Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Thats doubtful considering the history of the region. As has been said many times at this stage, if hamas put down their weapons there would be peace, if Israel put down their weapons they won't exist anymore. Israel are surrounded by people who will fight until the country and the Jews who live there no longer exist. Why should they roll over and accept their own annihilation? Especially since they already faced an attempt to eradicate them within living memory, which is the entire reason why Israel even exists in the first place. They won't allow themselves to be exterminated again. Why is this shocking to people?

No, it's still their objective btw. Did you not see any of their statements over the past 2 months? They say they will attack over and over and never stop until the Jews are annihilated. What is it about people refusing to accept what Hamas are saying these days? I think they know their own minds and objectives better than you do

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But do they even believe a word they are saying? Hamas is a poorly armed militia of around 25,000 men - they would struggle to 'annihilate' a few small towns or villages in Israel, never mind the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I disagree. Your doomsday scenario doesn't stand up to scrutiny. As I have pointed before out there is a disconnect between the rhetoric of the leadership in Iran and their actions, which when analysed are quite rational and motivated by self presevation.. I do agree however Israel will not allow Iran become a Nuclear state. Whether the Iranian have the right to or not is irrelevant to the equation. Israel will kill however many Iranian scientists it takes to thwart their efforts and bomb their nuclear facilities. We have seen over the years Mossad's ability to infiltrate the Iranians at the highest level. So Iran will not be able to prevent Israel doing what it wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this is just hasbara guff and nobody is buying it anymore.

hamas barely have any weapons, some ineffective rockets which are as good as fireworks and stones.

israel would continue their genocidal behaviour regardless of whether hamas exist or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's effectively bluster which they couldn't be blamed for given the horific occupation the palestinians suffer.

it's not and never was going to be achieved, no amount of hamas attacks that were allowed to happen in the case of october 7th, would achieve it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Why are you trying to paint Hamas as primitive buffoons? Same with your assertion about them not possibly meaning what they say about annihilating Jews. It's infantalising a group who raped, tortured and murdered hundreds of Israelis, and yes, they wiped out entire villages despite the claim further up the page that the poor little guys could never do such a thing.

Stop with the hasbara shite. It's bordering on conspiracy territory at this stage. I don't think the Jews have infiltrated boards.ie, certainly not my account anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hasbara is just the latest pejorative meme from BDS lackeys. Anything that doesn't paint Israel in the worst possible light, is 'hasbara.'

Here's some hasbara for you: 1000 Israeli musicians singing to bring the hostages home. Just like all the peaceful protests in the Muslim world to get the fighting to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

I guess there is going to outrage about Chinese now supplying weapons /s

• Advertisement

The black market. I really doubt the Chinese supplied them directly as you are trying to imply. If some of the weaponry in arm shipments to Ukraine fall into the hands of non state entities. You won't be blaming the west for that. It is the risk in these situations that some weapons fall into the wrong hands along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

China and Iran are allies. Weapons could easily have been sold from China to Iran and then been forwarded on to their proxies.

The mental gymnastics being carried out to excuse China could squeeze through HAMAS sized tunnels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm a bit confused by your post Nacho. You disagree with what I think (which you are most welcome to do) in your first sentence, then go on to justify everything that I said?? As for the Ayatollah being full of rhetoric, but rational as well, that does not fit with Killing school girls for not obeying sharia law by not wearing head scarves, hanging protesters from cranes, having the Religious Police (both male and female) roaming the city streets with a free hand to terrorize the people does not make you think of just how rational the Ayatollah and his minions are? I lived the for a while. Wonderful historic Country, fantastic people, very friendly and hospitable, but like all Country's living under Sharia Law, people are subject to the whims of the Mullahs in every walk of life. And human nature being what it is, that's a power that's often abused. Do not assume that the Iranian Ayatollah is rational normal individual.

Rockets which are as good as fireworks and stones....on 0ct7th and the week following, Hamas launched 10'000 missiles / rockets and in the years following the handover of Gaza to Hamas, some 20'000 + missiles / rockets have been launched. So many in fact that the Israelis had to develop and build their Iron Dome system for protection. Whatever else you want to call it, fireworks and stones don't fit the bill. (TBW, if you happen to get hit with any fireworks or stones, they can cause severe injuries too)

It's not excusing China at all, just explaining the reality of what happens when vast amount of armaments are shipped from one country to another. As I said you wouldn't blame the west if weapons supplied by the west to Ukraine fell into the wrong hands. So equally you cannot blame China if they supply weapons to countries in good faith and those weapons end up in the wrong hands.

On Oct 7th, Hamas soldiers crossed into what was basically a sleeping Israel, on Motorbikes, 4 x 4s, and Paragliders. In the space of the next few hours, they wreaked havoc of a most horrific kind, and then retreated back across the border into Gaza. A well planned and executed military operation. And they (Hamas) have openly said that they will do it again, and again, as long as necessary until Israel is removed. This kind of well-planned and executed mission can easily take out any village. I always remember the story of Paddy Mayhew, who started the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG, which later became better known as the SAS) His hit and run tactics caused Rommel so much trouble, that Hitler removed them from the protection of the Geneva Conventions. So yes, a small heavily armed and highly mobile group can cause massive damage.

Considering there is zero evidence outside of Russian propaganda conspiracy circles that even a bullet worth of aid to Ukraine ended up in “wrong hands” yea you are bending over backwards to excuse the Chinese selling weapons to terrorists

I posted an article in a newspaper and your reply amounts to a classic “but but whataboutism” 😏 in attempt to dismiss these news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭TokTik

One of the most ridiculous analogies I’ve seen on Boards.

If your brother is being bullied by my brother for years, and my brother is ten time or more stronger than yours, and my brother is backed by a scummy bloodthirsty gang (US and U.K.) and one day your brother attacks mine, and gives him a bloody nose, you’d fully back him and his gang to burn down your house, or even estate, as “self defence” and not just that, it would be your brothers fault.

It's simply I disagree with part of your post. I agree with you about what Israel will do to prevent Iran getting a nuclear weapon.

The bit I disagree with is your view Iran would use a nuclear Weapon. A theocratic regime can make rational decisions to maintain power, even if a lot of their behaviour is irrational and autocratic. This is where I see a gap in the rhetoric of the Iranians and what they actually do on the world stage. If the Iranians leadership were incapable of making rational decisions they 'd have gone to War with America or Israel in recent years. There is a clear reason why they have not done so. Which in a previous post you've acknowledged.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

Yes, but they did not have the bomb then, but an atomic armed Iran, will be a completely different kettle of fish. They didn't have the "muscle" in the past, but in the future????

Interesting editorial on CNN from a woman who was held hostage by Iran and why we might, might be seeing the hostages being held by Hamas "doing well." It's disinformation, being a hostage is horrible.

To date it hadn't happened, but it might in future, if other conflicts are anything to go by. I am not engaging in whataboutism or excusing the Chinese , just explaining the reality of arm shipments and the black market. This is why I am challenging your assertion that China deliberately and knowingly supplied them to Hamas.

They unquestionably will have more leverage, which obviously will not suit Israel and America but if the Iranians are daft enough to strike Israel they are ensuring their own destruction in the process. I believe despite all the rhetoric they enjoy power and being alive so won't take that course of action. The Israelis from their perspective won't be willing to take that chance, this is where I agree with you they will do whatever it takes to stop Iran getting a nuclear bomb.

Since you like hypotheticals

Let’s say Iran does use a nuclear bomb on Israel

You would have hundreds of posters from this thread saying “they deserved it” and would moan about “proportionality” when in return half of Iran is turned into a glass parking lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Has anyone read the new sex crimes in today's Indo that the Palestinians carried out against women? I don't think Israel is bombing them enough after that article. I actually feel sick. This is not war, this is something else, this is worse than war.

What in the name of feck is wrong with these people!? Why do they hate women so insanely? I can't even repeat the acts. Thank goodness Israel is bombing these monsters. This cancer must be excised from humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm sure the extra few thousands of women who would be killed by increased bombing would appreciate your faux support

• Advertisement

Would your opinion be the same if it was your daughter or partner who was raped and murdered?

Here is the article I think

https://archive.ph/cssFS

Advertisement