Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Shehal

And funny enough France arent labelled as bottle jobs despite failing in a worse fashion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Why would you think it had anything to do with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What can Ireland do to learn how to deal with the pressure of a quarter final of a world cup?

I'm some randomer on the internet. You hardly think I'd have the answers for that. But from my amateur viewpoint, the first part in fixing a problem is admitting you have one. Every 4 years we brush over the issue, find excuses or just lie to ourselves pretending there's not a choking issue.

Then I'd say it'd be time to get professionals involved. Obviously we have psychologists on board already but they need to focus on this issue. World Cup quarter finals cause us to collapse time after time. Like Mayo in All Ireland finals. Obviously it's not an easy fix but I'm worried we're letting ego's rule here.

They don't want to admit to weakness. It's not an easy thing to face up to. But until we do, lessons won't be learned. There's my amateur advice for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shure mayo are cursed

They need an exorcist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

They don’t want to admit to weakness (in the media?). But until we do, lessons won’t be learned’.

I agree with the amateur part at least.

And the award for the most predictable reply to a post goes to......clsmooth. Congratulations. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think you’re focusing on a lazy narrative and not actually looking back at previous World Cups and analysing where things went wrong for us.

Can you share what you feel went wrong at each of the last 5 World Cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OldRio

I don't. That's my point. But you do know that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Happy Christmas to all Irish fans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This time around, I felt they played within themselves. Could have been the plan. There's very little between the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

It seems that the IRFU are failing to admit that the problem you see exists. Or possibly, they do recognise that this problem exist and are brushing over the issue and finding excuses and pretending that there isn't a 'choking' issue.

There is a clear need to point this out to them in a manner that they can't ignore.

Have you any thoughts on how this might be accomplished ?.

Well, I agree in that brushing over the issue seems to be the preferred method. You can even see it on threads like this. Discuss anything but the choking issue. As I've said before, you can understand why this is done. It's a difficult topic to acknowledge, nevermind discuss.

As for getting the IRFU's attention, we could type a strongly worded email. Or what are your ideas?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

People who say "Ireland always choke" are also conflating choking with just being bad which was the case for the majority of our world cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They also think that what’s discussed here is in anyway relevant to what is discussed behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Shehal

I still can't get my head around people perceiving losing a 1 score game to NZL counts as choking...the bookies had it as a 2 point game for a reason. If Ireland lost like they did in 2019 or 2015 then you could perceive it as choking but not 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I still can't get my head around people perceiving losing a 1 score game to NZL counts as choking

"In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected"

Before the game, everyone was saying we were the better team and would win by 10 points. Then we gave by far our worst performance of the tournament in our most important game

I would be prepared to believe that any issue that affects the success of the Ireland national team, and thus the financial bedrock of all Irish professional rugby, is treated seriously by the IRFU. As for acknowleding that such a problem exists I also believe that it's difficult to publically state that that your employees 'choked' and retain the confidence of those employees. So it is (probably imo) the case that the issues you cite are not glossed over or ignored, but are being worked on. We're progressing, maybe not as fast as we'd like, but nonetheless.

It may be co-incidental that Leinster, as bulk suppliers to Ireland, have employed the twice succesful RWC coach from the only country never to have lost in a RWC final. Will that have an influence on Ireland squads in the next 2 RWCs ?

I think people should read Neil3030's post carefully and they will see what people are talking about. Some players played with fear, no freedom, basic errors, missed kicks, legs going etc. Clear signs of not handling the pressure. We played differently than we have for the previous 2 years. We didn't cope with the pressure, it's as simple as that. Here's Neil3030's post which gives the stats to back this up:

I went back and had a quick look at some attacking stats, ranging from the 2nd test in New Zealand in the 2022 Summer tour, up until and including the QF loss to New Zealand last month. Respectfully, I am not including games against Italy or lower-ranked opposition. I am only looking at games Sexton started.

New Zealand 12 - Ireland 23: Sexton had 27 passes and 2 runs for 30 metres gained.

New Zealand 22 - Ireland 32: Sexton had 12 passes and 1 run for 16 metres gained.

Ireland 19 - South Africa 16: Sexton had 16 passes and 2 runs for 4 metres gained.

Wales 10 - Ireland 34: Sexton had 18 passes and 8 runs for 23 metres gained.

Ireland 32 - France 10: Sexton had 22 passes and 5 runs for 68 metres gained.

Scotland 7 - Ireland 22: Sexton had 27 passes and 5 runs for 20 metres gained.

Ireland 29 - England 16: Sexton had 27 passes and 9 runs for 47 metres gained.

South Africa 8 - Ireland 13: Sexton had 16 passes and 6 runs for 9 metres gained.

Sexton's "pass:run" ratio fell between 3:1 at its most run-heavy (v England in the 6N), and 14:1 at its most pass heavy (first win in NZ). I like this statistic because it normalizes for the amount of times we were actually in possession and not looking to kick.

