Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

At this stage I thought people had moved on from claiming EV's are any sort of good for the environment.

If people really cared about the environment they would cycle, walk, use public transport etc.

Buying an EV is easy, changing your lifestyle completely is tough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Sure, you could argue that some owners of EV's have bought a vehicle that doesn't suit them - but it's a much lower proportion because those buying EV's tend to look at all the relevant factors before making their decision as it's breaking from the norm. Much easier to buy diesel simply because "it's the done thing".

Past pricing of EVs, and depreciation faced after purchasing at those prices, is now irrelevant if deciding whether to buy a Tesla Model 3, or whatever, today.

Sure, EV manufacturers could cut pricing further. So too could ICE manufacturers. The profit margins, however, can be used to estimate then likelihood of that happening. Tesla, for example, still has reasonable margins so could cut pricing, but not to the extent that they did in 2023.

As a previous poster alluded to - we are likely to see more depreciation on a 241 diesel than a 241 EV over the coming years - and I'm referring to those for which pricing has been cut during 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Have a look at the stats before you make statements about my numbers being valid or invalid. I haven't included hybrids in any diesel or petrol category, I have simply talked about the percentage of BEV's (18.59%) and compared that number to everything else- i.e everything bar full EV's. Hybrids are still cars, so can you explain (logically) why you think they shouldn't be included in 'everything bar BEV's' category?

I've been hearing for years rhetoric that anybody buying a new petrol or diesel is daft and they will have to hold onto it for a lifetime- the reality is that as their sales drop, demand for used petrol and diesels is growing and they are holding their value a lot better than EV's. As diesel sales fall, used diesels (and petrols) are going to continue to see high demand. If EV's continue to see low VRT then the floodgates of cheap used EV's from UK will continue to open and drive down used prices - along with improvements in tech and a likely further reduction in new EV prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I doubt anyone is trading in any car (petrol, diesel or electric) for that now.

That’s exactly how your opinion on EV buyers should be. /End Thread.

• Advertisement

+100

I know of many, family included that just automatically buy diesel. One, a Nissan, constant DPF blockages due to the short city driving.

I understood the reasoning to your post. I guess others didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Just looked at prices for a 2021 Hyundai Ionic 5- Jaypers it’s held its value pretty darned well compared to some other cars of a similar vintage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

That is what I said I was doing (before you called me an angry man and to go away to another forum)…

”normal” cars are still actually holding their value ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No value in them and unlikely to sell at such prices. Only 5no. 2021 cars currently on DD and all advertised by Hyundai Dealers with asking prices of €40K+. You would do well to get €35K for a 58kWh one if selling privately or trading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think it was 2022 before the lower spec models were available. At about €38k they were well priced at the time. Will be interesting to see what they are worth as two year old cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

And that 18% (including me) paid a lot more for an ev than a diesel. People have to be able to afford to buy it. Im assuming a lot couldnt afford hence kept the ICE

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's called it the Osborne effect, when people put off a new purchase to hold out for something better. Tony Soba predicted it would look something like this. (chart is from 3 years ago)

There are some interesting developments in Sodium Ion batteries which should see prices dropping further than they already have. The batteries aren't better than the LFP and NMC variants that are available today, they are just cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

There'll be a select few that will be telling us all that EVs will be hit with depreciation further than ICE yet again in the future as technology advances make battery tech cheaper.

They'll gloss over the fact that EV's, unlike the past, are now competitive against ICE. What new competing ICE vehicle, I wonder, would they suggest is more value than a new Tesla Model 3?

If future EV tech allows further price cuts of any significance, rest assured, ICE will also drop like a rock. We're in a completely different landscape now to that of a few years ago where significant premiums were payable to step into an EV.

the more dystopian view is we will all be driving horrific “appliances” that are largely funded by the vast reserves of the Chinese state until every other manufacturer is bankrupt, and then Atari jaguar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭allinthehead

It's nice to see someone say that. I would add air quality as one of the reasons for my purchase, and the smug self satisfaction of driving powered by yesterday's sunshine.🤣

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They were €39k brand new on the road with metallic paint 2 years ago. If you sold it privately for €35k now, you would have suffered just 10% depreciation over 2 years. An equivalent diesel would have had that much depreciation on day 1 as soon as you drove off the forecourt 😂

@liamog - "There are some interesting developments in Sodium Ion batteries which should see prices dropping further than they already have. The batteries aren't better than the LFP and NMC variants that are available today, they are just cheaper."

Sodium Ion is stalling now that the price of lithium has dropped like a brick this year. The "just cheaper" might not even hold. It can be charged below zero though, which is helpful for ultra low budget applications in vehicles (read: sub €10k plus tax Chinese EVs).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't see Sodium Ion development stalling in the same year as it starts entering the market in any volume. It's has a much lower predicted floor price than current chemistries. I'd predict by 2026 we'll see NMC batteries for high performance, LFP for mid level and Sodium Ion for cheap entry level vehicles.

