Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Actually 20 cent difference is happening every day. I finish 60 to 100 fr bulls every year , all home reared. Last year I got 5.40 flat . My br in law got 5.20 same week, same agent. The difference was fat cover. His were half finished whereas I started feeding mine earlier. Whether I was better off than him at the end of the day is debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got 5.40 flat mix of he and aa and free transport last week. Just a trailer load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s there for anyone that wants it, hard to fathom that there’s men out there killing cattle that don’t understand what a flat price is or how it works. The factory agents must love seeing their names coming up on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Healthy he is a flaker 3-4 month old calf, if you look on the LHS of the docket you will see days old they were. The three lighter ones are all 45-60 days they are all older but not that old. They have drank a lot of milk and eaten a lot of calf ration.

They are soft weanlings but have come in at the right price. The mollycoddling is over but they will be grand. I put the light lad into the only bedded pen I have with a light LMX heifer I bought a few weeks ago a shy ( but quite) animal as well.

I never get this long wait crack on cattle. Its all about margin/profit. I have put in just under 20 cattle in the last 3 weeks for about 320-330 euro average. We are expanding our operation, the next 18 months may be tricky but if we can hold a decent slaughter level next year and get through the winter of 24/25 we can bang on again.

Those light cattle are costing 80c/ day on silage and 3/4 a kg of ration as well as minerals. 75 euro would carry them to April.

Did them with bovilis, Triobex as well as fluke and worms. They were squeezed as well. In total 500 will carry most of them to finish in May/ June 2025. Will they average up near the 1800 euro ????, definitely 1700.

Old style farming

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Where? They paid for a keep and trailer? How much?

• Advertisement

So which midlands plant specifically is buying cattle flat rate just for the mention of Angus or Hereford with no qualms about what they are bar they’re not p grade?

If you were tb free would you consider returning them to the mart this time next year as warm stores? It’s a system I’d fancy only for the fear of a reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

The same ones I told you last night, Keepak in Kilbeggan and 2 different Liffey meats plants. There’s a private Abbatoir offering or also but I’ve never been happy with killout percentages there so I haven’t dealt there for a number of years now.

No, good ground, yes TB not an issue at present. However low cost system at 450 kgs mart weight those Fr will not exceed 900 euro. The Six's and other coloured cattle might sell a bit better but on average I have never seen much money made in a mart.

In twenty years I have sold 15 cattle through the mart ( ten of them in the first year learned from my mistake) IMO it's +50 or -150 in the marts

Slava Ukrainii

When they hit 450kg you’d keep one and a half of their replacements on less than the same do is my point though. Small cattle are very efficient grazers

• Advertisement

Maybe but those stores have the hard work done. Go to the mart the wrong day and all your work is for nought. Take it you are stocked at 1.5 times finishing numbers. Now you need to market ( going from the 80 mentioned earlier) 120 cattle, will you haul at buying and selling. Mart fees presentation of stock, will you feed pre sale. There was only a really strong 3-4 week autumn mart sales period this year.

Now I have dry land and can manage early slaughter basically as long as I can keep a silage based winter system and slaughter 80+% before mid September I cannot improve on it I think

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

He should be sound so if that's the case. I seen the list of days but I was wondering if it was age or days in herd which may or may not be the same thing depending on movements. As above a dry lie and a pinch of meal will make a job of him, if he gets to grass early he'll fly it over the summer. Those little lads don't need hardship but there past the real baby stage all the same. You don't find 12 months passing and there into a different beast but the biggest problem I find is that you'd want a lot of ground to run a number of stock when you're going from that stage to finishing. However it's nice to see a beast actually growing into money and as a friend of mine would often say about the like "you'll never have to take any less for him".

Moves are on LHS of the days there is only one lad in the bunch that had more than one move. But ya you are right those are days in herd.

The three single movement friesians were in the rushes for a while before they were found.

You would amazed at how light you can buy cattle and they would not be stunted. If calves are adequately dobe for the first 8-10 weeks they can survive a nice bit of hardship. Often buy poor weight for age cattle and I be more worried about there genetics than they being stunted usually

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

As long as it’s just hunger /parasites and not pneumonia survivors or been nibbling ragwort these type cattle can leave astounding margins. But it takes an element of bravery.

a cattle dealer said to me once “when I was young and knew nothing I could make plenty of money but now that I know plenty I can make none” What he meant by that is the memory of buying a what turns out to be a screw or a casualty lives long in the memory and impedes your likelihood towards perceived risk taking.

