Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem selling nearly new MG4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you strike me as someone who didn’t get a Covid vaccine, believes the government are spying on you and by saying it’s a peaceful protest while torching a car , that it is in fact a peaceful protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭joe1303l

My reasoning to suggest Graham Walker is that he always seems to have a stock of fresh Teslas. He may be willing to take in the MG4 against one or move it on to another trader. Cost to change might work for the OP and would save the grief of a private sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You are going to take a serious hair cut on that MG, especially when 23 becomes 24. I'd tend to agree with another poster though who said shift it if you hate it. I considered MG because of price. No delivery estimate available in early 2022. Ordered Leaf 40 instead on a good deal. Nissan dropped the ball on delivery, finance and price. Ordered a Model 3 and had it within weeks. Love it.

What EV do you own?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Problem with a completely made up, false post like this is that people read it or see it and then think it’s true because it’s similar to some of the other falsehoods put out there recently.

all he needs to do now is create a WhatsApp voice note to make it completely credible

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

I am not here to annoy people about EVs, the question was asked about resale values and I just was passing on what I know. Look at the cheaper prices of second hand electric cars on done deal, imagine what the dealers paid the customer.

I don't own one, at my work we were all upgrading this year and we looked at the Audis and tesla. My problem was the warranty offered on the battery was vague. Promised everything but when I requested in writing the terms of the battery warranty so i could see was it for complete failure only or if the capacity percentage dropped below a specified threshold, for example 60 percent, during the warranty period. Was there any conditions and exclusions. I wanted this directly from the dealers.

Never got it so we never bought electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You mustn't have looked very hard, took me all of 15seconds to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

Spot on - a full ev Leon would be perfect. I loved all my leons from 2001 to the newest model. I left it for a cupra born. I've had zero issues with my Born and it ticks all boxes EXCEPT I prefer the look of the Leon. Can't have it all I suppose! I'll have to cope with the looks for a long while yet it seems 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

To the OP, maybe don't mention the car is a dog in your advert! 😉

As I said in my post, I wanted it directly from the dealer in writing. Never got it from any dealer.

For clarity Can you link the website you got that info from please.

• Advertisement

tesla.com Where else would you think?!

https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/support/vehicle-warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Poppycock.

Every manufacturer clearly states the warranty for their batteries, including the battery retention threshold. Most, if not all come with an 8 year warranty at this stage. 8 years and you'll still have at least 3/4 of the original capacity remaining. Anything that anyone else says to you about EVs and their batteries should be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hard to take the inability to look up basic information and posting fubar seriously.

Lots of uncertainty in the market at the moment. Both with EVs and ICE. You can see it in whats happening in the UK market.

I suggest you look at their full terms and conditions, the words reconditioned battery is used alot. The reason is I would email them queries and they did not want anything like that in writing.

All very vague.

If you read it, then it's already in writing.

Sounds neither you or dealer had any interest in the other, and created a situation where both could drop the other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you email the brands about the petrol/diesel cars you bought instead? What did they put in writing about engine failure, EGR failure etc?

I figured you were not an EV owner, or one with first hand EV knowledge. If you posted credible accounts, or even your own experience of dealing with the EV world, you might get some traction and might even make a contribution worth the effort of reading.

You mention a big car dealership in Munster who won't touch second hand EVs. Why not name them and give some first hand examples?

You mention the reason being they have serious problems with batteries. What problems? What brands? And Why would they then sell new EVs to their loyal customers if they know there are "serious problems with the batteries"?

Finally, it's very easy to find battery and other warranty details on any brand/make. Sometimes you just need to look.

I know a few chaps down the pub too who have an opinion on everything based on fairy dust and magic juice. The language and tone of your post is the opposite of what you claim in the first line of your reply to me. Worse again is that those new to EV research who have heard similar bar stool nonsense will actually believe some of what you posted. To coin a trump term, it's all "fake news" you've posted. Please educate yourself if you are not in fact just a troll.

