Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Doesn't appear the suspension is different than AWD

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not 100% sure if there is different suspension hardware but the fact that you can vary settings through software in the P model on its own makes the suspension different 😂

The rear motor is also the high power motor. Same as the one surprisingly in the cheap base model SR+. The LR AWD has a smaller weaker motor in the rear

I never really understood people buying the LR AWD new, it is the one of the three that was always poor value for money compared to the other two

Anyone who is a keen driver can take the two of them out back to back for a spirited drive and will notice there is a huge difference in the way these cars drive (using track mode)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

M3P sits lower which could possibly be just different springs but the suspension, damper assembly and sway bars have different part numbers across the different trims.

Not 100% sure if this means they are different set ups.

Then the obvious motor/performance differences.

And at about €70k it was a superb value for money brand new. Best car to compare it with for performance is a BMW M4 which starts at about €150k before any extras. Of course BMW have re-caught up in the mean time and now have the i4 M50 starting at €87k (in Paddy spec)

I’m looking forward to see the new M3P pricing in the new year. It was about €60’ish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Will that be RWD or AWD? Not sure how the performance model of the M3 works. MYP is only AWD I can see from the website. Whenever the day comes to jump ship to EV I’d only be interested in a performance model.

P is always AWD dual motor nowadays. the older versions were RWD single motor. I had a 2014 P85+.

The new plaid stuff is tri motor (plaid). There’s rumours of the new M3P having some of the plaid motors.

I’ve been holding off upgrading from my current M3P to see what comes of the new one.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice. Presume the M3P gets unique styling like the YP - specific wheels and carbon lip on the rear etc? (I’ve been binging on MYP videos on YT the last while but not familiar with the 3 equivalent.)

Yeah very similar difference. Subtle. Some say it’s too subtle.

@Gumbo - "P is always AWD dual motor."

Except for the early Model S Performance with RWD only. But you know this of course as we both owned one of those 😎

• Advertisement

Yes I probably should have been more accurate and stated the new versions 😀

The owner of my old MS is in the FB group now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I could've sworn there was another thread around here somewhere for discussing Teslas......

Anyway, found this little gem. They are pretty marmite, I will admit but I always had a soft spot for a Smart car. Almost no mileage done on this over the last 3 years of existence: https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/smart/pulse/fpa/3017597?journey=Search

Crazy money though when for a few grand more you can buy a brand new e-Up

Would love a smart for 2 electric, but they were never sold here. Compliance car in the USA, so could be bought for peanuts there second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Saw loads of them over in Rome last summer, cool little thing. But not at that price, and the window sticker says 20k, so it’s already had a 5k haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Presuming this is a new car that can be put on a 241 plate, it’s a keen price for a brand new EV. Old tech obviously but they’re cheap to run and fun to drive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/34735280

Volkswagen e-up! Style 32kwh 82hp Auto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Must take you for a spin on the LR some day as you seem to think that there is only a neglible peformance difference between the SR+ and the LR.

The P rear motor was only on a small batch of early LFP batteried '21 SR+, the others had the more efficient "small" motor which was then upgraded to the hairpin one sometime in late 21. And the LR compared to any of the RWDs is way quicker especially at higher speeds. The boost from the inductive front motor is very noticeable, and this is without buying the acceleration boost which uncorks the motor power with the map from the perf model. The LG battery also seem to hold its capacity better than the Panasonic on perf and SR+ pre LFP, which was an unexpected bonus I didn't anticipate when buying. Would definitely buy the LR again if I was on the market.

One model I don't understand at all is the LR RWD that was on sale in 2023. The only advantage I can see is faster charging speed with cool battery and maybe 80 km more range over the LFP RWD. But the premium was not that much over the base model and I think they had bit more power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

my MY LR is listed as having the 3D3(137kw) and 3D7(194kw)motors . Does the RWD delivered to Ireland in 2023 have the 3D6 (220kw) motor ?

@sh81722 - "Must take you for a spin on the LR some day as you seem to think that there is only a neglible peformance difference between the SR+ and the LR."

I never said that! In fact the LR AWD with the performance software upgrade is nearly as quick as the P away from the lights. My best mate bought a LR AWD 5 years ago (not in this country), I am quite familiar with it

@sh81722 - "The P rear motor was only on a small batch of early LFP batteried '21 SR+"

Pretty sure all SR+ before the LFP versions (so all of them from 2017-2021) had the performance rear motor too.

For me, I would buy the performance for the way it drives and can be tweaked. I don't need the range or the charging speed or the AWD and whether it can do 0-60 in 2, 3 or 4s is not all that important to me. If I couldn't afford or justify a P, I wouldn't spend thousands extra on an LR AWD over a SR+ and I actually prefer RWD cars over AWD cars. The latter are too sterile / soulless to me. Hope that clarifies my position 😂

Yes, and it's good all the preferences and use cases are catered by the various variants of the same basic car by mixing and matching various motors and software.

Not sure if this is a bargain but an interesting vehicle anyway. Doesn't say if it's VAT included or not.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2021-volkswagen-transport-abt-electric/35876868

• Advertisement

Nice spec Ludicrous+ Model S for 29990 asking. I'd love that! For some reason it comes as 417 bhp on the motorcheck. The drivetrain warranty will still be valid for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Nice car but I just struggle to see value in any 10 year old cars at these and higher price points, ICE or EV.

Warranty long gone. History impossible to know.

Regardless of mileage, time also starts to impact parts, be they seals or parts prone to rust.

The only exception in my mind is someone who is comfortable doing DIY fixes.

Sure it might have power and run well, but for 30k I'd rather a brand new car (and I write from privileged position of an above average income house)

😎

Different strokes for different folks. I don't understand the 10 years point. The car I linked is less than 8 years old and still has factory drivetrain warranty which was the point. And actually the warranty is even for unlimited miles. Also as it it not a private sale the garage would also have to stand over it.

I know many people would buy a new BYD econobox for the same price but for the others this seems like a good deal.

I heard this argument many times going back decades on the motoring forum. People were shocked I bought a 7 year old BMW 735i V8 petrol auto with 112k miles on it for €11k while for just €18k I could have bought a brand new Toyota Corolla 1.3 manual 😂

For some people a car is just a tool to go from A to B. Like for me a washing machine is just a tool to wash clothes. Doesn't need to be fancy or fast or comfy or luxurious or laden with bells & whistles, or even easy and relaxed to operate, as long as it's reliable and does the job cheaply

That’s my old car.

Traded to Tesla in March 2022.

They obviously removed the free super charging and free premium connectivity before sending it out to the trade 🥲

Its lost its 21” wheels too at some stage. That car is 2.6 seconds to 60! Launch mode enabled!

Tesla took a massive haircut on that. They deserved that for all the miserable trade in offers they gave people over the years 😂

Looks so good with chrome delete and those wheels. When was it first registered for warranty purposes? Wonder if my wife would like a P90D instead of a Nissan?

I can’t remember exact date but 161 so within the first 6 months.

€57,609 they paid me. They gave me cash back getting into a M3P at the time.

It was ran as a Ranger car until about month or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭User1998

At least they got almost two years of driving from it. How many miles did they add using it as a Ranger car?

Advertisement