His metres-gained per carry, for me, is the key. Even into his late thirties, and controlling for outliers, he was good for 4-5m on a carry, which is outstanding. No out-half will come close to this running threat at that age. Especially in tests at that level, and making that many carries per game (robust average of ~4 carries per game).

Defenses absolutely had to take his running threat seriously, and with those runs coming at a robust-average ratio 5:1 across those games, it was a threat that required constant focus by defenses.

Now let's look at the data from the QF loss:

Ireland 24 - New Zealand 28: Sexton had 73 passes and 1 run for 6 metres gained.

Even if you adjust down the 73 passes (at least 37 of them would have occurred in that final drive), this makes 36 passes to 1 run, or a ratio of 36:1. This is two-and-a-half times more than his most pass-heavy game since Summer 2022, and 7 times more than his robust average over that same period. And some might argue that you should not adjust the 73 passes...

But I honestly think you can discount activity in the final drive, and still conclude that Sexton's running threat was practically null for the entire game. We were a pass-heavy and predictable attack. And this policy deviated drastically from our effective performances against top tier opposition in the 18 months previous. Whether it was burn-out, injury, nerves, fatigue, who knows. You will have a hard time convincing me that it was a deliberate tactical decision that they thought would win the game.

Now, you can justly argue that we were nonetheless a Beauden Barrett miracle defensive effort away from reaching a semi-final. So I am not concluding that Sexton's overall performance lost us the game. On another day, we do get that try and probably close out the game. (And probably win the RWC....).

But in the last 18 months, we offered a two-pronged attack and won most games by more than a score (i.e., clear of the influence of these Barrett-like freak moments).

In the game where the data show that we drastically departed from this, we lost.

Note 1: What I mean by "robust average" is taking the exponent of the average of the log transformed data. It controls for outliers, akin to a median, but it's more granular. @jacothelad, I'm sure, can confirm that this is the appropriate measure with sparse and skewed data).

Note 2: Click the scores if you want to look at the underlying data and DYOR (finding matches on that ESPN site is a pain; you're welcome).

Why hasn't he been employed by Ireland? Would be a serious addition to the National team. He'll probably help Leinster but that doesn't necessarily mean it will help Ireland at the next World Cup. Unless he's brought on board of course.

• Advertisement

What helps Leinster must have some benefit to a likely Leinster-heavy Ireland squad. It's probably the case that all other national sides are looking closely at SA's successes & thinking 'how do we get that into our setup'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Before the game, everyone was saying we were the better team and would win by 10 points. 

No they weren't, TRC. That's just literally not true.

You'd hope it would help but a successful Leinster and Munster hasn't helped in the past at World Cups. I suppose we'll see but that calibre of individual should be involved with our national team in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I have and I have previously thanked you for your excellent analysis. Watching the game, it was obvious to me and others that we played within ourselves, some would say we played with fear. It's easy to dismiss a view like that, especially if you don't want to believe it. But with the stats you provided, along with the basic errors, missed kicks etc, a clear argument for nerves getting the better of the players can be made.

I'm not saying this is your view. I'm saying the stats you provided back up that view.

The post was arguing that Crowley should have been introduced late in the game.

It was a single decision by the head coach that I disagreed with, and found data to argue that a counter factual (an OH with more running threat) would likely have been effective.

It was not in any way shape or form arguing that Ireland choked or played within themselves. It explicitly says:

we were nonetheless a Beauden Barrett miracle defensive effort away from reaching a semi-final. So I am not concluding that Sexton's overall performance lost us the game. On another day, we do get that try and probably close out the game. (And probably win the RWC....).

As the originally author, I am asking you to stop misusing this post.

I don't recall everyone saying we'd win by 10. Maybe age is getting the best of me.

I've explicitly said that it's not your view that Ireland choked. I'm saying that the stats you provided can be used as evidence to back up the claim that Ireland didn't play their usual game, that nerves affected them. You even said:

"We were a pass-heavy and predictable attack. And this policy deviated drastically from our effective performances against top tier opposition in the 18 months previous."

Again, this is not saying your post states that Ireland choked. I'm just using the stats within it to back up my view that they did choke. Especially when added to the other evidence.

The data is significant. It shows that the team played within themselves. I think it's fair to say that strategy wise we fell short. Looking at Sexton's stats prior to this, it's likely the game plan was adjusted.

• Advertisement

The stats are not evidence that Ireland choked.

They are evidence that our run:pass ratio was different compared to most previous games.

Sport is complex. Factors such as the opposition and fatigue could explain the pivot.

Evidence of choking would instead be a large volume of errors in routine aspects of play, such as handling errors, sliced kicks or even bad tackling technique and ensuing yellow cards.

Also, if IRELAND choked, then those errors would have to be across the team. There is no evidence of this.

Advertisement