Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bloody bullsh*t. Leisnter AGAIN getting their head coach's teammate to ref an important interpro. URC need to cut this out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

there were a few times were i thought both of the munster 8s werent controlling the ball at the base at all, even allowing for a retreating scrum. JOD had a bizarre brain fart with trying to slap the ball back in at one stage as well despite it being a munster lineout

Post edited by sprucemoose on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The conditions kept Munster in the game IMO

Couldn't disagree more with this tbh. It was way more that the conditions prevented Munster from playing their game.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I think Leinster’s defensive line speed was the primary factor in stopping Munster from playing.

The conditions made Leinster’s already disjointed attack this season a little more skittish, and led to sloppy, wasteful play in try scoring situations.

Had Leinster broken through for the try when Zebo made the great tackle on McGrath or when Munster pulled down the maul on 45 mins then Leinster would have pulled away fairly comfortably I think. It never felt like a game we were in danger of losing.

I think Leinster’s defensive line speed was the primary factor in stopping Munster from playing.

Given how Munster have been playing for the last 12 months, imo it's pretty clear the conditions were the bigger factor. I don't even think it's all that close tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Munster have shown that they can beat line speed defence, by getting the ball wide quick. Conditions and a creaky scrum didn't allow that.

Munster don’t play teams or defences as good as Leinster all that often, so what they show in those games isn’t that instructive, in the context of this game.

Leinster utterly shut down La Rochelle a fortnight ago, and they’re quite a bit better than Munster.

Conditions were absolutely fine in the Aviva, and aside from one early bad read by Leinster’s defence which led to Casey’s try, Munster didn’t cause too many problems that night either.

It was notable how when Munster got near the Leinster 22 Leinster just turned up the intensity and shut them down.

Munster’s attack has unquestionably looked quite a bit better this season, but Leinster had them marching backwards multiple times on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mun1

Rassieball doesn’t look quite as good in the blue of leinster. Snyman and a few more saffers up front will bring leinster to the required level. Think saracens in their pomp, with similar levels of charm.

conditions didn’t suit Munsters gameplan and with injuries, (Scannell, Snyman, Kline, POM for example)they dont have the cattle at the moment to implement a plan B.

Also, seen as you mention La Rochelle, they are awful at the moment, losing 6/10 games in T14, and losing to stormers in SA , so not the best barometer of success, but hey, no trophies awarded yet .

Anyone know if any of the short-term/long term injuries are back for this weekend ?

assuming Edogbo, Snyman are out for a while and Beirne and Murray are back in the squad

any one/two/three of POM, Klyne, F. Wycherly, Carberry, Campbell, Salanoa, Scannell, Haley, would be handy to have.

any updates on Kilcoyne and Barron injuries ?

cant keep flogging the same horses so maybe a team like this for Connacht

1. Loughman
    2. Clarke
    3. Jager
    4. Coombes
    5. O’Connell
    6. ?
    7. Kendellan
    8. JOD
    9. Patterson
    10. Butler
    11. Daly
    12. Scannell
    13. Frisch
    14. Nash
    15. Zebo.

• Advertisement

And conditions were sh*te in that game as well.

Calling Leinster “Rassieball” now to deflect from your own problems.

Leinster’s attack is definitely off, but it’s still one of the very best in the league this year (and better than Munster’s) by the only barometer that matters.

And so what? That should have suited the bigger, heavier La Rochelle team. It’s not like they play a particularly expansive gameplan at the best of times.

Don’t worry, you will learn to love Rassieball, as its ultimately successful (once you have the right players, hence, expect more big cattle to arrive to leinster next season)

Now, can we get back to taking about Munster on the Munster thread.

Strange game the other night, at one stage it looked like Leinster were going to Pummell Munster and run up a score, and then Leinster seemed to run out of ideas, and Munster battled back after the initial 3 injuries to an already disrupted team.

