Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't believe the new spaces are any smaller than the old ones. Then again I always park at the far end of the aisles furthest from the door where there's always loads of empty spaces. Never had to worry about someone parking next to me whether it's the main entrance aisle or M&S side.

I don't bother tapping on the way out or using a machine at the doors, set up auto payments on their website and be done with it.

Old spaces were crap because you had to drive in. Reversing into spaces is better for visibility and easier to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭SteM

How does the auto payment system work when you get free parking at the cinema do you know? In the cinema they give you a card to scan at the exit, does that cancel the auto payment process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,094 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I went to the cinema a few months ago and got one of the vouchers for free parking I went to one of the machines inside the main door near Penny's and typed in my reg came to 7.50 I then scanned the barcode on the ticket I was given by cinema staff if I recall I didn't see any message to say paid so bought the ticket with me just in case and drove up to the barriers and it lifted automatically.

I also hear Tesco are going to put barriers up similar to the ones in Tesco Adamstown so does using it as an free carpark will need to purchase something in Tesco to get the ticket to validate their parking ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭rgfuller

You have to ask for the 'parking account' card which gives you a voucher code to add to your auto-payment account before you leave the car park - this appears as a VUE cinema discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

After being in Blanchardstown a few times recently, I'd happily pay for liffey valley parking than have to wait 20 minutes to get in or out of Blanchardstown. The layout of blanch is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ciarse

After reading some of these posts, it's clear that peoples lives are affected in different ways; e.g

- If ur elderly and maybe not tech savvy, this seems to be a complete hassle.

- Lot of folks here seem to be nonplussed and just 'tab n' go'.

- Some folks have compared with Blanch/Tallaght, some positive and some negative.

- The size of the spaces seems to be smaller, not great for SUV, etc owners.

- There seems to be a lot of confusion over charges or non charges.

In summary everyone has their opinion and thresholds of acceptance. IMO, this is a disgrace to have to pay for the privilege of shopping at LV. It is purely GREED, to have this 'policy' implemented, so much so, even the staff are charged. The thing is most of the shops in LV, have online shopping. I think we should ALL show our rejection of their greed by shopping online and helping older folks to do so too. Being Devils Advocate - If parking at LV was being abused prior to this and since the new barriers are installed... Then, each shop in LV should/could validate customer parking once they make a purchase over €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Interestingly, I haven't seen the LV carparks as busy as they have been over Christmas for a long long time. Even the far end of the M&S carpark was full the other day.

Still though, what really grates is the 15min policy. 30mins would have been perfect. It would still attract "casual" shoppers who want to buy one or two items. Even with 15mins, I can just about park in the purple carpark, run into M&S, grab the few items I know exactly that I need, pay and get back to the car and out the barrier in less than 15mins but it's bloody tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I'd say most of the cars there this past week were from people who swore blind earlier this year that they'd never shop there again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭This is it

Barrier in and out, reg is taken on the way in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here we are a year later and I have yet to pay for parking there. Until yesterday, I simply parked elsewhere or didn't go in at all. Yesterday I used one of the vouchers from the cinema. My kids go there often enough and they know how to "score" the freebie vouchers and bring them home 😀 They are valid for several months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same here. Free parking at Tesco and the retail parks and anything I've had to buy from the main shopping centre has been small enough for bus/bicycle.

- The size of the spaces seems to be smaller, not great for SUV, etc owners.

Good, we shouldn't be pandering to people who choose to buy vehicles that are too big for our current infrastructure imo. We're not America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

As someone who gets buses at the new hub in the car park at least twice a day, to me the car park looks pretty empty every day. Even right up to the Friday before Christmas, it was sparse enough.

I haven't been inside the centre in over a year. I've never liked it, but would have had lunch there a couple of times a week previously, but friends not willing to go anymore. Aside from anything, it's a horrible layout to navigate safely as a pedestrian since it was redone. I certainly wouldn't like to be doing it with young children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭appledrop

The new coach parking is absolutely ridiculous.

