Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Gourmet Food Parlour presumably. Between the hotel and the entrance. It's not bad.

Western side is a black hole though alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Ah ok. That's miles away.

I mean the area around where the Northwood station will be.

All along the Ballymun Rd from Glasnevin until the M50 and about a mile either side of it, is a black hole.

It's a big population albeit a deprived area historically.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

The Luas is a great system and I'm glad of it's implementation and extension over the years so I'm not knocking it.

But Dublin needs to move away from the Luas imo...that's the wrong phrase. At least stop seeing it as an alternative to a metro. Sure, build more Luas lines in conjunction with metro, but not instead of.

The Luas already has various pinch points, particularly College green and the back of Pearse Street Garda Station at Townsend Street. It'll get a proceed light coming from Hawkins Street but will stop at the next set of signals coming up to Trinity Luas Stop.

As a result it sits in the junction and cars coming from Fleet street with a green light or turning right from D'olier street onto Townsend street with a green light cannot progress as there's a Luas across the street.

Public transport is certainly about providing alternatives to the car. But I think Dublin is ready for a method of public transport that has no impact on traffic or other forms of transport such as busses.

It's the best of both: no impact on street level transport, and quicker, more reliable commute times underground in its own tunnel.

I think people don't realise how quick and efficient a Metro is. How transformative it is. People living in Swords could wake up at 8am and make it into to work easily on time.

I think with our budget surplus, we should be building two lines at once.

All the orbital buses on the north side will feed into it, so it benefits a huge amount of people.

Really, we should do whatevers necessary to upgrade the Green line on the southside.

This means the Luas could be extended to Bray. Which causes sprawl but would actually be good for house prices in the south side.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,765 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ah ok.

I meant more the area of Northwood where the station will be.

I'd consider the Little Venice area more Santry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts deleted.

Please keep to the title. No Luas, No Dart. Plenty other places for these posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Brightlights66

One interesting aspect of this Swords to Charlemont metro line is that the planners seem to have decided to effectively 'mark' the LUAS Green Line, for whatever reason.

A lot of money was spent building the LUAS cross-city section.

I can find only one bit, on its journey between the canals (fully 4 km), where the proposed metrolink is more than 400 metres away from the LUAS. (That's the part near Broadstone, where the separation is around 500 metres).

Thus, the metrolink will be adjacent to the LUAS Green Line through its entire journey across the Canal section of Dublin.

Could some kind person on the board enlighten me as to the logic here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Well the plan in future will be that it links in with the Green Line at Charlemont? That it duplicates services during a small portion of its route isn't a significant issue. If anything it provides a back up if the existing service halts for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

To some extent, it might have been caused by the desire to connect with (and initially, to carry on through to) the existing Luas Green line, with the Dart and with the suburban Irish Rail network. It’s hard to do that without a lot of overlap with the cross city Luas line.

Arguably it’s also caused by short sighted planning. If we knew that a metro was going ahead, the route of BXD should have taken account of that to avoid duplication. We had the same problem with the stub into Connolly when the extension to the Point was built. But that’s not how we roll in Ireland. Each project takes so long to bring to fruition that there’s no point in considering the future. Los Angeles is a great example of how this could have been done. In 2016, they drew up a high level map of what a 2040 system should look like, went to voters and asked them to pay an increased tax to pay for it and they’ve been consistently executing that plan ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There was once a tram route to Dún Laoghaire that ran parallel to and almost entirely within 10 meters of the existing railway line, different modes, different distances different journeys, parallel running for a short distance in the core area is not something to be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Like everywhere in the country, there is an obsession with traffic lights. Should he free flow Junction into the airport at least and likewise with the other Junction onto the m1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Metrolink was intended to replace Luas Green south of Charlemont station. That dictated its route south of the river: it couldn't diverge too much from Luas Green if it had to meet it there. This parallel routing was brought up in the review of Metrolink (the review that recommended not subsuming Luas Green line south of Charlemont), but as this was a tunnelled section, and all of the necessary surveying would need to be redone if a change was made, it was felt that it was better to leave it as is.

North of the river, there's no real reason except that any station west of O'Connell St would have needed a large diversion from the route, and it would have been a lot more disruptive to build the station by cut-and-cover. A station to the east of O'Connell Street makes no sense: every major origin and destination in this part of the City is west of O'Connell St.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Initially there was only going to be an underground line north-south in the city centre, then metro was taking so long and our disconnected Luas lines were making us a laughing stock so we went ahead with the surface Luas connection. Now we’re going ahead with the underground connection. So the two are following the same route but this is fine as it’s easily the busiest north south corridor in the whole city.

As for the name, it definitely won’t be called Metrolink as all metros provide “links”. In early government plans it was always blue and this seems like a logical progression since we already have red and green. So Metro Blue Line then.

We really need to introduce numbers though, and they probably should be agnostic as to mode. So DART lines 1,2 and 3, Metro is line 4, Luas Green line 5, and Luas Red line 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

That's not something that's unique to Dublin. Every city can point to infrastructure that was appropriate of its time but somewhat out of place for current needs, but nothing about Luas is redundant in any way and will continue to have its place in the city's transport network

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭markpb

I’m not suggesting that BXD isn’t useful or that it shouldn’t be kept. But if we knew that the metro was coming and would serve the same areas, that money could have been better spent elsewhere. BXD isn’t some legacy of ancient history, it was being built while MetroNorth was being planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

@spacetweek The DART+ mockups hint strongly at a numbering D1, D2, D3... for DART services. That makes a lot of sense, and could be applied straight away to distinguish between the Howth and Laytown branches.

I do think mode should be included in the naming: knowing the type of service tells you how often the train arrives, how fast it will be, and how closely spaced the stations are likely to be. (Brussels has a true metro and a tram-as-metro sharing the same number space, but even as a tourist I found the big difference in service between the two types annoying)

Following the pattern of DART, "M1" might seem like a good prefix for Metro, but we've ruled that out by using M for motorway roads, which could cause confusion when providing travel directions, so something else may be needed...

I dislike using colours as identifiers because 5% of the male population is colour blind (red-green being the most common, followed by blue-yellow), and spelling out the names makes them taje up different amounts of space, making it harder to design clear wayfinding signage.

I would happily rip up the Luas cross city when the metro is completed.

Just from Charlemont to OCS.

The Metro will be way faster and have higher capacity and more frequency, so this part of the Luas will be unnecessary.

You're only losing the Dawson and Harcourt St stops. The Metro will have stops at Tara, SSG and Charlemont.

Also it blocks all the traffic and buses along the quays and around Trinity and College Green.

It sounds retrograde to remove public transport but it creates space for buses which are more important than the Luas. They carry far more people.

It'll never happen but they should consider it.

Also there's a plan to pedestrianise college green and have a plaza. It would be much nicer without a Luas going through it every few minutes.

The Luas is so slow in the city center, I'd imagine people will be switching to the Metro anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭spillit67

We had this a couple of weeks ago.

It absolutely shouldn’t be ripped up.

It provides more stations in the city. Both Harcourt St and Dawson St are major streets and stations there make a lot of sense.

Coming from the south, I ran the numbers and it won’t make sense to get off anytime before Westmoreland Street. It is also debatable whether it is worth it there. Arguably it will be if you get the LG and are heading east towards Tara Street area.

Same goes coming from the Northside.

Add to that with a line there we can in the future look at new lines that incorporate these elements.

• Advertisement

It's worth considering.

It clogs up the entire city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Cars do, not Luas's. If you want to focus your ire on transport taking up disproportionate amounts of space, start redirecting cars away from the city centre.

Both are possible.

Remove cars and the Luas. It's just between Charlemont and OCS.

The Metro overlaps the same route.

Maybe it would be better to put 2 stops between Tara St and Charlemont.

Maybe Dawson St and then Harcourt.

A frankly bizarre suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭gjim

Indeed, ripping up luas lines to make room for buses is a truly bizarre suggestion.

Other cities with decent PT use trams for shortish trips around their city centres and use buses to cover outer suburban areas. Except for the two central Luas sections, Dublin does it arseways - with most of its expensive tram infrastructure located far from the centre while funnelling convoys of heavy 16 tonne 4.5m tall buses through the centre of the city - creating an unpleasant and dangerous environment for pedestrians and cyclists as well as ruining some of what should be classic views of the city.

The long term plan should be to criss-cross the centre with tram lines replacing the necessity to have heavy traffic - double decker buses - clogging up the streets in the centre. And to use buses exclusively for connecting outer suburbs either with the outer core or to provide orbital routes.

If the LUAS Green past Charlemount does get upgraded then there will be some question of the viability of the line at the currency frequencies.

There are, however, a number of other new routes or alternate Green Line routes southside that could use the existing line.

It's not bizarre. The Metro covers the exact same route and is much faster, frequent, higher capacity.

If I was going from the south side to OCS, I'd change at Charlemont onto the Metro.

We're going to be reliant on buses for decades.

Maybe in 10 years, self driving buses will be a reality. It's certainly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you want every single passenger from the green line to change at Charlemont. That's a terrible idea.

Maybe just sever the part between St Stephens Green to OCS.

• Advertisement

If you were going to OCS then you may as well alright given the time though I suspect many won’t bother. Most people are too lazy.

There’s not going to be a Harcourt or Dawson stop. The distances are far too short.

It also makes no sense to plunge more resources into two stations that won’t add to the network.

Ultimately I think the Green Line southside will extend to UCD.

Advertisement