Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callans kicks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You won't see anything like The Savage Eye back again in case it offends the pink haired pronouns brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

McSavage himself is a troubled individual, RTE probably see him as a loose cannon

Easier put Amy Huberman in something

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Has McSavage done something I don't know about ?

I don't remember anything that would offend the pink haired pronoun brigade and infact it it was said brigade seemed to be the biggest fan base among people I know

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

If Callan was able/allowed to do a full show on the absolute state of RTE (or even have a proper go at them) he'd be brilliant at it. God knows, there's enough material. He gets the odd tiny dig in - but that's about all that's allowed by RTE.

If he ever fell out with them, he'd shred them.

Here's a little skit for ya:

Toilet roll sales man to RTE buyer: Well, did you like those samples I sent over?

Buyer: Yes, they were fantastic. Very gentle on the hole.

Great. So, I can do a special for you at .40c a unit.

Okay, I'll set up a meeting for you with Niall Kiely Management. That's where we get our rolls from.

Brilliant thanks a lot.

RTE buyer: Hi Niall, did you get those toilet rolls off that guy I sent up.

Niall: Yes, I've a few pallets of them here. They're 1.95 ea. That okay?

Sure, send them all down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Think the only 1 he upset was Joe Duffy who didnt like the sketchs that werent far off the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

A bit hit & miss. The GAA shtick could really go. Impressions of Micheal O'M were old hat 25 years ago. Why doesn't he try impersonating Ger Canning- now that would be a challenge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

His impression of calm Tommy Tiernan, interviewing wild Tommy Tiernan on the Tommy Tiernan show is sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

It was really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I was spending the night with my parents and they were watching it. One of the worst hours of television I've ever watched. The moderately amusing Burke Family sketch aside, it was wretched.

Callan is a terrible impressionist; they have to put the name up on the screen of who he is attempting to take off. Tired, unfunny, cliched.

Ironically enough, Callan is exactly the same kind of talentless no-mark as Tubridy himself. Stealing a living from RTE.

Hopefully Kielty has put the foot down and said he doesn't want Callan appearing so he can do Marty Morrissey impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

I love comedy but Oliver Callan is really incredibly bad. He doesn’t sound anything like his impersonations and the jokes aren’t funny at all. It’s sub-community theatre stuff, where the other characters have to say something like “Bertie Ahern what are you doing here” so the people watching know who they’re taking the piss out of.

The Ryan Tubridy puppet didn’t even look like him. Desperate stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Coupla smiles in a few places but overall terrible, the Mescal skits were cringe inducing and far too many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Francis Brennan rating Irish male actors was the sort of terrible and borderline offensive "he lines out for the other team don't ya know" stuff that you'd have hoped died out in the 70's. It's no better than Mrs Brown's Boys tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Thought it was quite funny. The Burke stuff and tubridy puppet and impression was spot on. Anyone saying that was a bad impression I don’t really get.

A couple of good sketches buried in there.

They could drop some of the fake D4 accent stuff. Who were the two blond ones supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Going to go against the grain here and thought it was alright. Wasn't that gone on the Burke's sketch as I've long thought that has had media coverage much outsized relative to its importance.

Was fairly cutting on Tubs and McEntee, most other political and public figures got off very lightly (Burkes aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Doing a full hour is pushing the format and it wasn't his best work, so I agree it was pretty unfunny, but he is a talented impressionist to say otherwise is odd

I have no problem telling who is who on his radio slots, I think the naming was to give a news vibe

He is also decent on the radio in straight mode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought the Burke sketch was very amusing. Some of the other sketches had bits that were funny. I think the writing varies in it. Some good, some bad. The impressions are entertaining - Callan, particularly, is quite a good mimic. He does a good over the top lampooning of his subjects.

The throwaway line when his Helen mcentee was walking the north inner city streets ; “were the pigeons always that big?” also tickled me.

Vogue Williams and her co host on their podcast. The women in your life from their 20s-50s know who it is.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Danny healy ray

hello lads I'm glade that lad stayed away from my crowd he can go after Leo and his" airy fairy "ideas instead ..

He does a great Danny and Michael you 2 just weren't relevant this year

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It works on the radio

maybe he should leave it at that

The radio show suffers the same issues and he was on TV before

Doing an impression is a trick and if you do the same trick over and over..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭patob

Not a bad effort but weaker than previous years. Thought the Tubs Muppet worked well, especially the motley contributions at the tribunal scene. Looks like there only budget for 1 Muppet so Simon H escapes this year ;).

The Maura Derrane and Joanne McNally characters also decent.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Threads merged

Advertisement