Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My plans to finish the TOTK main game won't be happening before 2024. Spent hours today just playing it.

I don't want to rush it, and I also just want to finish it up 😁

Getting the master sword was long and involving, but interesting and varied.

The problem with these huge games, is that if you step away you lose a total sense of what the game is all about and it takes a good while to get back into them again.

It's very impressive how Nintendo manages to weave the sky, ground, and underground levels together. It's just seamless. And on a dinky little console, with hardly any loading screens. The final part of retrieving the master sword bears this out.

The physics still blow me away in the game. It's mad how believable a 6 monster wheel vehicle is navigating the terrain.

I feel this is Nintendo learning game physics from the ground up and on a ridiculously limited device. Who knows where they will go next with this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I honestly think monolithsoft have a big thing to do with this. They just seem to have alot of talent for open world games and ever since Nintendo acquired them they have assisted in nearly every game they've made.

I would go as far as saying that TOTK, technically, is the most impressive video game I've ever seen. And it's running on a Switch! And on top of that, I have not experienced any bugs. And on top of that they've managed to design an incredibly huge, varied and playable game. And on top of that, the art style, music, aesthetics are Studio Ghibli timeless.

The only flaws: the sound effect when yiu open the menu gets on my nerves and can't be turned off; and it loses the simplicity and cohesiveness of BOTW. It's a hodge podge of stuff, that incredibly works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently there was about a years work where the majority of it was fixing the ultrahand and vehicle physics to make it as solid as possible. Most other videogame companies don't have that luxury.

I think you need to have an excellent design and game, and then it's worth polishing it.

"Miyamoto points out, you can sell an excellent thing forever: 1985’s original Super Mario Bros has been re-released several times and has sold more than 60m copies. You can still play it on Switch."

I think Nintendo are unique in this way and they also have something crazy like 98% staff retention, so some of the people who built SMB in 1985 were still working on SM Wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Making the physics engine work only around certain pivot points probably helped constrain the physics from doing those typical, crazy "object vibrates for 30 seconds then shoots into the sky" bugs beloved of Skyrim videos.

As well as a shít tonne of massaging and rigorous testing. Say what you will about the crunch of Japan's salary-man Culture, it does yield good products lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Am playing through Cocoon at the moment which has been mentioned on that list. Really enjoying it as a game I can finish over a few sessions after a mental Christmas break with small kids.

Definitely has a knack of making you feel like a genius when you figure out certain puzzles, in some ways it reminds me of The Witness where almost everything is very deliberately placed and has a reason.

It'll be one of the few games I actually finish this year too..or else the first game I finish in 2024

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’ve been trying to catch up on a few games I’ve missed over 2023 during the Christmas break. Chants of Sennaar, Armoured Core 6, Talos Principle 2, Mario Wonder… was hoping one would stick and that’d be my Christmas game. Only problem is they’re all bloody great and now I want to play all of them! Haven’t even booted up others like Dredge.

I will say Sennaar has been a particularly pleasant experience and very much hitting that puzzle / information genre buzz my brain craves at this time of year for some reason. Also very much enjoyed the Exit 8, a short little hour long horror thingie which is a very fancy and clever take on ‘spot the difference’.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man that reminds me, everyone needs to play Dredge ASAP.

• Advertisement

I have zero interest in Star Wars but this actually sounds fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ordered just now, so still stock.

Probably better this deal showed up after Christmas as I'd have gotten everyone one of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In a year of huge layoffs for companies while reaping massive, often record profits, Nintendo is quite the outlier.

“I believe the most important factor in maintaining our high level of competitiveness is to value the employees that have created various popular products and built our brand. For this reason…Nintendo increased the base salary for all employees in Japan”

Really feels like a stern lecture to the rest of these **** heels in the industry.

Japan has issues with labour as well but it's far from the Ayn Randian "I've got mine, **** you" nightmare of the American capitalism which is now infecting Europe.

Happy New Year all!! May your 2024 be filled with all the gaming goodness you hoped for like Days Gone 2 reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

If there is one game I'm interested in, its Pacific Drive (a survival game) which will be out on the 22nd of February.

Really interested in seeing what the next Nintendo console and launch games for it will be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hopefully nothing like Arlo’s vision for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There will be a Mario game. 🤡

It'll be an interesting conundrum Nintendo have for themselves: they love innovating their tech, and rarely stay bleeding edge, but a simple Switch 2.0 won't suffice either, especially as mobile tech can only go so far before it becomes prohibitively expensive. VR is a boondoggle and I'd be shocked if they touch it (especially having had prior history, however primitive), so not sure what the USP could be...

• Advertisement

Honestly I expect a mid gen switch refresh. Basically a 4k switch with DLSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At this stage is there any point in a mid-gen refresh of the Switch? It's been out for yonks and in terms of market saturation it's unlikely to have a huge boost.

Multiplatform games are already being hugely limited by the Switch. I'd say they're belting forward with a new console (even if it's a full Switch 2) rather than a mid-gen upgrade.

Doesn't matter how you feel or think. All that matters is the switch is still a huge seller with an install base bigger than the PS5 and has incredible software sales. Nintendo really aren't ready to move on and they'd be stupid to. Everything is pointing towards a mid gen refresh with a DLSS capable system.

The switch is perfectly capable for playing what people want to play on the switch, which surprisingly isn't big budget triple A games that can already be played on PC or PS5. Nintendo and streamer friendly indie games that appeal to a younger demograph is the switches bread and butter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

All the evidence I’ve heard reported points to a full new console, not a refresh. It’d be mad to stick with the same ageing architecture. I think the form factor will be similar and probably backwards compat, but it’ll be a successor console.

A Switch with DLSS wouldn’t be able to play the Matrix Awakens demo, which was seemingly shown behind closed doors at Gamescon on target hardware.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I think that you're both talking about the same thing, to be honest, just disagreeing about what it's called.

It'll be 100% BC with switch games, as it's the same Tegra CPU design, significantly more powerful, but it won't be anywhere near as capable as PS5 or Series X, even with DLSS, etc. Almost certainly the same software frontend on the device too. From that perspective, it'll be a mid-gen refresh.

It will also be a step change in power and design, with the improved CPU and GPU, along with DLSS, unlocking higher frame rates for a lot of games. From that perspective, it's a new generation.

Either way, it's going to be exciting.

I just think a mid-gen refresh is a very specific thing :) The Switch OLED or Switch Lite are mid-gen refreshes - same basic hardware, in a different form factor with a few upgrades or downgrades. Usually a mid-gen refresh is the same basic machine that’ll just play all the same games, just maybe with slightly better performance (PS4 Pro or Xbox One X). The only exception is something like the New 3DS which had a small handful of games that’d only run on that.

But I’d be extremely surprised if the new Switch wasn’t a new platform in the traditional sense - like the Wii U to Switch, DS to 3DS, or PS4 to PS5. The specifics beyond that are hazy at this stage, and they might be broadly similar to ensure continuity. But I doubt Switch 2 games will play on Switch 1 - because having to support Switch for another five plus years would be a massive limitation for developers,

How reliable are all these chatterings about private screenings of the hardware? That mention it was playing the Matrix demo reel etc?

Seems like if true there'll be some poke in its engine at least - but then when has Nintendo ever taken the obvious incremental route?

I'd have some questions about the demo reel. How well was it actually running that demo reel and also how much of those unreal 5 features were turned on.

To shoot my own argument dead I see on twitter that we might be getting very close to a R4 type device for the Nintendo switch. Sticking with an iterative machine if this card comes out will absolute cost Nintendo in software sales and developers willing to develop for the Switch. Just look at how DS software dried up once the R4 was released. Keeping the switch going for so long is inviting that kind of piracy whereas new architecture that's BC with the switch would nip that in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Purely from a professional software engineering perspective, I'd be genuinely amazed to see an R4-like device for the switch. I'd plenty of exposure to the DS version and I remember how rapidly that spread, but the switch has always seemed to be just a step too far to get something doing that plug and play mechanism. I know we had hard mods for the consoles but that only re-enforced the idea in my head that it wasn't going to happen to the switch.

On the other hand.....has any console ever avoided the piracy/homebrew efforts of the outside world? I remember when PS3 was supposed to be "uncrackable" but then they had to nuke the linuxOS functionality because it was basically a front door :D

• Advertisement

The Matrix one is the rumour that has very particularly been confirmed by reputable sources - both Digital Foundry and Video Games Chronicle (I believe) independently reported that behind closed doors at Gamescom devs or maybe even select media were shown target hardware running an improved version of BotW and the Matrix demo. So if it wasn’t final hardware it was at least a ballpark ‘this’ll be what we’re dealing with’.

There’s also plenty of reporting out there about the chipset being used. But any specifics I think are still broad and vague, but I doubt we’ll have too long to wait.

It’s safe to say of course it won’t be PS5/XBSX levels of power. But a NVIDIA chipset supporting some form of DLSS (even if not the full fat version) would give it a nice little edge when it comes to upscaling to TVs, even if performance in other respects is likely to be a generation behind as usual. AMD’s upscaling solution just isn’t cutting it alas, as a lot of current gen games definitely suffer when it comes to image quality vs DLSS on PC.

Advertisement