Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

There have been additional flights next summer from ORK loaded on the app/website (eg. Tenerife showing x2 weekly from mid June or an additional AGP Sunday flight) but all showing as sold out with the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know any more about these?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think a lot of attention here focuses on what routes Irish people would like when in reality its the US locations that'll drive the traffic for anything outside of NYC, BOS & ORD.

I've no doubt EI will deploy the XLRs in places like BNA which are somewhat underserved to Europe given the size of it & act as a higher tier PLAY/Icelandair in getting pax to/from continental Europe via DUB.

I do about 8-10 RTs/year from North America to Ireland and the thing that sticks out to me (as I've said above) is that T2 CBP is way too small for what its handling in the 9a-1p bank of departures. Its to the point where I actually now prefer to connect to BOS/JFK and go to SNN from there from the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

That's a really expensive shelf (which could be done with a basket on a trolley/countertop in the galley)... The floor room would house 3 economy seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

If those numbers are true and a high percentage of those numbers are EI connections via LAX, SFO and SEA is it possible EI is reluctant to launch LAS as it could effect the numbers on those flights ? Thats one of the main reasons I can think off that it hasn't been launched yet, second reason is slots at LAS possibly.

I heard of talk of building a second airport just outside Vegas in the coming years as LAS is becoming busier each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

God knows... sure you could apply that argument to the other European airports that service vegas AND those other destinations. We hear there is not enough freight etc, oh and that is different from Manchester or Copenhagen how exactly? Or London... look ultimately only a handful in iag know the reason, my best guess is their hyper conservatism... connecting is beyond painful. Id fly there three times as much if no connection, ill also pay a fifty percent premium to do so... any time they announce new us routes, guess where the comments want a route launched too ? And no its not a dull as dishwater backwater, its the entertainment , gambling and conference capital of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It’s an overpriced kip if you asked me. Was glad to get out of the place.

There is a reason it hasn’t been launched yet. It may one day. Until then you have a million opportunities to fly there with one change which isn’t that bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

What other European cities exactly? There are actually very few in the grand scheme of things.

London Heathrow - BA & VS - Year round

London Gatwick - BA - Seasonal

Manchester - VS - Seasonal

Amsterdam - KL - Year round

Frankfurt - DE & 4Y - Seasonal & Year round

Zurich - WK - Seasonal

I have no skin in this game, I’d actually quite like to see Aer Lingus add another west coast destination but that list is hardly a ringing endorsement is it. Demand is clearly very seasonal, even from some of Europe’s largest cities and even then, it’s served by low cost/leisure subsidiaries like Discover, Condor and Edelweiss and at relatively low frequencies.

No direct service to Paris, Madrid, Copenhagen, Rome, Munich etc.

It doesn’t look like a goldmine to me.

Yeah I have to admit last time around I found it much more expensive than when I was there years beforehand. Resort fees can really add to it as well unfortunately. $39 per night in an MGM owned hotel. Exchange rate only adds to it as well.

A flight change in LA or SF is fine, especially SFO with UA connection. Not sure how I'd feel changing in NY or BOS then another 4 hour flight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The cost of the place has gone through roof for sure. You need to know where to go. My mate got cocktail at pool party 57 usd excluding tip. 500 a night to stay in a 3 star off strip property, e50 usd weekdays...

I was there in 2019 and there was one dollar bottled beers in a bar, a minute off the strip on foot ..

Anyone know what the loads in the 3 JFK flight have been the past week or so ? Would it be something that we could see permanently when the XLRs arrive ?

• Advertisement

Day time JFK would be interesting, if a 3rd gets added that'd be what I could see.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MOD POST

Warning issued for multiple posts regarding Vegas, thus ignoring the standing rule, AND my specific warning yesterday.

Forum bans will be the next step

MOD POST

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think part of the issue with Navadia is weak inbound traffic. While its popular it might prove a bit of a flop like Miami.

I believe it's the pharmaceutical cargo that helps keep Miami afloat ?

