a crash” could learn a bit from our miserable history

I asked the last time where in my post you think I am advocating for a economic crash because on review I do not see it. I am nearly stating that given non homeownership and non homeownership worsening is irrelevant for those affected.

To me it seems you are twisting my words to (I assume) avoid a difficult conversation. I wish you the best of luck.

Indeed. The supply side is sewn up. Thus, the only way a crash would happen is demand fell, which it would due to emigration, job losses and the general lack of credit.

This is true. However, as has been said above, a lot of young people are already facing rather dismal futures. In Dublin, it's possible to be forced to shared a room with 3 other people and pay 500 euro a month for the privilege, if you can even get a place. This is continuously getting worse, and I'm not credulous enough to simply say "build more" as a hope that it will change. There's more to it than that.

For a young man with nothing to lose, a change is a tempting thing to wish for. The 2008 crash was bad, but it also presented opportunities that were not taken. We could have reformed welfare, cleared out the civil service, tightened up spending in general and invested all those billions squandered on banks on things like power generation. This however, would require a mature population led by a ruling class that is not replete with self-interested compradores (my new favourite word). Instead, we decided to chase in infinite GDP genie, and here we are 16 years later awash with funny money and rainbow flags.

Rant over.

Your rant misses the point that this person has a job

unemployment is exponentially worse social issue than not owning a home and gaasp shock horror renting in your 20s

be careful what you wish for, the last crash has wiped out precisely the person you described

What I do not get is where people think an oversupply will come from. From about 2006 on banks wete lending builders/developers 100% finance if they had a development site. As house prices were rising exponentially it seemed a sure thing to build all the house together and sell them after building to maximise profit.

When the crash happened there was about 70-100k houses in oversupply as well as sites half developed. Add to that there was a substantial amount of houses build that investors had bought on 100% mortgages with a rental return of 2% or less.

There is nothing similar happening now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Anyone questioning the margins in building houses needs to look only at the prices paid by developers for land, either with zoning or with potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You don't know any individual's circumstances and it would be a bit silly to think that people make personal decision, or design their preferences, based off the macroeconomic good of society as a whole.

If a crash would affect me a lot less than the population as a whole, I might welcome it.

As opposed to now where a whole generation of young people have to move because they cannot afford to rent or even buy a house.

Once again if the options are between no house and no house isnt a choice so it's understandable where the logic comes from.

• Advertisement

CSO migration statistics don’t back your claim tho

Advertisement