Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I actually think they did a pretty good job for the first goal.

On field decision was goal, it was checked, there was no available conclusive footage to say it was out, so the on field decision stands. I wish every process could work as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Point me to any spurs fans that were actually talking about the title? Can't find any? Yeah because none of us thought it was happening.

As for people saying we've being found out...we're 5th, having been missing some of our best players for the last 6 weeks, in the first steps of a massive rebuild. Found out how exactly? Our high line isn't exactly a surprise to anyone, so not sure in what way we've been found out.

Today was a bad performance with a massively weakened team (admittedly against a very weakened Brighton team), with everyone bar Vicario playing pretty badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don’t see how you can imply that picture is conclusive evidence the ball was out. His thigh could be obstructing the view of the ball being (just) in. Any part of it only needs to be above any part of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭JRant

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Van de Ven's injury has killed Angeball defending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Is this a ManU or Liverpool fan? The vid has Devils in top corner and Liverpool fancam in bottom corner. Confused by the context every time I see this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yeah, not sure how anyone could moan about VAR in this instance. Without VAR, this is a goal. With VAR, there is no clear evidence showing the ball is out, so VAR can’t change the onfield decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't tell if the quality of the league is good, or its actually poor but more enjoyable than usual because everyone is dropping points. Don't agree with you on Saka though, he's easily good enough to fill the role you're talking about. Unfortunately Arsenal's entire left side has been dysfunctional this season and Gabriel Jesus is possibly the worst finisher in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen anyone post on this forum. Thousands of people put very similar cabling all around their gardens when they install robot mowers. Costs a couple of hundred quid per garden maximum. Even multiply that by ten to allow for a full pitch and it's just a couple of grand, and you think a premier league team can't afford this.

Laughable

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You've replied to what you think is a stupid post by making a far stupider one..good job. Go away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

TV payments are about a hundred million a season alone for a PL team.....whinging about 250k and 4k per game certainly is a silly idea.

There's obviously a degree of salty Gunner in my position, but complaining that a one off fee and potentially a few grand a game is cost prohibitive is pretty stupid.

Teams like Luton who come up maybe once every two decades.....and have to spend money getting their stadia up to PL standards already..... we're talking about a drop in the ocean here. It really isn't the complaint you think it is. Between the massive increase in TV money and parachute payments if they don't stay up, no team is going to go broke because they spent an extra million or two getting up to standard. The huge increase in income from getting to the PL more than counteracts any upgrade costs multiple times over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

4k per game is for a very small number of fixed position cameras. And yes the money is nothing to most teams, but it's a solution for a problem that basically doesn't exist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There were boos on the tv audio, maybe it's fake news, I dunno. Maybe they superimposed the pictures of the empty seats too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Once you lads have the field entirely ringed and the ball microchipped, what is next?

Microchips on every arm so that natural position can always be determined to the millimetre?

Sensors in the jersey that react to a defender grabbing a handful at a corner?

Or should we skip all that and just jump straight to 100% E-sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

It has - so a lot of the criticism for Ange comes from trying to play the same way with incapable players.

But it’s his first year, he’s started incredibly well, fans love him and has few expectations on him right now, so maybe there’s merit in spending time hammering home the style of football he wants to play regardless of who’s available.

The problem is, while he’s doing that teams are also becoming familiar with how to play against Spurs, so it may not be as effective even when his preferred players come back. We haven’t seen how tactically adept Ange is yet because we haven’t really needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

should we skip all that and just jump straight to 100% E-sports?

Nah this is the future

Plenty of people leaving. Even as early as the 75th minute. Was pretty empty by the 95th minute. It was my kids first game, and I spent a fair penny to get there, so I personally don't get the logic in going early.

