Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm jeep/crewcab.

Options
  • 30-12-2023 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭

Probably going to have to change the jeep sometime in the next few months. Have a 06 lwb landcruiser and do a fair bit of towing with a 14ft tri axle box. Would rather a crewcab next time around I think. So what's ye're opinions, Hilux, Dmax, Navara, Ranger, Amarok, l200. Under 30k. Have heard good and bad about most of them. Don't want something that's underpowered towing either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,766 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see the new Tesla Cybertruck has a towing capacity of 5,000kg. Also an acceleration of 0 to 60mph in 2.6 secs.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I don't think you'll be able to buy 1 in Europe, atleast in it's current iteration. It's partially do with the safety standards and owing to it's weight you'd need a C1 licence to drive it to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Amarok would be the best all things being equal, but you'll see they are much dearer than the others. Nothing really between the Navara, Hilux and Ranger, all 3 are good so its down to personal preference and which one is best value/ in best nick for the money although the high end Rangers look the part they can be expensive too.

l200 is best value, easiest on diesel but is weaker and a lower towing capacity. I'm not a fan of the looks but other folks love them. The pajero is another option, don't know much about the newer ones though.

Last is the Dmax, very agricultural to drive, reliability is suspect too. Isuzu have fallen a long way since the hayday of the Troopers.

A sub 30k Cybertruck? can't even see a sub €100k on in Europe, it fails so many EU safety regs it'll never see the light of day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I know a couple of lads with d-maxs around, no issues one is 5 years old and way over 100k, does a lot of going

What sort of stuff you hear happening to them? was thinking of getting one myself , was worried about the 1.9 engine but see the new rangers etc are back on ccs too..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Currently have an l200, had a landcrusier before that. L200 definitely not as good to tow but I don't do a huge amount and only have a 12'6. A few months ago I had the loan of the neighbours tri axle nugent, didn't think the l200 was fit for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Grueller

Plant hire contractor here would disagree with that Silverdream. He bought a new amarok V6 in 2021 and kept it 9 months. He said it was a VW fanboys wet dream and nothing else. Poor off road and the drivers seat bolster had tore in ribbons in that time and he is not a 22 stone monster either. He wouldn’t be 12 stone. He went from an 06 Discovery to it.

I know nothing about jeeps but around here the rangers would get the name of being soft and giving loads of bother, particularly the 2.2. Hiluxs are rusting underneath from the day they were born.

Newer model Navaras and Dmax wouldn’t be common locally at all. I know I have an 06 Dmax for the last 13 years and it has been bulletproof, but they have had 3 new models since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Are the 2.4 hilux's dead in themselves? Did the 3.2 engine in the rangers give trouble too. A volkswagen mechanic told me to stay away from the amaroks a few weeks ago and he was just after buying an l200 himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Had a 19 amarok ,got rid before the warranty ran out,high oil alarm would go before service was due , not suited to short journeys anyway,ended up doing as much mileage trying to clear the filter as anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

I heard the 3.2 engines in the rangers were the ones to have...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The ranger were very popular around here but I noticed theses a swing back to the Hilux lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

You have them in my order of preference. Can't beat a hilux....I personally wouldn't take a present of an l200 need an acre to turn them and they overheat to look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭9935452

A lad i work for had a 08 chassis d max for about 10 years.

He did about 10kkm a year in it. A fair bit of towing and a good bit of off road and farm passages. He wouldnt be the worst with maintenance.

It always took a good bit of work to get it through the test.

Ball joints wore regularly.

Rubber mounts for the shocks wore out each year. Both rear springs broke.

There was always a few hardi spicers in the drive shafts being changed every year.

Front wheel bearings needed tightening every year.

It went down on power and cutting out, we thought dirty fuel so took off the fuel tank to clean it. Turned out it was water getting into the tank.. no obvious reason for it.

It was a weekly task to drain off the water.

Both brake slave cylinders in the back axel leaked and were replaced.

Handbrake adjusters had a life of their own too.

Ont of the injectors gave bother too.

Clutch was replaced which was expected due to towing.

Finally when towing a trailer through a field it sheared the shaft coming out of the front diff to the drive shaft. So a replacement diff was needed.

Has anyone experience of the newer shape Navara's, the 2.3 model. I've a 16 reg 2.5 litre Dmax and I'm not overly impressed with it tbh as regards pulling power. The 08 reg 2.5 Ranger it replaced was a way more capable when it came to towing.

I'd consider a Hilux only that there a serious price and a 3.2 Ranger would be a thirsty beast considering I do a good bit of milage every week. There seems better value for money in the Navara but I'd be afraid there a bit on the soft side. I'd never have considered one only that the better half's brother bought a 19 reg one and I've driven it a few times lately but never while towing.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

No the thick end of it isn't, I'd say I do about 400km a week on average or maybe a touch more. However they'd be no week the cattle trailer wouldn't be put on and at certain times of the year there'd be a trailer swinging out of the back of it as often as not.

In an ideal world I'd have 2 vehicles so fuel consumption wouldn't be as big an issue but I can't see that happening being honest. I don't want to be spending a fortune on diesel every week and in fairness the Dmax isn't hard ran as jeeps go. However neither was the Ranger and it never left me feeling wanting in the power department. The Dmax gets the job done but in a tight spot you have to nurse it along and that takes it's toll on a yolk too. You could spin the wheels on the Ranger in 3rd gear going along the road loaded if you felt so inclined, the Dmax in comparison is inclined to die out on a hill unless you watch what you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have a 2.5 d-max too. Wouldn’t be overly impressed either with it for towing. Put up about 20k miles a year between the job/kids and farm.

Tow a lot of cattle home from marts at certain times of the year and to and from farms. If there were 7 500kg stores behind behind you and you’re pulling off on a hill you’d know about it.

Find fuel consumption good enough and handy for the kids. Thought the dmax the best option at the time I was buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can you get the official power upgrade on the DMax in south? Increases power to 205hp and torque to 450NM.

I'd agree that Dmax is a good all rounder but it's a pity there wasn't another few horses under the bonnet. I only run a 12 foot Porter behind mine and I think 5 good cattle is lot's behind it, something I never considered beyond the Ranger's abilities.

I put a clutch in the Dmax over the summer despite doing my best to mind it and using the low box when needed. I drove the Ranger for 3 years in the same circumstances and the clutch never as much as smelled in it. I'll probably keep the Dmax for another while but I wouldn't be raving about it to other's. Is the 1.9 version any better I wonder?

I'd consider something like that if I thought it was a good idea. Anyone any experience?

I wouldn’t think it’s any better for towing. I hear lads who have them say they are good but I always think that most lads that spend big money on yolks find it hard to run them down.

• Advertisement

You could be right there, hard to know what to buy. I'd love a Hilux if they weren't such a price, there's a catch no matter what you look at.

I’d love a Hilux too but at the time they were close to 10k dearer than the dmax for a 5-6 year old.

One can’t have notions when finishing cattle.

As neighbour and friend often comments "when poverty comes in romance goes out".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

For a 14ft box I'd stick with a lwb landcruiser if possible, no experience of them but possibly a 3.2 ranger after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Hiluxes are very popular with the jihadis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Watching a few UK car auctions you could get 2 range rovers for under 30k, with a bit of luck when one is in for repairs the other one would stay going.

Pajero here after the Land Cruiser chassis rusted out. It's ok, pig on juice, good for trailer work but it's not a patch on the old cruiser at all. My advice would be put some money into the old one and maintain it properly. If you need a crewcab for kids just get a small diesel car.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes. Very good job. Is actually quite good towing at std, but the factory upgrade puts it in a par with 2.8 Hilux and improved economy. It is well geared with a short first gear (manual) which is ideal for taking off with a load.

The interior I'd say is a bit more car like (plusher) in the DMax. Although some say the engine is a bit more noisy. The lane assist can be intimidating at the start, but you get used to it or it can be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The Landcruiser always was and still is the best all rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

Landy swb all day long

• Advertisement

I'd argue that it's too highly geared, you have to keep the revs up when changing up the gears or it will die out especially going from 1st to 2nd. Maybe it's just me but I often went up a steep hill in 1st loaded and went to change on the flat with a good rev up and it would still want to stall if you didn't floor it. Once you get up the gears it's not to bad but it's fairly gutless taking off which didn't do the clutch much justice I'd imagine.

As for the interior and fancy gimmicks like Lane assist I buy single cab poverty specification so there's a blank bit of plastic where that would be. On the plus side I suppose it keeps the weight down which helps with the lack of power.

Advertisement