It's all the way up past the Marks & Spencer car park so not safe for bringing a group of school kids through.

No safe walkway through the car park then nearest entrance is food section of M&S. Nighmare for school group.

How the hell is that an improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭MrRigsby

Thats great until someone squeezed into a tight space hits your new car with their SUV door and damages it . If they are charging the spaces should be adequate for the average vehicle. The best selling car here is a Tucson which is an SUV

My wife was saying the Tesco car park was being well policed just before Christmas, I wonder were a lot of people parking there and walking up to the main SC.

It's kind of pointless to say it was jammed coming up to Christmas, when you'd expect it to be busy, without seeing how it has been effected for the rest of the year. Anecdotely, my wife and her friends used to meet there on Saturday or Sunday mornings for coffee and to wander around for a few hours shopping but that has been cut way back. Now they usually just meet for coffee in some other place that has free parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The best selling car here is a Tucson which is an SUV

...therefore a Tucson is not average! Someone who buys a larger sized vehicle knows that it is larger sized but surely they already know that the world isn't revolving around them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was there mid-day the Monday before Christmas and it wasn't very busy, back of M&S was a ghost town as always, meanwhile there was a queue of cars waiting to turn into Smyth's at Fonthill so I parked at Aldi and walked over...

People are extremely lazy. Although there's a 50/50 chance some prick will park next to me when surrounded by 50 empty spaces at the very, very back of the car park.

Tesco have plans to put barriers up for their carpark where you will need to spend a minimum of €20 instore for your free parking. Or pay the hourly rate.

The best selling car for several years running isn’t average???? If you say so . You do realise most manufacturers have dropped traditional 3 box saloons (mondeo and Avensis for example) from their ranges in favour of SUV models and are dropping smaller cars altogether (the fiesta is also gone ) due to the smaller profit margins on them and the need to reduce use of ICE in favour of EV technology . The size of cars overall has increased mainly due safety requirements . Car park owners need to move with the times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Most SUVs have approx the same footprint as 'normal' cars anyway. The Tucson seems to be about 3cm wider than an Octavia which is not much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

If the owners of these larger vehicles need larger parking spaces then they will have to pay the increased parking charges, least they could do is move with the times.

Car parking space sizes are still based on the tiny family cars people had in the 60s and 70s. Cars have grown a lot in size and weight since then for varying reasons, the main one being safety. Spaces should simply be bigger now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the car park owners would be dead set against that; add 10% to the width of each space and you'd reduce the capacity of each car park by 10%.

i guess for paid parking, all they'd have to do is up prices by at least that much.

I don't think anyone happy to pay €2.50 for 3 hours parking would not have paid €2.75 if that was the price they'd set at the start 😂

How much do multi storey car parks cost to build, and how much more efficient are they in terms of land use? I.e. a three storey car park won't have triple the capacity of a flat one occupying the same land. Also, I suspect the throughput of a multi storey is less than of a flat car park? More scope for queues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tallaght hospital car park is ridiculous, the ramps are sized for a Fiat 126. What idiot signed off on that?

Scrap the cap!

A lot of multi story car parks weren’t designed with the significant added weight of EV vehicles in mind and won’t be fit for purpose when EV’s are used by all

only quite old ones (60s or 70s) which haven't been maintained will be at any real risk AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't be so sure - car weight is approaching triple what it was in the 60s and you'll be well in to the safety margins by then.

IIRC i base my opinion on this on a half-remembered BBC article on the topic

• Advertisement

They'll end up looking like this 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The image name suggests it was the cork car park fire, but that's not a car park that has suffered a fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I wonder how that will work for Click and Collect orders where you don't actually enter the store?

Unless they allow a minimum free period. Probably need to be 30 minutes, as sometimes there can be a few cars waiting for click and collect.

It was the level above the level which was on fire.