Fair dues to the squad for sticking with it. Being able to bring on Sheehan and Baird made the difference and Leinster held on for the win. Hopefully we have a squad to go play Connacht as we are having to flog the same player each week without a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The weather absolutely helped Leinster. When it's hard to move the ball, a rush defence will always lead to significant pressure and a team struggling to move the ball. Sale had plenty of success with a dry ball and I'd expect Ulster to have a few moments of joy too.

I was surprised that Munster didn't adjust though a bit more. Drill the ball into the corners, using the conditions. They kicked a bit but it was largely hoisted kicks that had no pressure on the receiver and caught easily enough.

The territory statistics told a lot at the end. Similar to the Exeter game, it was screaming for the ball to be stuck down the other end of the field to provide some relief. In a one kick game in **** conditions, priority number one is play the game in the opposition's half.

I was surprised that Munster didn't adjust though a bit more. Drill the ball into the corners, using the conditions. They kicked a bit but it was largely hoisted kicks that had no pressure on the receiver and caught easily enough.

Strangely, they did this in one of the very first attacking drives (which would have been against the wind), and the leftward hop of a ball turned a 50-22 into a Leinster scrum at halfway. Never seemed to go back to it. Perhaps Leinster made an adjustment themselves when they saw how much space they had left.

Precisely. Whereas Munster do. So comparing those games isn't especially instructive.

That's not true tho. Off the top of my head I can think of the try, Nash's entry into the 22 and the Conor Murray break, which came from a lovely bit of play to get beyond the edge of the rush.

But the bigger issue that day was scoring from the 22. We had 189 passes which is much more typical of Munster under Prendergast.

This time we had 77 passes. In large part because of the conditions. We couldn't even get into the 22.

I think Casey had one of his poorer games off the boot alright (an area I think he's improved on immensely in the last 12-18 months).

Crowley seemed to be trying to keep a lower trajectory than he otherwise would. He was very unlucky with at least one, that looked initially look a super 50:22, but got bad bounce and ended up over the dead ball line.

EDIT: what Neil said, RE: the 50:22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

With injures in Munster’s second row, who might they look at bringing in as a medical joker? DOC was singing Jack Dunne’s praises pre game on Tuesday, might not be a bad option? Hasn’t been getting huge game time for Exeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Squad update

On the injury font following the Leinster match, Academy lock Edwin Edogbo was removed with an achilles tendon injury and will go for surgical review next week.

Dave Kilcoyne suffered a shoulder injury and will go for a scan and surgical opinion today.

Diarmuid Barron will go for a scan on his foot injury and have surgical opinion next week.

Alex Nankivell will go for a scan on an ankle injury sustained during the match.

Fineen Wycherley (shoulder) will increase his training exposure this week and his availability will be determined ahead of the game.

In player news, Tadhg Beirne and Conor Murray both return to training this week and are available for selection.

About the only good news here is that Murray & Beirne are back for the Connacht game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

How much rugby do you think DOC has seen Jack Dunne played recently. My guess is very little, not least given he can't get near the 23 when they're near full strength. I would generally advise against looking to DOC for anything beyond light hearted banter.

Dunne is cup tied, if we're looky for a medical joker then we need him for the Champions cup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Form lock of all time (according to DOC) Jack Dunne has made one appearance for Exeter this season, against Munster. He was straight back out of the 23 again the following weekend.

Yeah that rant about Snyman really didn't read the room.

I wouldn't mind bringing McDonald back, but I see he benched at the weekend for Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not getting minutes at Exeter is probably a good reason not to bring Dunne to Munster. He's rarely showed very much in terms of being a good 2nd row. It's telling that 2 Welsh locks who are younger are eating up the minutes. For me, Dunne has been a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I thought Jager looks the business. He is a lot bigger than i thought he would be.

Thought Eoghan Clarke looked way better than a jersey reds player as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Leinster def has the talent to play rassieball and it would really suit prendergast’s talents as well.

Seems like a good option going forward. There’s no wrong way to play rugby.

I would say leinster’s defense has looked mistake prone out wide this year while still being extremely solid in the 22. So, its probably reasonable to say munster would have done better in better conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Dunne's best performance last season was on First Dates.

Advertisement