A haulier/tangler said to me a few years ago that bunches of hungry poorly weighting cattle will very seldom have anything seriously wrong with them. Its the single lad to watch out for. Admittely we buy a nice few singles ourselves. The lad selling those Friesians I bought should definately put the two heavier lads in one lot. Mart was quite same day 20-30 weanlings only about 8-10 light cattle after I got the SI's and the first Friesian there was little competition nobody was coming for one animal. The small lad fell very easy to me.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If there's a bundle of backward type cattle then it's usually a management issue. However there's also inbreeding and the like to look out for, those sort of cattle never seem to turn the corner even on a good run. The biggest thing I'd be afraid of is 1 backward lad coming in alongside a bundle of good comrade cattle. He got the same chance as the rest but for whatever reason never done the business.

A fella I'd know to see around the marts for years bought a few cows in our local town one night online last Christmas. He's from good land in Galway so obviously a step ahead of about here. There was one very weak SH cow on it and he remarked when he came the next day for her that she looked a dodge and thats why she came in cheap. I told him to show me her card and sure enough she came from our country and off a serious bad run of ground where she'd have gotten no minding and was probably incalf. I said I thought she should come ok with a bit of care and that she'd be an out lier and to leave her out. He met me lately and said I was right about the cow, she calved in the spring and reared an average weanling and he killed her off grass in October and got away grand. If you had an idea what you were buying and avoided the screws then you'd be away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

liffey meats b.sloe

cull cow fr o=4+ 4.10/kg

aa heifers 21 months o=4+ 5.20/kg

over age fr hiefer o-4+ 4.65/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

So are you changing your system and buying all handy weanings or are you hoping to buy these along with your store cattle and increase the number of cattle you sell annually?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I have 4 x CHX, 23 months old, all over 800kg. Bullocks

What should I be aiming to get from the factory?

Post edited by Conversations 3 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HHH

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Post edited by Conversations 3 on

I have about 55-60 cattle capable of being slaughtered by end of 2024. We will probably be farming a bit more ground next year. However we have limited shed space and nitrate alowance space and cattle always climb fast in price so we are target part of the expansion by buying weanlings that can be slaughtered in 2025. Aim to be slaughtering 90+ in 2025

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

So do you hope to purchase all weanlings and no store cattle? So will you be grazing 180 animals for some part of the summer or what time of the year in 2025 do you hope to have your cattle finished?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I got the details today on 1 LM and 2 AA bullocks I sent to ABP on 21-Dec.

The AA were 275kg and 271kg DW and made €1,470 and €1,447 or €5.35/kg. That’s before deductions and includes QA and AA/ABP/Advantage/whatever bonus. If they were approx 540kg LW they’d have to make nearly €2.70/kg at the mart to match the factory.

LM was 282kg DW and came into €1,451 or €5.15/kg. If he was 560-570kg LW, he’d need €2.60/kg at the mart to match it.

Happy overall. They got 3-ish kg of Grennan’s bull nut (€400/ton) for around 6 weeks. Lying on stok board which I scrapped out every day. That was a bit of a pain but still easier and cleaner on them than trying to keep straw under them.

I’ll weigh the last 14 stores left now next week and hopefully pick out another 3-4 for the same finishing routine. After that, whatever’s left will stay in the shed til the middle or end of March and out to grass again then. Can’t leave them out before that as the weanlings will need whatever early grass is there.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone kill this week?

If it was me I would priotise my finishing cattle with grass if I could. Evenbei grout 10-15 days earlier makes a significant difference to cattle like that.

The sooner they are out the sooner they are gone. Weanlings will have all summer long to catch up.

Slava Ukrainii

Would you believe I forgot to ask on the phone? I’ll get the cheque and all details in the post in the next day or 2 so I’ll post it then

• Advertisement

That’s a fair point. I’ll see how grass is going. Another factor that will play out in the coming 2 months is how much of the fodder rape the weanlings get thru. It’s a much heavier crop this year and even thou I’ve extra weanlings on it, I don’t think they’ll have it finished by late Feb when I’d hope to turn them onto grass.

Advertisement