Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old T.V shows that flopped when thet were first released that might do good today?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blue thunder had a single season on telly after the movie came out. i barely remember it the tv series, but the movie was a little darker than i expect they allowed on telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That series is legendary, Robin Hood mixed with dark magic and clannad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭thomil

I think that infantry squad aspect was due to the pilots being marines, who were trained as infantrymen first and foremost. I'd absolutely love a reboot of that show, the Hammerhead is one of my all-time favorite space fighters, right up there with the Colonial Viper or Babylon 5's Starfury. The space sequences in that show were always dark as night though, so you would struggle to see what was going on.

And while it didn't flop, I'd definitely love to see Babylon 5 given a do-over. I absolutely love that show and its characters, but it was let down somewhat by its shoestring budget and the CGI of its time. The chemistry among the cast was palpable though, which was part of what made that show so great, and I'm not sure how much that could be replicated in a reboot. I mean, how will you ever get better than the banter between G'Kar and Londo?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Everything about Babylon 5 seemed rough. CGI, sets and some of the acting which was all too bad for me to be able to watch it. Pity because the universe it created seemed really good.

Could easily work as a high budget reboot. The only downside is activating another whole set of sad angry gate keepers.

The only downside is activating another whole set of sad angry gate

The Shadows? Or the Vorlons? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

That's not really how marines work, I know "every marine a rifleman" and all but it's not literal, and if it was they'd be more likely to be platoon leaders since they were all officers.

True, I was more thinking in terms of the show's universe, which does seem to be playing it fast and loose with that term at times.

It's typical sci-fi stuff. Star Trek TNG seemed to think everyone was at least an ensign and the idea that only the bridge crew and not a dedicated trained away team unit would go to planets was always laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

SGU was definitely killed off too soon but it was just too different from the earlier series for the fans to accept (at the time) but they should have at least gotten a TV movie to wrap it up.

Star Trek Enterprise was another that was cancelled just as they were starting to hit their stride.

I kinda liked the 2012 Dallas continuation that ended on a cliffhanger but to be fair, after Larry Hagman's (JR) death during its run, there was probably no other option. Dallas without JR just wouldn't have worked long term.

Then you have the shows that SHOULD have been cancelled - like House of Cards when Spacey was fired, or Two and a Half Men when Charlie Sheen was fired. Shows that were completely written around the lead actor/character and which just didn't work afterwards.

SGU and Enterprise both suffered from franchise fatigue and a changing sci-fi and TV landscape.

Both also didn't do half enough with their premise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nice to see someone remembering it. I have the Network DVD set, have watched a couple of times.

Just thinking about S:AaB again it's one of few series without a one world government once humanity has started colonising space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I often wonder would Jericho (Skeet Ulrich, Lenny James) do better now. Seems like a slightly more plausible scenario now than it did 15-20 years ago given the current global landscape. A lot more conspiracy nuts and preppers to pander to.

I rewatch it every couple of years. It's my guilty pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe now is a good time to start a petition to get S:AaB remade. Lots of us in here seem to want it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭jmcc

The One Game. A series from 1988. Might make a lot more sense now.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I recall they used the tech to spy on women whilst flying around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The UN (or some form of Unified Earth government) did exist from what I recall of the pilot episode although they quickly moved on to still having the various nation states; so you still have the USA, China, etc. fielding their respective militaries, whatever other over-arching world government may exist.

On an aside note, the show had season 2 broadstroked out with McQueen returning to earth as a war veteran dealing with invitro bigotry, the loss of his leg, and and his failed marriage, Damphoose & Vansen listed as MIA and Wang as KIA as per the last episode of season 1, and Hawk & Cooper facing into Operation Roundhammer (i.e. D-Day 2, the invasion of the Chigs homeworld).

Whilst I think a reboot is long overdue, the one character who would be sadly missed is Lee Ermey as the USMC Drill Instructor. He stole the show in the pilot episode. And whilst I would also like to see both James Morrison & Tucker Smallwood reprising their roles as McQueen & Commodore Ross respectively, both are probably a bit too old now alas.

The UN exists now too but I was thinking there was the potential for international conflict in space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That was great. Watched it again this year. Patrick Malahide was excellent in it.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure there has been fan pressure for years now to no avail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It probably has that unfortunate status of having a perfectly committed and enthusiastic fan base, but just a shade too small and niche to make much difference. Certainly this thread has been the first I've seen mention of the show in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not quite a flop at the time but Blake's Seven , probably some of the best characters and character dynamics of any SiFi show and dark to boot, most likely too difficult to capture the magic again. It had at least 5 characters that most people couldnt get enough of, Servalan (great villain) , Avon, Villa and the 2 ship's computers, Zen and Orac

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great show, but you've just reminded me of the pressure when most people didn't have VCRs and you never knew when/if something like this was going to be repeated. You really had to make an effort to make sure you were around to watch. Monday nights, 8.10pm BBC1 iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Criminally underrated show - came out on RTE2 (was it Network 2) on Sunday nights, don't recall it every hitting the UK channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There has been many attempts to reboot Blake’s 7 and all have failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

BBC had some great stories always let down by British TV production values. Most attempts to reboot were scuppered by later poor British TV production values.

Blake 7 could work with a proper reboot but the best it will get is the kinda low budget twee British reboot Doctor Who got (a show I can't understand the popularity of in any era)

A good example is the excellent but low budget Survivors and the terrible even more low budget reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"Doctor Who show I can't understand the popularity of in any era)"

Me either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There was a couple of major attempts just after the reboot of Battlestar Galactica came out and was a major it.

I know Sky were close a number of times but it just never happened.

Advertisement