Yes, jet fuel can melt steel beams...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Don't know if you're familiar with click and collect spot at Tesco Liffey Valley, but it's a delivery van parked in a specific area of the car park. Creating a separate traffic lane just for that sounds a bit extreme. I think a free minimum stay would be more practical.

The Body Shop has closed, was located down at the M&S side of the centre

Wow, was in there with my daughter on sat. No surprise though as that end is dead as door nail.

All of liffey valley was dead last Sat and even on xmas eve morning the numbers were down on previous years

• Advertisement

I think they brought in paid parking at the wrong time unfortunately. If people are starting to watch what they spend then liffey valley need to be enticing people in, not giving them a reason to go somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

We used to go up to LV at least once a month ( from Newbridge ), but stopped when the parking charges came in. I had reason to be in the SC recently at the M&S end. Even the coffee shop in the middle of the floor outside the M&S entrance is gone.

Really sad demise to a once good SC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I am not a car advocate by any means, but it does look like the parking fees have back fired on the centre.

There is a lot of retail choice in the Dublin area and if a centre becomes uncompetitive, it is easy for customers to drive elsewhere.

Getting rid of that coffee shop was a good thing. No need for it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭taratee

Had to go to LV on Saturday morning. Arrived at 11.30. Went to the M&S car park and it was very quiet. Plenty of free space in the other car parks also. The centre was very quiet and I was sad to see that the Body Shop has closed down. All of the shops (Zara, River Island, Next) in that part of the centre were very quiet. The centre must be like a ghost town during the week. Management made a big mistake when the introduced those parking fees.

Numbers do drop after Christmas also but the car park has hit it the shopping centre also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭JVince

Body shop has seen a huge drop in business generally and it has / is closing dozens of stores as leases expire . New owners bought from the previous owners for 80% less than the purchase price in 2017 - which gives you an idea of how bad sales were in the company. New owners also own LLoyd Pharmacy and plan new ranges and a shop in shop version in many Lloyd pharmacies. (Here in Ireland they will be in McCabe pharmacies which is part of Lloyds.

And 11.30 on a Saturday morning at the end of January is quiet everywhere - its possibly the quietest Saturday of the year. Kildare Village was quiet last Saturday too.

Within the retail sector, Liffey Valley is seen as a strong performer and the parking is regarded by retailers as a success despite some misgivings initially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I live local to Liffey Valley. Gone are the days now when I might swing by for a casual look around, maybe pick up something unexpected or some lunch. I now only go there if I absoltely have to. Even once I was in and out in <15 minutes to avoid any parking charge!

In my opinion though, the worst thing about the car park is not the charges (and I'm sure this has been mentioned in the thread) - but it is the new layout! It is bloody awful.

The pathways from car space to centre are mostly non-existent - very high risk of getting creamed, especially kids who may run ahead. The roads around the spaces are very now long winded, so there's a higher risk of getting stuck behind someone waiting for someone else to a exit space - which creates a tailback.

Don't get me started on that CRAP web site. My goodness. Who designed that? It certainly wasn't designed for actual end users.

The older car parking layout and setup was a million times better. Parking at an angle was so handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have no issue with the parking charges, but mother of christ, I wish they'd sort out the access. Absolute pandemonium trying to get in today. They weren't allowing anyone to enter the car parks at the cinema or Starbucks, instead all the traffic was getting funnelled into a single lane at both those roundabouts and forced down to the entrances at Next and Marks & Sparks. It was an absolute shít show. And to add insult to injury, Boots didn't even have either of the two items I went in for in the first place 🙄

I was there last week just dropping someone off.

Got stuck waiting to get back out behind some eejit who was causing problems at the barrier and the queue was all the way back. Pissing rain so no staff member at the barrier to assist. So annoying.

Ended up having to pay for parking when I had never actually parked.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Yeah...I think a lot of customers would tolerate the paid parking if it meant easy access and egress but it's simply not happening here. What is so problematic about this carpark thats not an issue at other paid parking facilities?

• Advertisement
Advertisement