Stay Free

Sounds like the dealer ghosted him. Both happier for it.

That said from years of experience I just expect dealers to be abysmal regardless of EV or ICE. I don't see any conspiracy in it, just ineptitude, its systemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Poor attempt at trolling @naughtyboy and weak backtracking for dessert.

Come back in 2025 for another festive go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

With the uncertain pricing of evs at the minute, it's a fact that nobody really wants to take any of them as trade in unless they take them at a price that they cannot lose.

The trade were aware of the vw price drops well before they happened and so ID3 / 4 trade ins were avoided like the plague.

Still alot of uncertainty around so trade in prices will be weak on everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d agree with this too. Even I’m put off buying used at the moment because I don’t know how much more prices will drop in the coming months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Tesla.com..... the very last place I'd have thought to look for information on Tesla's offerings 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Brian_dub_

I would have taken an EV Leon all day long, but I just can’t handle the look of the born…it’s just…not for me! The rear styling of the current Leon is amazing, well the trim level that has the full led light bar which they got rid of! Apparently seat brand is being entirely replaced by cupra (?) but they’ll have to do something to their styling because the formentor and born are just a tad too out there for most people.

Same is happening in the UK with ICE cars. I assume it will happen here too.

I had to replace a car at short notice recently I decided to buy something cheaper, just felt the new stuff was ridiculously over priced. Sweet spot seemed to be 3-5yrs old.

But it's changing almost weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Some garages just aren't comfortable or experienced enough with the software updates needed in modern cars. They really just need one competent person.

You could go to another MG dealer, you don't have to go to where you got it, find one that is confident in what they are saying.

I know there is not a huge amount of MG dealers to choose from around the place.

They weren't competent with old cars either.... In many cases....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m hoping to buy EV secondhand in next 6 months, preferably early 2024 but yeah I think there’s still some way to go on prices further reducing- it’s funny, COVID seems like a distant memory but high EV prices and low supply seems like yesterday but things have moved on at pace - greater selection, and supply issues mainly sorted have certainly eased pressure on prices- I guess we have the pioneers who purchased in and around 2020 to thank for that but they’re the ones suffering a bit now

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I don’t think naughtyboy is trolling. I’ve heard the same about that large Munster motor group, salesmen were told NO electric cars to be taken as trade ins, salesmen were told not to even give lowball offers for trade ins, just to send the EV owner on his way.

And I got this from someone who knows, as they work there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

It wouldn’t surprise me as prices are changing so quickly. I’d say it is true. But the poster was claiming they wouldn’t take them as trade ins because they are having serious problems with the batteries and wouldn’t give warranty on them. We all know this is untrue and EV’s are not failing in high numbers. And most EV’s are still under manufacturers warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Kia wouldn't give me a value on my Born when I dropped in for a look at an ev6, and BMW wouldn't when I enquired about an i4. Just no interest.

I wasn't really a serious buyer of either at the time, just looking around for 2024.

I think everything will be dragged down by VW in the next 3 to 6 months, just a matter of time.

Don't see much in the 50k+ range selling in 2024. There will have to be loads in the 20s, small cars, new brands looking for market share, in the 30s to replace the focus and golf buyers and low to mid 40s for nearly everything else

Premium brands to remain premium at 50k+, everyone else forget about it

Early adopters have bought and are being priced out of buying again in many cases, now have to cater for the mainstream believers and the non believers will only buy when they have to.

Might be true they don't want trade in because they are carrying too much stock. But that's not what he claimed. Also at least in the UK that's also true of ICE cars at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

As other have said so would wash and clean the car really well and take loads of photos. Then get on the phone and contact every MG dealer in the country and see what they will offer you, ultimately a year old car should be worth strong money to a main dealer.

Only if there was a shortage of stock. There isn't.