The walk back to the tube was eerie. It was like a funeral progression. Pure silence and everyone just shuffling along. I was expecting some chanting or even some giving out by the fans, but it was just eerily quiet. Was weird being in a crowd of thousands of people and no one talking at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Keep having to pinch myself with the results we're getting. And to think that a (vocal) minority of West Ham fans were calling for Moyes' head two months ago. Another masterclass from him. With less than 30% possession in games, we've beaten Arsenal (x2), Spurs, Brighton and Chelsea this season. It's not pretty at times, but the players buy into it and we've more points than we've ever had in the Premier League at the halfway point (beating Moyes' own record from a few years ago). West Ham have never had it so good as long as I've been supporting them. As he said when he was appointed in 2019 (and many derided him at the time), winning is what he does.

No issues with VAR yesterday. You can go on about the probability that the ball was out for the first goal but there was no conclusive evidence to that effect. Had the linesman flagged for ball out, the decision wouldn't have been overturned for the same reason.

And Saka, as he usually does, threw himself to the ground and should have been booked. And regardless of the dive, Ogbonna was being dragged by the shorts so it should have been a West Ham free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Maybe we could focus on the actual game instead of sh*te refereeing decisions at that point.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be a huge fan of Moyes, but he's doing a good enough job there. Hell vet a team to that level given backing, towards 5th/6th/7th/8th in the league. He'll do ok against the big sides, because he can sit in a low block and keep it scoreless, maybe snatch a goal. The issues come when the opposition do the same.

His, and West Ham's questionable is, how ambitious do they want to be? West Ham are no longer a small club - with the new (cheap) stadium and the hinterland they are taking in of most of East London as well as the affluent Essex etc, is finishing 7th or 8th success any more, or is it par for the course? In terms of attendance and wages, where are they in the league table? (genuine question, I don't k ow). Are the fans happy to stay at that level, bloodying the big lads noses now and then but reverting to the mean as the season progresses? They did try to upgrade a few years ago, but went back to the safety of Moyes again. They are at a bit of a crossroads, do they stick where they are or twist to try to make the real big time.

On last night, their defending was excellent, really disciplined. As others have said, Arsenal were playing for penalties and diving at every opportunity, but the Hammers stood on their feet and didn't dive into tackles to give the ref a chance to award an easy spot kick.

Well the technology is already fallible so doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looking at city's fixtures they've probably started their winning streak the other day, their next 5 fixtures are all on paper, handy enough wins, only tricky fixture is Newcastle who are in bad form, Sheffield, Newcastle, Burnley, Brentford, Everton their next 5 on the league. Then around mid February they play Chelsea, Bournemouth and United in between their champions league games V Copenhagen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Points gained or lost compared to the same period as last season.

Surprising to me is that Arsenal are down 10 points and Spurs are only up 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think City will click in the 2nd half of the season baring big injuries etc.. We have seen this last season (and before) with City where they had a minor (sometimes very minor) wobble before going on a massive run. There's nothing to suggest this year will be any different.

They have been playing without De Bruyne for a long time now and his service into Haaland is missed. With them back in and if they stay fit you can see City putting up 10/11/12 wins on the bounce.

Liverpool while top at the moment, actually don't look like they have enough in the tank to me. Their business in the summer was good I thought but the team just doesn't look like it is fully there yet. The attack looks disjointed at times. The midfield is unbalanced and as a result, the defence can be got at, especially with the injuries. They do however still have 3 absolute world-class players in Allison, VVD and Salah.

Arsenal never kicked on - they just don't look like they can put up the fight they put up last season. If they had that run this season they'd win it. Partey is a big miss. If they can get him back on the pitch in the 2nd half of the season then who knows.

The title race will be decided by City - if they hit form I don't think the rest will be able to keep pace, it won't really matter what the rest do. If they don't then the door opens up for both Pool and Arsenal. Liverpool have the experience, the players who have been there. Arsenal should have the hunger but don't have Allison, VVD or Salah level players.

Not refuting what you're saying there, West Ham seem to be getting some good results in big games.

Just on your second point about VAR not seeing enough to override the on-field decision, it's worth noting that linesmen are being instructed to allow play proceed even in questionable decisions for offside, so is a similar thing happening for balls going out of play? If so then the on-field decision will always be to allow the goal, rightly or wrongly.