What remains to be seen is how consumers will treat the same car with a variety of chemistries. If VW were to introduce a new entry level ID.3 with a Sodium Ion battery and reduced power for €32k versus the current list price of €37k would people again see a paper depreciation hit because of the lower cost of entry. There's a substantial part of the market that sees car prices purely as the base price and isn't interested in a making a comparison based on performance or features.

For sure @liamog but that's just what happens in a totally disrupted market. The same car is getting cheaper and cheaper and there are even cheaper new cars from new entrants hitting the market. The other side of the coin is that some giant incumbents might not survive. I predict Toyota will have a very bad time over the next 5-10 years

Cars are not computers though despite what Musk has tried to say. Unless we assume everyone from Karl Benz, to Ferdinand Piech to Richard Parry Jones were con-men cars are mechanical objects that ferry people from a-b. A 1997 Carina and Tesla m3 are primarily the same save for the drivetrain and an iPad on the dash.

It appears it is far easier to build evs than ice cars and the barriers to entry in that market seem lower.

There is no reason why to Toyota with their reserves and knowledge cannot build evs when they want to.

The bigger issue is will Tesla and the Chinese be able to solve the engineering issues Toyota solved in the 80s, or make cars drive like those that chapman or parry jones designed. So far it seems that Tesla can’t maintain a reasonable parts inventory, and the driving experience of most evs is a very numb (if quick) affair.

It may also get to the point quickly where a car is a true appliance like an iPhone is now, and you keep your car until it’s done; with the Detroit updates a thing of the past. Interesting either way.

• Advertisement

@maidhc - "will Tesla and the Chinese be able to solve the engineering issues Toyota solved in the 80s"

What engineering issues are they? 😂

I know Toyota was able to finally solve the engineering issues in the 90s and come up with a petrol hybrid car. 100 years after Porsche had done the same 😂

You have a point, there will hopefully always be Ferraris and Porsches and the most sought after and luxury cars will probably always be mostly German and Italian, but Toyota is none of that and will have to compete heads on with other makers of A to B vehicles: mostly the Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

I'm in the market for an Ev. Budget 25 to 30k. Could stretch a few K. Would be a 2nd family car for majority of journeys that 7 seater not needed for. 25000km per year.

I'm down to a few options but it's so hard to figure out estimated depreciation after 3 years

Counting out leaf and ioniq cause low head and leg room in back. I have tall kids and have to cart thier mates around to football stuff too.

Option 1.) New mg4 30.5k.

Option 2 .) BYD dolphin 31.2k

Option 3.) Used 2020 id3 1st plus with 23000 km and €25k

Options 4.) ex demo 2023 cupra or id3 for approx 33k.

Any opinions on what would be best value and least likely to have high depreciation?

All far too expensive and dead cert depreciation bill to follow. Best bet with your options would be an early ID.3 for about €17-18k

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭byrne249

There's a 231 Cupra for sale in Limerick for 29,950 right now, no mileage allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Seems to be a fair few issues being raise in the ioniq 5 thread…

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

The way prices are falling anyone buying an EV in the next few months should do well. SOH and resultant likely range should be a factor to consider for an older EV- e.g 2020 ID3.- also warranty would be an issue. The difficulty of course will be trying to time your purchase at close to the market bottom. From what I can see 3yr old ID3s for example are still eur 3k or 4k overpriced. If you could manage to bag a low mileage 2023 Born for close to 30k that would be a good deal (although I'm biased being a Born owner). Having an EV as a 2nd car makes great sense. Other than that are there any 2nd hand Hyundai/Kia EVs available which come with longer warranties?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

We have a eGolf as the second car, done over 100k in it so far and it has been perfect. In reality it will be do 90% of the mileage and the big 7 seater is doing the rest. Problem is we really need to swap to a 7 seater now so will have to part with it and no 7 seater electrics available in price range.

My point on this is you don't need to spend huge money on a car, do you really need to spend huge money if a second car and most of the journeys will be short trips. Even weekends away I have taken with me once I know I can use the granny cable the other end, the odd time I have even used the dreaded public system.

I would work out what you will be doing daily and then buy to that. Keep the spare change in your back pocket instead of spending big on a car which is always going to lose money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

As another poster said, to avoid depreciation you could buy an early ID3. The current 3 year price (19k for 1st Edition) gives you a good idea of what a 2023 ID3 would be worth in three years, a Born would be worth a bit less - so your probably looking at 4 to 5k per annum buying new or a 2023 pre reg. In three years I'd expect something like this still to be worth 10k+ so depreciation drops to 3k p.a

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-3-2020/35685359

Buying used and almost out of warranty isn't for everybody though, personally I would try to buy something with 3 year warranty so you don't have to worry about expensive battery or motor replacement - regardless how reliable these cars are, the problem is you have few options bar main dealers if something major goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

just curious, for what reason would a cupra born would be worth a bit less than an ID3?

Advertisement