Yeah fair point - but maybe not all dealers have stock? I’d imagine v few have been traded second hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's not that MG don't want the stock but they won't sign a cheque for 28k without you buying a new car from them at the same time.

The MG4 is walking out the door at the moment and there is no shortage of supply.

Unless you wanted to trade up to the MGZS then you are going to have to sell private or take a massive hit.

Main dealers buy cars all the time - obviously they want to sell new cars but if they can make money buying second hands they will do it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was wondering that myself. Fair enough if you only want to spend €25-27k, an EV econobox from China like a base MG4 or BYD Dolphin is a decent buy (my first EV was also an econobox in that price range, and a very good one at that, I am not knocking econoboxes here). But it looks like the OP spent about €37k? Only a few grand short of a Tesla Model 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Patser

It is now, but at the time the initial MG4 orders and deliveries were being taken, Elon hadn't done the whole '€10,000 off' thing - so the Model 3 was still above €50k price range.

And I think, without bringing this thread into the EV depreciation thing, that's been the biggest shake up in EV prices - Tesla to a lot of people ARE electric car standard, and the €10k reduction at start of the year blew a lot of the previous price expectations out of whack - the previous levels which seemed to be €30,000 ish = Peugeot, Corsa - €40,000 ish = VW iD3, Born, Leaf - €50,000 ish - Model 3, Ioniq 5, iD4 all went out the window. MG themselves help shake it up by bringing in the iD3 sized MG4 below €30,000 but for most people having the model 3 now around €40,000 and less 2nd hand has driven all other EV values down dramtically - on the worst affected imo are the VWiD3 and Born. The MG4 will suffer a bit as still always will be seen as 'cheap' iD3 but the iD3 and Born are now priced at same level as a new Model 3 and cannot compete (I'm also amazed that the iD4 seems so popular with the Model Y sitting there)

The other big losers have been Stellantis, Ora, Honda, Mazda, Ford and Jaguar - all of which have seen their EV sales crippled by being unable to compete, and having very poor options. Honda e is gone, can;t remeber seeing a Mazda MX30, Ford Mach-e, Jaguar I pace down to about 80 sales....

So my simple argument is - Tesla is in peoples' minds the benchmark, they cut prices dramatically and suddenly and it's still ripppling down. MG are caught up in it a bit, but actually in comparison to others are well placed to ride out storm a bit - don't care what OP says I like my MG4, its a great drive - but other marques are facing wipe out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭crl84

If they're selling brand new models for 35k, as quick as they can get them into the country, then they're not going to be offering OP 30k for theirs, and trying to turn that around for a profit. And that's before you find someone who will pay just a few grand less for a used car, when they could pay 3k more for a brand new one.

Don't think OP said what they were offered by the dealers, but a standard first year 20% depreciation would make it around 28k, so I assume the dealer offered low-mid 20s if they were bothered enough to take it, which seems to be far lower than OP wants.

If they are in demand used and 35k new, a dealer would get 32k at best- they might go to 28k to buy one - assuming it has no dents or scraps or bald tyres etc

Scrap my last comment - ex demo 64kW under £20k in UK now. Irish dealer could buy this ex vat and have landed here for under €25k so given that option it would be tricky for them to offer more than that for an Irish one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Repo101

He's not trolling. Some dealers are expecting more price drops and the depreciation on 2nd hand EVs has been far higher than initially expected.

EVs will continue to be high risk for dealers until there is some price stability. Due to a lack of supply the market has been skewed but with supply increasing it will probably take a cycle of at least another 3 years before we have price stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Iwantone

Great post on the state of the car industry. Jaguar must be in the crosshairs. Tesla really have created problems for a lot of brands, the only legacy outfit with a credible play seems to be Volvo. VW are getting hammered and are going to need to radically restructure.

Back to OPs conundrum, keep the car, make peace with it. They’re good cars and your problems really are minor. The Model 3 is not without its issues, my driver seat rocked. Service said within spec. Drove me mad.

