Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans just fed up of cr@p superhero MOVIES not the actual characters

Options
  • 28-12-2023 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

No doubt without this article I'd be hunted and howled off boards by the mob here.

The Irish film "reviewers" will always have to give a sugar coated "opinion" on RTE radio 1's Arena or whatever. The same goes for the ticket in the Irish Times.

Pretty much says it all. Would love to know what gamers think too, who normally spend most of their boards time in Gaming Discussion.

https://www.polygon.com/24016931/superhero-fatigue-movie-flops-2023-mcu-dceu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

For me it's the fact that I used to be able to watch a movie and not be confused by references to multiple TV shows I should have watched before hand. Now if you haven't watched every MCU TV show a lot of the movies don't make sense, same goes for star wars. Imagine my surprise at the end of the solo movie when a character appears whom I was sure was cough cough. Apparently I didn't watch the tie in cartoon series .

• I've never liked any of them. Awful yokes. I've even heard people on here saying Rebel Moon looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you just take the MCU there has been 33 films in 15 years

The DCEU has had 16 movies in 10 years 18 movies if you include The Batman & The Joker.

Compare that to James Bond there has been 25 movies in 62 years.

Superhero burnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Marvel/DC are sort of a hybrid of stand alone "007" and a genre like Westerns, so there is for sure life cycle to the genre element, yet something like Batman/Superman/Spiderman are strong enough to be their own thing over a 50-75 or more year period, maybe you could add Iron Man to the stand alone list that could go on for decades?

I think they might have got a few more years out of their A list characters, but they diluted the characters too much so they ended up with a bunch nobody cares about so they are purely dependent on the life cycle of the genre.

The other factor that has caught up with them is that they are all mostly tied up with 2 studios, if all Si-Fi films for example were made by 2 studios there would have been less variety and more repetition/bloat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's a mix of fatigue and generic film-making, as well as over-confidence that audiences would essentially pay to watch any old crap because it's "essential" viewing for the in-house universe.

There's good "superhero" movies that succeeded/continue to succeed because they are, first and foremost, actually good movies. Guardians of the Galaxy 3, is a good recent example.

But the last few years has generally seen a glut of predictable, generic efforts that offer nothing audiences haven't already seen ad-naseum, and done incomparably better to boot.

Blue Beetle, Flash, Black Adam, Eternals, Aquaman 2, The Marvels, Quantumania etc. All completely forgettable dross that audiences have no investment in, despite Marvel and DC's attempts to continue to build universes that no-one, at this point, gives a **** about.

It doesn't mean they are necessarily awful, horrible, or unwatchable (though some are) but they're not good enough, or strong enough, to get audiences invested the way they did in the earlier phase of movies and it's a vicious cycle, because the more movies people skip, the less they're inclined to return to the franchise overall as there's then that sense of watching an incomplete jigsaw.

There are plenty of good to excellent superhero movies, but the problem is they haven't been making those kind of superhero movies for a few years at this point, maybe Guardians 3 and The Suicide Squad 2021 being the exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Sick to the death of them and have been for around 10 years. They are rote, by the numbers, bland morality plays that have only taken off to the extent they have because the power of CGI has made them possible. I hate the fact they hoover up all the big money that could otherwise be put into original scripts, just like how the industry used to work pre 2000.

I could name two dozen brilliant films from the 80's and 90's that would never have been made in this era of Superhero franchise domination. The sooner they go away the better, although there is no going back to the old days. They will just be replaced with another mass produced theme park ride type of film that studios think will guarantee them massive returns every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think one of the worst things to happen because of the MCU is other attempts to create universes. DCEU. Remember the Dark Universe? I know there were others but when trying to think I get mixed up with novel series adaptations that only got 1 or 2 movies before being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Add in Marvel and DC scraping the barrel for minor characters or rebooting major ones.

There has been 10 major batman movies in less than 20 years, Bale, Affleck and Pattinson, with more on the way, 10 Spiderman movies since 2002, Maguire, Garfield and Holland.

That's not to mention the crossovers, TV shows (animated and love action) and games.

Now we're getting Black Widow movies (crap) Hawkeye (who cares) a standalone Groot (easiest script ever) Black Adam (who?) it's easy to see why people are tired of this.

• For me it's the forced diversity and postive discrimination inflicted on the audience.

Its like with most movies now. Cast first, movie plot second.

So to me, alot of characters are being resurrected to fill what seems to be diversity quotas.

It's unfortunate really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yeah, agree.

Diversity can be fantastic when used right. Shang-Chi and American Born Chinese are decent, definitely not top-tier, but at least the stories match the characters, rather than "insert minority" character being shoe horned into a story.

Plenty of cringe-inducing girl power stuff in the various avenger movies.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
Advertisement