Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So nothing to do with the Democrats running Hillary Clinton or their campaign which promised all of the same? Nothing to do with the grotesque failures, incompetence and arrogance of the DNC throughout the campaign?

Do you blame them for literally anything or is it the voters you hold most in contempt?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If you do something, you are responsible for it. How hard is this to understand?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So people will remember the "arrogance" of the democrats from 7 years ago, but *not* remember the ineptitude, incompetency and corruption of Trump over the more recent four years term?

Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah Trumps stupidity had to be undone. Thats why he had to do so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump didnt say he would be a dictator, he said ‘No, no, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator.’”

"I'm not a murderer. After I killed that one guy, I didn't kill any more!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The very first sentence you quote contradicts what you just said...🤣

So it's the voters you blame most. Got there in the end. How dare they.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I clearly specified the GOP. The voters chose Clinton by a few million.

Since you're pushing Trumpster disinformation once again, let's leave it there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Exactly there are many checks and balances, the President has limited powers.

People said Trump would destroy America and cause WW3 when he was elected for his first term, the madmans finger on the button for the Nukes.

What panned out was a largely uneventful and peaceful tenure of office despite all the provocation and underhand tactics by the Democrats and the crooked Main Stream Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It doesnt.

He jokingly said he'd be a Dictator on Day one.

He cant be a Dictator anyway, you and others know that, there are huge checks and balances, the Us is a country with a long democratic tradition and a very decentralised governance system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So Trump must also be a dictator has he has signed more orders then Biden so far 180 to 220

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, except for Jan 6th and the entire attempt to overturn democracy.

Trump failed in his presidential term because he was lazy and ignorant. But he isn't even pretending that he wants to achieve anything of he wins again like medical reform or infrastructure. All he wants is revenge and to ensure that he never loses again.

Do you really think he won't change election rules to suit himself? That he won't weaponise the DOJ to target opponents? That he, now he has the ultimate immunity, won't do whatever he wants and have people support him on the basis that the Democrats are a threat?

Misinformation? You refuse point blank to acknowledge any role of the Democrats and their own failures in the very existence of Trump as a political force.

You are blaming the GOP for Trump's success in 2016 when the vast chunk of the party wanted nothing to do with him during the election. The GOP were just as surprised when Trump won as the campaign was.

I blame the Democrats more than the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I guess he got through the GOP primary and onto the ballot using magic beans then.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭mun1

The “it’s your fault i did what i did, you should have done more to stop me !” Defence is strong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

"‘No, no, no, other than day one." yes, yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Stanley 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

@MisterAnarchy Trump has pretty recently said that he doesn't have to uphold the Constitution.

Just an insurrection, egging on white supremacists and downplaying them marching on Charlottesville. Plus a pandemic where he tended to be the biggest spreader of disinformation. On top of that pretty much destroying the US reputation on the national stage.

Also that general effort to overturn a fair election through egging on an insurrection is entirely the behaviour of a person who views himself to be dictator. So at best you can claim he failed in his effort to become one.

In terms of the general morality of the GOP pushing him for next year that tends to show him morally destitute the party is. Trump a fraudster, racist and rapist for president.

Anyway, this will most likely get a response of "I'm not a Trump supporter, I'm a centrist"...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Donald Trump has said he'd be a day one dictator - there's an important subtext to that, not that the words aren't alarming enough.

The implication is that he needs to be a dictator on day one in order to make several pressing changes like closing the border.

But if he gets to the end of day one and decides that, by god, enough just has not been done? He goes to his base and says to them, "I need to make more changes! You want a day two dictator??" and they go, 'Yeah!!!'. But the 'deep state' (ie anyone he considers an enemy) keeps pushing back on his reforms. He again goes to his people and say, "The deep state is trying to stop me from making America great again!! Do you want me to be a dictator for as long as it takes to defeat them??" and his base goes, "Ohhh fooking hell heah!!!!!"

Trump is not joking around. If he could be a dictator, he would be one in perpetuity. Project 2025 is very clear about what it wants to achieve and it must be music to Trump's ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

For some reason Boards isn't quoting right today. Your farcical phrase:

"It doesnt.

He jokingly said he'd be a Dictator on Day one.

He cant be a Dictator anyway, you and others know that, there are huge checks and balances, the Us is a country with a long democratic tradition and a very decentralised governance system."

is what I wanted to quote. TFG's had 7 years assault on all aspects of the US government; he claims he'll fire all non-loyalists on day one that he can fire within the government (one wonders how he'll determine that bit.)

Oh, and has been repeated to you and your Trumpster ilk, your messiah himself has repeatedly said, "I don't kid." Get up the yard with that tired defense already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Sorry, I meant to say “——-other than YEAR one What was ‘. Sorry , my mistake. Are we all human and make mistakes now and again!,!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I've got no problem with republican ideas in general, but I've got a problem with Trump. I am surprised that the republicans couldn't find anybody more serious than Trump. The whole world is laughing behind his back, - that is if it were a laughing matter, but it isn't. Putin wanting the Ukraine, China wanting Taiwan, so one can imagine the US's role under Trump in this scenario.

It's not only the insurrection, but he also mishandled confidential documents, and let's not forget how many people, organizations and countries he's offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Besides, Trump doesn't know what a joke is, not on his emotional intelligence radar. You can see the paw prints of Stephen Millar and his merry band in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd also be inclined to put it on the electorate if they're willing to even consider a repeat of Trump. He was effectively the guy intent on egging on division in the nation and had no desire to be the president for everyone. If anything he tended to be the guy who wanted to keep the white supremacists and neo Nazis on side.

Meanwhile I have huge issues with Biden on the uncomfortable relationship with Israel but I'd suspect every president will behave that way. Outside of that, he's been a consistent and uncontroversial leader. Something that was never the case with Trump. The Democrats need to be focusing on developing talent for 2028, I'm guessing we'll be seeing somebody in their forties as the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Regarding the joke bit, Penn Jillette, who'd been on the Celebrity Apprentice, mentions he never saw Trump laugh sincerely. Trump would laugh in a bullying kind of way, ie at someone's expense, but he wouldn't laugh at a joke or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dems have good talent, just needs regular national prominence.

If the Democrats got to grips with just a couple of issues - crime, immigration, blue collar jobs crisis - Trump would be out of business.

On crime - they've destroyed the cities they govern.

On immigration they've got no answers to concerns of so many voters, they've wishy washy nonsense on the Mexican border.

On jobs - they have failed in the rust belt states which is the most unforgivable and it's the most difficult to understand. This should be their bread and butter.

Trump is able to give direct answers to simple questions the Democrats are all over the place on.

It will be the same this time around again.

While Biden and the Democrats dither Trump will repeat the simple soundbites that resonate with the lived experiences of ordinary people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But American politics is not that certain: a party could nominate an inanimate carbon rod, and by default would curry the approximate majority of that party's votes - while wandering independents will always wrinkle their nose at a sitting presidents perceived "failures".

Worth reminding here that Romney lead the polls against Obama til the rubber hit the road, campaigning started and reality asserted itself. Or indeed how Clinton lead most or all polls til the election showed that 1 in 3 chance for Trump was a winner.

We can't speak in absolutes cos until campaigning starts and Primaries begin, everything's just nebulous supposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If the Democrats got to grips with just a couple of issues - crime, immigration, blue collar jobs crisis - Trump would be out of business.

Trump ran for country for 4 years, did practically nothing, achieved practically nothing - and they want him again.

It's mostly about sheer tribalism and "owning the libs", a monster the GOP have created over the decades and now have no control over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement