Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How can Israel and Netanyahu simultaneously believe Hamas has the capacity to 'destroy Israel', but at the same time firmly believe they will be able to crush and obliterate Hamas in the next months (to the point where there won't be a single Hamas member left alive)? None of this even adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

Hamas doesn't have the capacity to destroy Israel.

(With a bit more "luck" they might have given it s better shot this time.ie come closer)

But ,it should be obvious that even if they are physically defeated this will only provide a brief respite for Israel and what will follow will likely be a fertile ground for groups like Hamas to recruit support.

Israel will have to navigate that territory to survive.If it fails in that navigation it could be destroyed(and take a lot of others down with it no doubt)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Don't worry, your friends in the US Left are working to change all of that. As we know, US college campuses are becoming hotbeds of anti-Semitism and that will eventually spill out into wider American society. Eventually, that could mean no more US support for Israel, and that in turn would mean that Hamas, Hezbollah, Iran, Islamic Jihad, IS, Al Qaeda etc. can do whatever they want to the Jews. And in that they will have at least the indifference of some on the radical Left.

There's no arguing that Hamas/Iran have played an absolute blinder with their 7/Oct attacks. But they could not have been anywhere near as successful if they didn't have legions of useful idiots championing their cause in the West.

Jewish Students Sheltered Inside College Library During Protest - YouTube

DEI Offices Are Driving Campus Antisemitism | Glenn Loury & Tabia Lee | The Glenn Show (youtube.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

You have to view what happening now in Palestine in the wider context of how Israel is viewed in the middle east and Islamic world generally, so it's not just Hamas. They are just the tip of the spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's not just Hamas. It's Hezbollah in Lebanon, rattling their sabres. It's the Houthis, hundreds of km away in Yemen yet taking pot shots at ships in the Red Sea that might be heading for Israel. Iran is behind it all, using these smaller local forces as proxies, and discrediting Israel with the world's governments and media is part of the strategy. This is a propaganda war as well as a proxy war, since the Iranian regime knows what will happen if they attack Israel directly.

All these reports of Israeli atrocities ... all true? Who knows? I don't, and I don't believe anyone here knows either. One of those reports from a hospital says that the people there are scared the IDF is going to kill them all ... where do they get that fear? Not from anything the IDF has said or what they've actually done so far on the ground. (Yes, I've seen reports of IDF soldiers being dicks, as soldiers do; they should follow their orders, not dick around in a playground, write crap on shells or whatever.) I've said all along that Israel needs to be held to a higher standard, preferably by themselves, if they want to represent civilisation in the region, and that starts with obeying the rules of war and being seen to obey them.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Shelling 2 million people in what is effectively an open air prison and killing thousands is one way to create more

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ah the old antisemitism again, the go-to !! Maybe its just ante murder of women, children and other innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

132 countries voted to ask Israel for a ceasefire in the UN. Would they claim all those countries are antisemitic? Or that they are against the reckless actions in killing women and children 😕 people can be against israels actions and not antisemitic.

It is as lazy as claiming Hamas with 30k militants are an existential threat to Israel.

**** hell they really are not becoming hotbeds of antisemitism. Does it exist, yes, but being against the deplorable actions of Israel does not make one an antisemite. The next person who tries this should just piss off as they are not arguing anything in good faith.

Useful idiots on both sides by the way, and considering the narrative is almost exclusively being controlled by Israel it appears theirs are bigger idiots

Tell that to the Jews that had to hide and lock themselves into the library at Cooper Union in New York. As to who is winning the narrative war, it's clear that the "Israel bad" narrative is prevalent. Hamas and their useful idiots are playing a blinder.

• Advertisement

Well ten minutes of protest in which the new York police where present and nothing of note happened according to them.

It's easy to record a few minutes of protest and frame it as some evidence in the rise of antisemitism across the countries colleges, but that should be called out for the complete and utter bullshit it actually is.

I think I'll go with the NYPDs thoughts on it rather than the useful idiots on here and those that are deliberately framing very isolated and incidents and some sort of proof of absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They had to hide in a library

Meanwhile Palestinian children are trying to dodge 2000 lb bombs, the equivalent of 2 nuclar bombs has been dropped on Gaza in the last 8 weeks.

And they didn't really have to hide. They were already there. They locked themselves in and piss all happened.

Being pro Palestine in the face of all that Israel and it's official policy is doing to ordinary Palestinians in both gaza and west bank does not make one a hamas supporter.

Being against much of what Israel has done both pre Oct 7th (illegal settlement, interment, humiliation, intimidation,, etc etc) and since does not make one antisemitic either.

We can separate them out. But nope, must be an antisemite. Must wheel out that lazy narrative and press on the collective guilt of people.

No it's definitely Israel controlling, and it's nearly complete nonsense and so **** easy to see through it doesn't deserve any attention for the most part.

Ah Jaysus ?? Imagine that - having to lock yourself in a library !! How awful !!

Meanwhile women and children are having huge bombs dropped on them in a REFUGEE CAMP when they were told to go there for safety BY the ISRAELIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,210 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People going on about Hamas wanting to kill as many jews as possible should have a look on social media to see countless amounts of Israelis saying the same about Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The majority of Jewish people in the West are middle class (or even higher) and well educated - not exactly the type of people you would expect to be facing rampant racism and discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

A side issue for both sides at the moment but what are the long term economic impacts for both sides?

A lot of Israeli males are on army duties, productivity must be badly affected, the cost of arms must be extremely high, tourism must be on its knees and will take a long time to recover, not sure if there is boycotting of Israeli goods, there is going to be a lot of money required for security measures going forward. I don't know what the economy was like before the war started? I presume that money will come from the US and expats.

For Palestinians, it is a matter of just trying to survive. I can't imagine there is any business surviving. Infrastructure is destroyed, hospitals bombed, housing gutted, schools flattened, water and electricity supply in tatters. I don't know what economic activity there was in Gaza before this kicked off. You would think for the forseeable future, it is going to be dependent on outside assistance for food, to build housing etc. but poverty is going to exist for a long, long time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Does that include pro Israel accounts on social media?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And as sure as God made Green Apple's that advice was well heeded by Hamas. Waving flags and shouting " death to the Jews. From Sea to Sea, Palestine will be free" is all very fine, in protests and demonstrations etc. until you have to meet the Israeli's face to face. Since the very beginning, Hamas have buried themselves deep in civilian society, and then scream to the press " Israel are Mass Murderers, look at them bombing and killing in the safe zones " while conveniently forgetting that it was Hamas who started it by going to the safe zones themselves. This has been Hamas SOP from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So Israel are now warning dire consequences on their other neighbours. Who will stop them in their tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Exactly and Israel and the USA have known this full well. One can only conclude that there is no consideration at all, as far as the IDF are concerned all residents of Gaza are members of Hamas or potential members or sympathisers - so they feel justified to slaughter as many as possible.

It is, until you have a quick look at the statistics for gun crime in the US. Solidary men, on the flimsiest of excuses, killing multiples of civilians with military grade weapons, and for sure, Israeli killing Palestinians in Gaza, is far from being a Flimsy excuse. Remember the Boston Marathon Bomber? Born in the US, but parents came from Chechnya. If I were in the same situation as you outlined, I'd be damn worried too. What do you think Tayto, that such an attack (or multiples) will take place in 2024?

Israel behaves like a country that has been under attack since it's creation and is surrounded by mortal enemies because ... it has been under attack constantly since its creation and is surrounded by mortal enemies. Some entity or another has been plotting to annihilate them continuously since 1947, and their strategic geography is beyond horrifying. It seems to me that these realities are what informs their thinking.

And I don't regard it as a co-incidence, at least not in full, that campaigns like BDS aim to do economically what others have (so far) failed to do by other means, that is, undermine and weaken Israel to the point where it can be obliterated by its enemies.

As to the anti-Semitism argument, the fact remains that nearly half the worlds Jews - and the largest group in all - live in Israel or the Disputed Territories. So to me, the dilemma is a simple one - you're either with them, or you're with the people who want to wipe them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

You can be against the actions of Israel now and not be against the Jewish people in general or antisemitic. I am not a supporter of the bds movement so its not every is on one side or the other, pro or anti Israel.

You are throwing the phrase antisemitic so freely in this thread that you as may as well be calling people woke. The parameters for being antisemitic are so fuzzy now that if support bds you can be accused as being antisemitic.

I would like to see your proof of that instead of this same o; same ol all the time. Someone said earlier that Hamas were all underground while the civilian population were left above ground to suffer. Now you are saying that Hamas are above ground hiding behind the civilians. Let's see some proof or is the Israeli propaganda changing to suit their style of bombing?

And another thing. This did not start on Oct 7th. The Palestinians have been treated brutally for many years and Oct 7th was a brutal retaliation by them. Completely over the top and completely wrong and should never have happened, none the less a symptom of being treated like 'human animals' for many years.

Far too much gun crime in the US and far too easy to own guns. '' I don't Like Monday's '' over and over again. Presidents and Governments too scared to change the laws on gun ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ahhhhhnd there it is. Spelt out for everyone to see.

Israel deserved the terrorist attack. An extremely common belief, that we have seen repeated from the 8th Oct. Wouldn't have been said if it happened in any other country.

Do you feel the same about all terrorist attacks?

Advertisement