Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭John arse

GAA players who talk about "givin it a rattle" before an absolute hammering!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sterlingwork

Their..instead of him or her as a determiner. Their is a plural word. An individual cannot be a plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

People who use 'so-called' in the wrong way.

I just read a post where someone was complaining about the 'so-called' EU. There is no such thing; it is actually called the EU.

I know the poster was trying to question the EU's legitimacy or sow doubts about it but it is still called the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: logjam is pre-motor car; it emerged in the 1880s in the logging industry in the US. It refers to the practice of transporting logs to a mill by floating them down a river, and what happens when you put too many logs in at once. It rapidly began to be used figuratively, for any kind of obstruction, delay or deadlock; this figurative use also predates the motor car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ITYM 'them', and such usage dates back centuries.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who say your name after every sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a long-standing usage in English of using "they/them" as a singular pronoun for an individual whose gender is unknown, unstated or undetermined. Jane Austen and Shakespeare are just two of the many canonical figures in English literature who do this. The Oxford English Dictionary has cites going back to 1450.

Tl;dr: Their is a plural word, except when it's singular. (Much like you, come to think of it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Nom Nom Nom

Urgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

But sometimes the sex of a person is determined but they're (!) still referred to by the singular they/them, which is annoying.

For example, "The man jumped out of the car and started shouting at me. They said they were going to call the guards".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I (and collagues) once found a word document a previous colleague had typed out directed at his ex 😂😂😂

He called her by her full name throughout and about 13 times 😂😂

"Let me tell you another thing mary Murphy "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

'So-called' can be used to question the appropriateness of a name. If a person felt the EU isn't properly European or isn't properly unified for whatever reason, then "'so-called' EU" would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm aware of the logic behind it.

However, in the context of the EU, it's stupid and not far from removed from people who say things like sheeple and plandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What's with Irish people now referring to the Government as "Government" without the definite article? I heard that on the radio and saw it on boards this week.

Some of the worst instances of American influence are these seemingly subtle changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

"De Hopital"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Are there any subtle American ones that you did not spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

It makes me wince a bit when I hear politicians being referred to by their first names—Leo, Micheál, Helen, Roderic, Mary Lou etc.

It sounds too cosy and familiar, like they're our pals when in reality most of them don't care about the country and are actively destroying it!

Deceptive uses of the words 'nice', 'kind' and 'compassion'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Language purists would still use Nice in its earlier senses. Much of the hatred on display here is against modern and new meanings.

nice (adj.)

late 13c., "foolish, ignorant, frivolous, senseless," from Old French nice (12c.) "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius "ignorant, unaware," literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (from PIE root *ne- "not") + stem of scire "to know" (see science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] — from "timid, faint-hearted" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very common in West Kerry, I'm told, living in the 13c there is not unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So far on my trip home, I will add "isn't it well for ya", "aren't ya so lucky" and "notions" because I have a nice watch. Please, piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Heard an Irish young lad saying 'on accident' the other day, i.e. the opposite of 'on purpose'.

Thought that shite was confined to North America, made my skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I could care less. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Enjoy just irritates slightly everytime

Like i don't need help if I want to enjoy something

Probably just a buzzword they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hate it when people come out with stupid nonsense like saying that politicians are out to destroy the country. Far-right bollocks.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Stakeholders.

I'm not sure I ever heard it before the Covid era. In constant media use now.

Bespoke is definitely a word that has only entered the mainstream in the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Not sure if anybody would say this now but when I was growing up if myself and my mother went shopping to the supermarket after Christmas and we met people we knew, they would ask my mother, how did you get over the Christmas. Used to drive my mother mad, she used to do a silly laugh as wasn't really sure what to say....

• Advertisement
Advertisement