Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

Thanks, have those few bits done now.

Anyone know what this OHV box is on the front of the engine? ...it's a Stiga ST400 engine. Naively opened it to see what was inside and about 10 or 20 Mls of oil dripped out the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OHV - Over Head Valve

Those sometimes don't have a gasket and instead use silicon sealant. Check after next use that its not leaking a bit of oil if it is replace gasket or clean it all up and use fresh silicon sealant.

Don't worry about the spilt oil the valve cover will always have a drop of oil in it as it gets lubrication along with the rest of the engine.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭rob w

Ok great, thanks a million for that advice. I'm 99% sure it had a gasket on it. I just popped the cover straight back on when I spotted the oil, so didn't get a good look. I'll keep an eye though on next run, thanks again.

Also don't over tighten the bolts on the OHV cover. They are thin metal and if you over tighten them the metal deforms and you get leaks. You can still remove the cover fully and hammer the mating surface out flat. I know from experience :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭offalyguy25

Can anyone recommend a decent mower to cut long (possibly wet when time comes) grass in a large area? I have a Solo Alko ride on (2 yrs old) - but going into the new year, the grass is quite long and wet already (wasn't able to cut the grass full season due to medical issues - finished in early October) so when the season begins I will have a real job on my hands and the ride on will not manage it, just wondering what would be best to invest in to get the first few cuts out of the way with minimal problems, a brushcutter / strimmer on wheels? or is there a decent self propelled mower that would do this? Was looking at the likes of this online: https://mower.ie/product/orec-gr537pro-self-drive-lawnmower?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAs6-sBhBmEiwA1Nl8syFA--Z9jZtngekuz8g3e97Ee8_I0ZohzGkRACUxqxpl1dMkfWsCAhoCx_EQAvD_BwE - but it's pricey, even though it says it will manage long wet grass, any opinions or advice would be most welcome, thanks in advance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭deezell

You can generally get through overgrown grass with a ride on by using a combination of the highest cut, slow speed and only cutting a portion of the width on each pass, half or third. It might be tedious, but beats faffing around with a walk behind. You could also pay a landscaper just once to raze it with a commercial zero turn. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

You could also pay a landscaper just once to raze it with a commercial zero turn.

^^ I second that. What's the point spending thousands for another machine while hired pro would do the same for a fraction of the price? Especially that's more than likely once-off job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Back in November, I got mine done by putting in the mulcher plug (to block chute from clogging) and cutting it on a higher setting. Its been tidy all winter as a result. Main thing was i gave it a decent clean before it went into the shed.

I'll do the same in Spring, weather permitting, only taking the mulcher plug out when the grass is dry enough not to clog the chute.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

Would this be suitable to charge battery on a castelgarden xdc 150hd?

or is there something else that would be better?

Yes, Optimate brand. Cost 70-100 depending on model and capacity, but can nurse nearly any type and capacity back to life. Mine has saved and prolonged batteries from mowers to motorbikes to stop start AGMs to a very pernickety auxiliary battery in a lexus hybrid which refused a standard charger.

The cheapo China one from amazon will probably do most of the same stuff, or will appear to, until it doesn't someday, and maybe toasts your battery. If you're only ever going to use it on the mower, it'll do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

I take your point. Something that will hopefully last years so happy to spend a bit to get right one.

Would you go for this one which seems to have a connector (as well as the normal battery clamps)

Or something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Today I tried to start my lawn mower (with instart battery ignition). All I hear is a clicking noise and all the green lights on the battery flash repeatedly.

I did take off the blade and sharpen it, so the mower was on its side for a few mins. Could I have flooded a part of it with oil/fuel? The Spark Plug looks OK as well, but maybe needs to be replaced? It worked perfectly before I sharpened the blade.

Any ideas?

Bring the battery indoors to warm up, then give it a little time on the charger. Those instart batteries don't like the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Yeah, tried that. I put it back in the charger for 30 mins until it was fully charged. No luck though on the mower. It seems to drain down quickly as well when I try to start it each time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Click Click = dead battery/solenoid/starter motor/wiring

Poor spade connections on the wiring have dogged my instart mower since new. I never know when it'll go click click, but wiggling the wiring while holding down the bar and pressing the starter (requires 3 arms and hands, I know), sorts it till the next time. Battery lamps don't flash though. That only hapoend me on a first use last spring, very cold and batteries were in the garage . Both read 4 green lamps, both went into flat and flashing as soon as I pressed start. Kept them indoors for a good while then charged. Started no problem. Generally, I think it's a poor system, as a current surge failsafe the batteries to 'off' too easily, like on a cordless drill.. An old fashioned lead acid battery will just grunt and turn slowly. Rotate the blade a little to maybe give the pinion a better chance of engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Looking for a lawnmower for life. Pretty small garden in an estate, I previously had a briggs and stratton/castlegarden push lawnmower, it was perfect, unfortunately I learned too late how to maintain it. Serviced it, got it running great, but the deck was rusted through by that stage. I dismantled it and was going to patch the hole with fiberglass and resin... but it's just too big of a job for me. So would like to start again.

I am looking for a petrol mower that will last if I service it correctly and (this time) clean out the deck at least between seasons.

I don't need self propelled, garden is small and it is an additional faff that can go wrong.

Do I strictly need a petrol one? the grass can be quite long for the first cut of the season, will electric ones have the power? will they last?

I was recommended a weibang a while back,

This one is as far as my budget would go, (EUR: 360) would it be serviceable?

I almost bought this on an impulse at the weekend (it was on sale for EUR: 199)

is it an utter piece of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

@deezell (or anyone else who might have an answer), looking for a bit of help getting service parts - fuel and oil filters, etc for my Stihl rt5112z ride-on. It's the model with the Stihl engine rather than the Briggs&Stratton engine which used to be in these. I've had a look online but no luck and too many results coming up about the mower itself but no mention of parts on any website selling the machine it seems. The company I bought it from (which is based a long distance from me) does have a service kit on their website but it's for the rt5112z with the B&S engine not the Stihl engine. I'm presuming the service parts would be different sized for the different engines?

Edit to add: I've emailed the company couple of days ago but yet to hear back.

Any help greatly appreciated as ever.

If your fuel filter is just an inline one, these are generic and easily obtained from any mower shop or online, generally onec size fits all, but measure the spigot diameters either side. Usually your mower is supplied with a a extra handbook for the engine, where the air and oil filters are listed by part number. Googling these will show up brand name replacements as well as generics. The engine id plate should have the engine name and series number from which you can trace online data to get the filter part no. What is written on the existing filter itself? They're generally standard screw on format with a common diameter used in a millions if different engines. The only variable is the depth, which you can measure, and if the filter has a buiit pressure relief which is common in small mower engines.

A quick look a the spec says the engine is a Stihl EVC 7000, the manual for this iists the air filter and spark plug part nos , but not the fuel and oil filters. Stihl are a bit like that about part nos, but I think its 0004 020 9602 for the oil filter.

The engine is a kawasaki afaik, a bit of digging will identify these, or just read whatever is printed on and do a search.

Post edited by deezell on

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Thanks Deezell, I'll follow that advice and report back in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Electric and Petrol lawnmowers in Lidl tomorrow, tbh for €100 I think Im going to take a punt on the electric one:

Petrol:

Any thoughts on them? Im turning my large back garden into a wildflower meadow hopefully so not needed there, just a moderate sized suburban front garden if things go well, my shed is down in a hole requiring me to carry my current knackered petrol up steep steps every time so the electric would be nice for that alone...

Cant decide if the petrol would be safer though, no way Im cutting the back garden with the electric if my meadow plan fails and it all goes to grass...

Are Lidl lawnmowers considered okay for light use or have they been bad down the years?

Petrol one is fine. I abuse them and they do me about 4 years hard work before I take them to the tip. Often I leave them out in the rain :-( With care one should last much much longer.

The electric one is not cordless, you've to drag a mains lead behind you, (or in the place you're about to mow, looking at the picture). You'll cut the lead sooner or later. It's also only a foot wide cut, so for tiny areas. Your man in the picture is a 4 foot nothing model who makes the mower look huge....

Thanks I think Ill take a punt on that so, stupid question but I dont have a clue, this is just normal petrol from the forecourt yeah? no mixing it in the right ratio with 2 stroke oil and all that?

Thanks yeah I probably would end up cutting it if I bought it, are battery powered lawnmowers for actual medium sized lawns not little grass patches a thing yet?

Plenty of small battery mowers, starting in the region of €200 with a battery and charger (many are advertised 'bare', without the latter assuming you might have other battery power tools.) This Einhel 12" claims to cut 150 m² on a charge, which is a decent size square.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/einhell-ge-cm-18-30-li-18v-1-x-3-0ah-li-ion-power-x-change-brushless-cordless-30cm-lawn-mower/986fc

Takes ordinary petrol but like a car it needs engine oil so you will need to buy a liter bottle of SAE 30 oil but other oils are OK.

Perfic. Don't overfill. Use the dipstick on the filler cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all.

Anyone up for a challenge. Below is the underneath of my B&S ProLawn 51cm lawnmower from Woodies 10 years ago. It’s been through the wars and owes me nothing.

It’s self propelled but I didn’t get the drive belt cover that I should’ve. They don’t sell this model anymore but they do sell covers.

Wonder if anyone would help me select which one I should purchase (knowing of course that none might fit). Thanks all.

http://tinyurl.com/5bd9jxkp

Advertisement