It's a place I'd like to see but someone told me before that once you go outside of Miami beach it's a kip.

It'll be interesting to see if EIL and EIK are still predominantly kept on that route once they get their cabin refits.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Miami is certainly not a flop.. it has performed very well since it returned after Covid and is mostly on the -300 now

Or even push the first flight back to around 6am for a 9am arrival have one midday and the last one for around 4-5pm as already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

They could time it better for some Caribbean connections though. The late in, late out timings when it was first launched were better; now it’s a bit too early to leave Miami for the islands that are served by AA flights that do a day trip from/to MIA. You used to have to do a night stop one way, currently it’s both ways for a few popular islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Incidentally MIA and SFO very popular with crews, you will always find the senior guys bidding on those trips. Most if not all are a 2 night stop with 4 days off at the other end.

On a side note, it is funny to see someone post about ORK and it basically gets ignored. Its like ORK is that cousin that is not talked about in the family but when you have to its like Aw Bless! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Let’s face it, Cork is hardly the most interesting part of the network or gets any notable fleet movements. It’s consistent but uneventful.

So far all we’ve heard for Cork next summer is a few frequency increases on the typical sun destinations. I’m sure a new route announcement would spark more of a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MIA is a very senior bid yeah but SFO not so much, it’s a 1 nighter with the exception of a few 2 night trips between Jan and Mar! It’s just the 3 days off cabin crew get after a west coast tho, and 2/3 for east coast and an extra day for flight crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

In terms of route launches I wouldn't consider it overly successful. Yes its probably profitable etc but cant see it matching the targets they would have expected when deciding to launch it. I accept the pandemic and other carriers have had issues with MIA also.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

Miami is a significant AA hub. Lots of opportunity for onward connections and feeds to/from central & South America if they get their act together.

The glacial pace of EI’s ‘alignment’ with AA through the Atlantic JV and (ideally) oneworld cannot have helped to optimise the route for EI to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Not sure why it is “funny”. Cork airport has approx 1/10 of the passenger numbers of Dublin airport so you’d expect one tenth of the interest. Still, there are half a million people in Co Cork and some of us are boards users. There is a very active thread on Cork Airport developments for those who are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Long may Cork continue and prosper, hopefully with many more services but a sense of realism is needed. It doesn't feed the EI TA network directly, there are three airports in Munster with SNN having TAs and it's runway is permanently limited for expansion due to being built on top of a hill.

There's a couple of EI TATL crew members that pop up on my ticktok every now and again and do look to be having a ball on their days off, especially if they bring a family member or friend. The most recent one I seen was a cabin crew member with her aul fella in Times Square enjoying themselves. Think another one a few weeks back from someone else was jogging up to the Golden Gate Bridge and another time around Central Park plus other stuff....

Also have a sort of distant family member in EI cabin crew who does bring his brothers, sister and girlfriend away (at different times) when they had a couple of days rest whenever it was he went. I believe NY and Orlando were the favourites for his younger siblings unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree with this. After all it is the airlines fleet/discussion thread after all so no reason why not to ask the question. I know I'm not the only user on this thread that uses Cork and is active on the Cork airport thread. I hate the dismal of Cork/Shannon when they are mentioned.

And to answer the question the Cork summer schedule is due to be announced Jan. Hopefully early January

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Any more news on the 787, or was it a load of rumours.

Cork should try get PLAY or Icelandair in tbh.

On topic: I can't see anything other than an A339 in terms of widebody orders. It makes too much sense. CIT, ALC and Avolon have almost 100 ordered between them, not sure how many are placed but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for someone in Shamrock House to swing down by Ballsbridge and hash something out. Probably get decent publicity out it 'Irish' company doing a deal with 'Irish' company.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Under serious consideration. Probably more likely that we see the 787 over the A330neo at this point. But it's all still up in the air, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

I think a decision will be based a lot on future orders within IAG. If BA and Iberia continue to take 787/A350 it’s hard to see EI getting A330neo

Advertisement