Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brakes spongey after having the bike upside-down ?

Options
  • 28-12-2023 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

My bike has hydraulic disc brakes. I have found that when I leave it upside-down for a while to work on it when I put it right side up again and pull the brake levers they don't engage. I can pull them until the lever touches the handle bar, I have to pump them a number of times and each time I pull them they 'engage' a bit earlier until finally they are engaging after being pulled only a bit (and are well away from touching the handle-bar). Is this normal ? I don't think they used to behave like this, ie previously if I pulled the brakes before inverting the bike then inverted it, when I righted it again they would engage at the same point first time I pulled them.

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Either need a bleed or a top up, simple enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Well that's the funny thing, I had read previously that spongey brakes indicated that the fluid needed topping up, they have been like this for months and recently I needed new pedals. So I left it in to the bike shop to have the pedals replaced last week and figured I might as well get the brakes serviced while it was there. So they charged me €55 to service the brakes and the receipt reads 'Rear full bleed, Front top up', they did also note that the rear pads and rotor were quite worn and would need to be replaced soon. After this work it is still the case that when I invert the bike the rear brake only becomes spongy, to me it is like they fixed the front break (via top up according to the receipt) but the back break is still spongy. Is it normal for it still to be spongy due to the wear on the disc/pads or does the fact that it is still spongy suggest that it wasn't done properly and I should bring it back to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I'd bring it back. The brake pistons should be self adjusting as the pads wear, so that shouldn't cause excess travel.

You could check at the joints to see if they're leaking/weeping, but I wouldn't actually do anything, as the shop can point to that and say it's an issue caused by the work you did, not them.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Why would you turn your bike upside to service it? Keep it upright. Any air in the system will rise to the top which when upside down is your calipers.

Shouldn't be any air in the system, though, especially after a bleed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Yep, but the solution is not 'don't turn your bike upside down', it's get the brakes bled and set up properly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Probably don't even need to bleed them if they were serviced recently, just open up the reservoir at the top, pour in a bit flick and bend the pipe a bit, close it back up. Yes the bike shop should do it but if you have the fluid in your house, it would certainly be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Alanbt

On a very practical level, if this occurs only after putting the bike upside down then very much part of the solution is not to put the bike upside down

Only insofar as part of the solution if the engine in your car makes funny noise when you start it, is not to start your engine.

Hydraulics are sealed systems, and there shouldn't be air in that system because air is compressible, and hydraulic systems rely on oil not being compressible.

You should be able to turn your bike upside down without the brakes going spongy. If you can't, the system isn't sealed, and needs to be fixed, whether that's a joint that's weeping, air in the lines, or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pairofpears

What calipers are they as I have the Shimano RS505 on one bike and they have always been known to be not the best as it was Shimanos first set of road calipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Zip tie / tape the brakes on for a few days, Any air will find its way to the master cylinder and your brakes will be prefecly bled

Advertisement