A linesman would not have been calling last nights as the ball out of play, because here is zero chance they would have been able to tell through the sea of players and it would have been complete guesswork

And they're still expected to raise flag once the phase of play is done, so if the assistant had seen it as out he would've called it after

Just feels like arsenal fans being really pissy over a non incident

It was just a question. No need to go on the attack trying to get a reaction. You'd think a mod would know better.

The original point is, that I know that linesmen put their flag up for offside after letting the play continue, but I don't know if they also do the same for a ball they think is out of play. Are we to assume that the linesman thought it wasn't out, or was he unsure and left it to VAR, who then go with the on-field decision. There's a clear process in place for offside, but I am unsure if there's a similar process in place for ball in touch as I've never seen it being applied.

Mod: poster received a warning for this post. Reminder that it is not welcome to suggest other posters are looking for a reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not if it's an umpire standing at the post like in GAA. They'd have seen a perfect view.

Either way, it's a perfectly valid goal for me. Unless someone can definitively prove the ball had gone out of play, the goal should always stand.

Post edited by machiavellianme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ah... Yeah.

The same questions remain about Trent to be honest. His on the ball ability is unquestionable but there's no denying he's below par defensively for a player operating from a defensive position.

Seen him floating more around midfield when in possession. That suits him a lot better and he'll benefit the most when a better quality Defensively minded midfielder is added.

This conversation has been done to death though. Do you move him to midfield to better protect etc..

Wouldn't argue too much with calling him world class if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There's no question of his importance to us though, I'd agree it's right there behind Ali and Salah.

10 goal involvements in all comps and that doesn't even tell the whole story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Even Artera has said it is what it is and it’s time to move on.

Seems fans who don’t support Arsenal are just using it as an excuse to call Arsenal fans pissy over something most have moved on from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Yup, any excuse to put the boot in and give it the "bottlerz lol" nonsense after one loss, best ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not sure where to put this but it looks like Spurs could be in for Gallagher. If true its mad that Chelsea would sell one of their most consistent players but I suppose that's Todd for you

• Advertisement

Chelsea will hardly throw this away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: if you want to counter a point then make a counter point. Any more posts like these will be cards. The mod note in the OP sets out the position for people wishing to post here as it is a general thread, see below - any questions use PM:

Mod Note: 27/06/23 - this is a General Thread to discuss the Premier League.

If you support a Premier League team you should be aware you are likely to read posts that are not always complimentary about the team you like. You are welcome to make counter points but you are not welcome to make comments about posters or fans of a club in response to points you don't like. Posters doing so will receive forum cards and or thread bans.

Arteta learned his lesson from the Newcastle game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Great 2nd goal for Burnley - who'd have thought when they're down to 10 men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No they wouldn’t, unless they were standing looking down on the line…then they’d be in the way of the play/ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He overdid the theatrics but was there a connection to his leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Gary Neville is such a pain when on co-commentary on Man Utd games. I can tolerate bias and excitement or disappointment at what’s going on, but he spends almost the entire game analysing it from their perspective only. Nada, nothing on Nottingham Forest so far from him. I wouldn’t be surprised if doesn’t know half the Forest players because he simply says nothing about them.

Barest contact with the sole of his boot, didn't trip him, but when he felt the contact (that he initiated as because it was in his eye line he could see that was happening) he dived to the ground theatrically and was rewarded.

It's cheating to me, but the referees can't wait to give penalties for this type of accidental, incidental contact.

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

This Forest v United game is the worst match I've seen during the festive period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

And the second half is still to come🤣🤣🤣🥲

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is a very dramatic summary of what happened, but there’s definitely an alternative universe where that pen isn’t given, and there isn’t that much outrage about it. But he does take the obvious bait and clumsily kick him, so VAR is (correctly) never overturning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Good goal Forest. Deserved on 2nd half performance so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement