Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with Sky Ireland

• 29-12-2023 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭

If this is not in the right place, please feel free to move, mods.

So, I moved house near the end of October. Felt we were paying too much for SkyBB, TV and landline, at at cost of 132.00 euro monthly. Had been with them for 13 years, so was out of contract. I tried several times to cancel the subscription as I felt it was too much, and another company were offering a much better deal, including mobile phones, so wanted to changeover, as I was moving house, and it seemed like the right time.

I rang several times back in November to notify them of my intention, only to be put on an endless loop of employees, was holding on for so long each time I had to hang up. In the end I was left with no option, and cancelled my DD as I felt this was the only way to get through to them, and lo and behold, I got a bill off them this morning, via post, for 132.00. My intention today, as I am supposedly off work, was to resolve this issue, had no problem paying them the 132.00 for October with intent to make clear to them that I was cancelling the entire service. I tried all of their numbers, and some provided on another forum here, but they all point in one direction. Just pay. If one pays, they will assume that the account is continuing, it was like hitting a brick wall. I tried chatting with their bots, but to no avail. They tell me I can't cancel the service until I pay for November and December as well. This would be almost 400 euro for a service that I am not receiving. Surely this amounts to extortion? I was onto a FB bot, a Whatsapp bot (they all have human names) but they cannot interact as a live person would. They just keep directing me to pay the full amount, which to me is continuing the service that we wish to cancely. Oh, by the way I did get a live person, but she put me through to cancellations 'team' but was hanging on for 25 minutes and gave up. Nothing new there, completely going around in circles.

Is this behaviour in breach of consumer rights, or has anyone got any idea how to deal with this company? Very much appreciated in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Madd002

I cancelled yesterday after 13 yrs also, the call took 2 mins with 1st person then a 15 minute hold to cancellation they tried to keep me reduce price etc. I said sky doesn't meet my needs anymore and to please just cancel. I also asked for cancellation email to be sent. whole process took 26mins but worth it. You should never cancel Direct debit until you officially cancel as they'll hound you for payments they are owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Rang Sky Ireland today to cancel a standard 12 month contract. TV deal began 9th of Feb 2023, Broadband connected 13th of Feb 2023, so figured Id get in there with plenty of notice, given they need the 31 days.

After waiting for 35mins, I was told they couldnt cancel it any earlier than 31 days before the 2 respective dates. So Im to ring em again on the 9th and 13th of January respectively. Is this a reasonable request/ correct procedure? Was with Virgin the year before I signed up with Sky and dont recall a similar issue when I cancelled with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes. It's in their terms and conditions and is standard for many contracts. Put a reminder in your phone and then ring. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Homer

And Sky wonder whey people are leaving in droves for iptv services. Need to be persistent on the phone but worth half an hour or so of your time to ditch them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be fair Sky aren't going to compete with pirated streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They dont even try in Ireland.

The UK gets the ability to buy individual packages of sport like golf, football etc. In Ireland it's all or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mywifetoldme

Can I asked what sort of reduced price they were offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I hate ringing sky. I cancelled before Christmas, a sky customer over 20 years. Had enough of having to ring to stay on a deal. The reduced price should be the outright price. The fact any call to them takes so long and you have to be in the right frame of mind to call them. Now that I have cancelled I'm getting calls to go back.

I was on 42.50 for basic package offered 21.50 for 12mnth contract. But I stuck to my guns this time and actually cancelled. I have saorview and old sky box and receiving channels sky got rid off I have all the music channels and all English channels + a few extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

I am still trying to cancel Sky, and have had to resort to using comreg. Here is the story.

I have received two letters this week, with the second one notifying me that that they are selling the debt to a debt collector.

No letter provides information regarding cancellation of services, just how to pay. But if I do that, then I am acknowledging that I am in, and wish to continue being provided with their service. It is a brick wall.

Again, have called. The number is as 0818 number, but when I call, it recognises that my number is in 'debt', and a message tells me I must pay there or then to continue receiving the service I don't want. No option to cancel.

I have also sent an email of complaint to head office, trying to avert a disaster of having a debt collector in the picture. I just checked the date of the letter that was re-directed to me regarding a debt collection agency, and it was dated 13th December, it only arrived today, as my post is being redirected. I have decided to consult with my solicitor, as I don't wish to have my credit rating affected.

Will keep you updated.

This was my mistake, but I really did try to cancel, was holding for ages, had also called at 1500 premier number, which I found somewhere online, didn't realise it was such, and ran up a huge bill whilst holding on.. and they had no intention of hearing me, once they knew I was trying to cancel.

PH

• Advertisement

I rang 0818 719 819, try ringing off another number, unfortunately it'll cost you more In the long run re costs debt collector costs, solicitors costs. Best thing to do is pay up & cancel at same time. You can let them know you tried numerous times to cancel but was on hold for ages, seeing as you are getting post redirected I'm presuming you moved or you could tell them that. They might reduce cost owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi Madd, I passed in on to my solicitor, she's a good one! Yes, I moved house, and needed to make some amendments to my will as a result, and she said she'd fire off a letter to them today, and should be the end of it. She herself had issues with Sky years ago, but knew how to put them back in their box. She said their actions were indeed criminal and amounted to harassment in my case. I showed her all my communications, the outgoing calls to various numbers, including a premium number and two chats with two bots. She was quite speechless! One conversation with a bot went on for over 6 hours. Unacceptable.

I found a newspaper article from June 2023 online, stating that they had been fined 53 000 euro for not complying with consumer law, and that comreg were monitoring them closely. Not even nearly close enough!

Thing is, Maddox, my phone number was blacklisted so I could only pay, not deal with a person to cancel, or if I did, I could be on hold for 30 minutes. I was completely stone-walled. If I paid up, I would be continuously billed every month. Catch 22.

PH

Fair play if your solicitor knows what their like, you've done your homework. Hope it all gets sorted soon. 🙏

Advertisement