I’ve had a few EVs now including eGolf, Audi Etron, Tesla S, Y & 3, they’ve all been exceptional and the only thing that put Tesla ahead of the rest was access to Superchargers. Even that benefit is being eroded by Tesla opening up the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Patser - "It is now, but at the time the initial MG4 orders and deliveries were being taken, Elon hadn't done the whole '€10,000 off' thing - so the Model 3 was still above €50k price range."

I am not sure you got your timing right. I'm pretty sure the MG4 was initially for sale / orderable in late 2022 at just €27k, which was good value. Back then and even still now. Any upgrades / longer ranges were always a mistake from a value for money / depreciation point of view, pretty sure some of us said that at the time. Also, Tesla put the second Model Y price drop through on January 14th 2023 (down to €45 point something thousand on the road and at that about the same price as a Model 3). Surely that was before most MG4s were delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Patser

Collected mine January 7th, and as even you day people had deposits down from October - with collection date from start of January. Since Tesla gave no warning about the drop, people like me had their car a week, others would have had cars just about due for collection so would have had to make almost instant decidion to cancel order and join Tesla queue, or collect car that you'd already set on.

Regards €27K price, that's true and IMO what has kept MG from worst of hit, they can still undersell a lot of competiton - but my comment was in reference to your comment about OP (and myself) paying €37k for the Exclusive - suddenly being only a 'couple' of thousand less than a M3 - in reality closer to 5 or 6k less. Given that the M3 is undoubtably a better car than MG4, that's probably hurt the OP, but for me I still prefer the MG4 look and especially colour, as well as having the extra €6k in pocket.

And imagine how the OP would have felt if (like a few at the time) you'd just collected you €51K Tesla Model 3, and a week later it's available at €41/42K new - now there's a hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think the 10k difference was still there At delivery for the first batch but not when the OP got theirs. They seem to have picked it up this summer??

At launch the MG4 went from €27,500 at entry to €34,500 for the full loaded. That was September 22 so at that point you had a €15kish jump from a fully loaded MG4 to the bog standard model 3 which was huge.

According to the Times, The model 3 dropped in January 23 to €45 for the entry level. As that drop got them the 5k grant and dropped the difference to 10ish.

It gets closer after that as MG pushed their prices up to closer to €38 and Tesla have come way down to closer to €41.

So people that had been unable to make the 15k jump in 22, still couldn't make the 10k jump at the start of 23, but now it's mad not to take the model 3.

But in saying that I've seen a lot of people considering the MG4 as their favourite EV to drive. I think the fully charged guy uses his all the time.

And imagine how the OP would have felt if (like a few at the time) you'd just collected you €51K Tesla Model 3, and a week later it's available at €41/42K new - now there's a hit

Maybe not as bad as you might think. I picked up my M3 in September 2022, so the price drop was soon after. Price was just over 54k.

The price drop was a minor kick in the face, because I figured I was willing to pay what I paid and the price drop would just make it cheaper to upgrade the Leaf I still own when that time comes.

More importantly, I am very happy with the car. It would hurt if I wanted to sell the car and buy the one I really wanted, which seems to be the case of the OP.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭OEP

@Brian_dub_ I sent you a PM. I could be interested in purchasing if you still want to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ev fan

Similar thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. Bought MG4 mid 2023 Excite long range. He has 2 days of work with long distance trips from Co Sligo to North of Donegal. Long story short- couldn't charge at work and fast chargers around Sligo/Donegal are very few and queueing for chargers became unworkable. Going back to MG dealer- they would only give him eur 22k. He went to the main Toyota dealer. Again cutting to the chase through the dealer's network they managed to get I think 26k for the MG4 and then bought a new Corolla. Numbers subject to confirmation but looks like he lost 9k on the MG4 and paid I'm guessing around 38k for the Corolla. Allowing for 20% depreciation it looks like he might have lost only an extra 2k on the trade. Of course the Corolla is a smaller car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement