Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show Recommendations *NO DISCUSSION*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Brashy

I enjoyed it. Nothing amazing, but enterteining mix of crime and comedy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mod - no chat in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big Boys on channel 4 is lovely...funny, heartfelt and covers some really big topics extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The virtues on virgin media player is great. 4 episodes so u can watch it in 1 sitting. Stephen Graham is brilliant in it, and so are the other supporting actors especially Mark O’Hallaron, Niamh Algar and Helen Behan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mr Inbetween on Disney is very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jcon

Goliath on Amazon Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭satguy

The Serpent Queen

Historical drama with a twist, new show on starz .

Well worth a gander, only episode 1 so far, and am looking forward to ep2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

A Friend of the Family on peacock - Colin Hanks yada, yada. There was a doc made about it a while back.

Tells the harrowing true story of the Broberg family, whose daughter Jan was kidnapped multiple times over a period of years by a charismatic, obsessed family "friend."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is not a chat thread. Please use the Sofa thread or show specific threads for chat. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057549115/the-sofa-general-chat-thread/p1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Title: The Bear (On Disney+)

Cast: Jeremy Allen White, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Ayo Edebiri, Lionel Boyce, Liza Colón-Zayas, Abby Elliott

Genre: Drama

Description: A young chef from the world of fine dining comes home to Chicago to run his family's Italian beef sandwich shop after the suicide of his older brother, who left behind debts, a rundown kitchen, and an unruly staff.

Links: Wiki

Watch this if you like: Tense dramas. The movie Burnt would be a good comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Title: This is Wrexham (On Disney+)

Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Rob McElhenny

Genre: Documentary

Description: Two famous actors buy National League (I’m old and still call it the Conference ☺️) football side Wrexham AFC. They are a big club for the division but spent 14 years failing to get promoted. There are 18 episodes so a lengthy watch.

I am well familiar with lower league football and saw their star striker Paul Mullin play for Cambridge. I wanted to like the show and binged watched it.

I felt it was a little soft and light and wanting to be funny (hey look at actors here). I had watched Sunderland Til I Die which showed incompetent directors and was hard hitting. This is Wrexham is a Disney show and was sentimental at times sure but maybe this football nerd was expecting something else. The local hero playing for his boyhood club got a big contract extension but we didn’t see the negotiating. The entire season was building to the playoffs and they were not even shown !

It is alright relaxing watch but the Sunderland show while far shorter was more memorable

Watch this if you like: Sunderland Til I Die

Post edited by mikemac2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Title: Adam Curtis

Cast: Adam Curtis

Genre: Documentaries

Description: Several documentaries spanning 30 years.

His style has been described as involving, "whiplash digressions, menacing atmospherics and arpeggiated scores, and the near-psychedelic compilation of archival footage", narrated by Curtis himself with "patrician economy and assertion". His films have won four BAFTAs.

Links: https://thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis/

Watch this if you like: Factual Documentaries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

the rule of no discussion is a bit silly. Suppose Mods need something to keep them busy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC 4 I, Claudius (1976) Historical drama series chronicling the reigns of the Roman emperors.

Times are all over the place 12 episodes here's the first few

Tomorrow 22:50   A Touch of Murder

Thursday 00:30  Waiting in the Wings

Thursday 01:20   What Shall We Do about Claudius?

Next Wednesday 22:45

Next Wednesday 23:35

Thu 24 Aug 2023 00:30

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

The Crowded Room - Apple TV. The plot is loosely adapted from Daniel Keyes nonfiction novel The Minds of Billy Milligan.

Some terrible reviews but I loved it.

Title: Painkiller (Netflix)

Cast: Matthew Broderick, Taylor Kitsch, Uzo Aduba, West Duchnovy

Genre: Drama

Description:  It tracks the opioid epidemic in the USA. The pharmaceutical company produces a painkiller pill based on heroin and through fake trails, bribing government regulators and shady sales tactics soon have a billion dollar goldmine as doctors prescribe these like candy. The executives knew full well in advance there would be abuse and people would become dependant but hey, as long as the company made money they put 100% blame on the "junkies" as if it was entirely the patients fault. Tens of thousands of lives ended through overdose and the government did pretty much nothing

Links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painkiller_(TV_series)

Watch this if you like: Documentary adaptation, real life dramas

Post edited by pixelburp on

edited out

Post edited by mikemac2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Changeling on Apple, horror I guess but not scary. Dude who plays the lead is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Title: Northern Lights, TG4 Wednesdays, 6 episodes, available to stream now on TG4 player.

Cast: Written by and starring Stephen Jones, also Jay Duffy, Denise McCormack, Susan Lynch and newcomer Elva Trill.

Genre: Drama, some comedy.

Description: 2 grieving strangers meet in Dublin, and soon discover they've something in common.

Link: https://youtu.be/WRCBMHis2BQ?si=akv5fKfplVOVx4Kv

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 heatnikki

A Nearly Normal Family on Netflix, another decent scandi series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 heatnikki

Currently on Season 3 of The Sopranos. Didn't watch it the first time round, but enjoying it 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

2doors down is reasonably funny

Never thought id watch a BBC comedy

Been watching the series Rome from 2005 i think. Its alright, a bit soapy. Feels like a warm up to game of thrones in its style. Ciaran Hinds is very good in it as Julius Caesar.

Probably the best series of all time it has it all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is that the one with Richie Aprille?? He was a great character I remember.

Mod - this is not a chat thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

The Golden Hour

Original title: Het gouden uur

A Dutch detective of Afghan descent receives a text message stating that his childhood friend Faysal is in the Netherlands. When a terrorist attack occurs the next day, Mardik suspects Faysal and investigates, with drastic consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Bad Sisters on Apple is a great watch. Plenty of good Irish actors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 VonRyan

Title: Daniel & Majellas B&B Road trip

Cast: Daniel & Majella O'Donnell

Genre: Reality TV, Travel, Ireland, Irish culture

Description: Daniel O’Donnell and Majella embark on a road trip around the country following a specially prepared tour guidebook. They journey across some of the most beautiful local destinations experiencing many wonderful sights and adventures. Each night they stay in privately owned B&B accommodation, hosted by some of their biggest fans. 

Mod: no advertising your business

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Advertisement