Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

I throw in a meter reading every month.

I also top up every month meaning I do my own version of level lay. With the 450e credit and what I've already topped up, I'm all paid up until June. I'll start putting money into a revolut vault meaning when I switch in June, I've credit in the bank for next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Is it? Trade Republic and others are paying 4% interest on demand deposit funds at the moment. Up to 8% for the month of January in some cases. I'd rather have the money earning interest than sitting in an energy providers coffer's. Does Revolut vault pay interest?

I like to pay a few quid a week to my provider and I’m always ahead of the bill but maybe that's just me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Screw that. I've a smart meter and esbn networks are now supplying regular readings (every 2 months) to the supplier. Still on a DN tariff

They should be issuing a bill every 2 months.

Now I can see the readings too, it's easy to estimate how much the bill would be, and can put aside that in a revolut vault or however I want to do it.

Why should the supplier get to hold my cash and earn interest on it. I

• Advertisement

The government credit is covering the bones of my next three bills, it’s not life changing money to top it up by a few quid, my bill is about €170 bi monthly

it’s okay to not agree, we all do things differently

I've elderly relatives who do the same. Who are probably more financially stable now than at anytime during their working lives. Each to their own but I also knew one particular old lady that in error paid a bill twice and under no circumstances would the provider refund the double payment.

I'd also query how different providers are applying the credit to accounts at different times in some cases applying it to the account before a Direct Debit is due and then drawing down the full bill amount while they should really be applying the credit to the outstanding bill and reducing the DD accordingly.

I'm losing out on about 8 quid over the next 6 months. Its really not enough for me to care about.

That's the price i pay for the piece of mind that no gas/elec bill is going to make things financially difficult for me.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

I know this may be off point but it seems the only place for my question....

My Electric l Smart Bill is Bill 2 months periods is ...15 Sep 2023 to 14 Nov 2023 ..... 944Kw

Account is Smart Electrical, free Sunday..

Below the breakdown is this ...

Average residential customer 671 Kw

Question ......

Is this normal ? Why am I so high ?

There are only 3 people in the house....

Any Ideas welcome....

Thanks

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Closed account yesterday and opened a new account straight away.

I'm assuming the credit will be with the new supplier as never got the one for January? (Got the one in December)

You'll need to provide a lot more details.

Electric car? Electric rads? WFH? How is your water heated? What age are the 3 people (i.e. 3 adults or 2 adults and a kid)?

You switch between 20 December 2023 and 29 February 2024: The second credit comes from the supplier you were with on 20 December 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

You have a smart meter so why don't you login to your account on Electric Ireland ( they do free weekend day) & you will see breakdown of usage per day & hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I received it but it didn't show until my bill was issued on 19th December.

I was used to EI showing a credit balance on my online account but it didn't show in the Flogas portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

According to others here it doesn't show as credit in the portal, it's applied when the bill is being generated. Like yourself I'm expecting a bill this week, it's going to be a tough one, the credit will be very welcome, even better if it's double bubble 😊

Ok thanks. If the account is closed and cleared, how do they apply the credit to the supplier on 20th December if there's no active account and cleared etc, do you know?

The account is closed for you. It still exists in their system. Call them up and ask for it. they'll send it via bank transfer.

Ah ok. They already owe me €700 in credit without that so will wait and see what they do when they refund that if they'll include it! Thanks

You will probably have to request the refund after the final bill

• Advertisement

Like others here I like to pay off money to take the sting out of the bill but I never change providers while in credit as it gets very messy, providers really have the attitude that every penny belongs to them😡

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

energypal.ie is a great website for checking your actual usage.

I was just about to switch to the current SSE offer which bonkers etc were suggesting but energypal showed I was using €300 on Sundays between 9am and 5pm and I'd be better off on the Bord Gais free power Sunday tariff.

There is a similar government website in Australian where you just upload your smart meter data and it gives you the best plan based on your usage, used it a few times when living over there and it was painless.

My usage is tailored to the plan I'm on currently, i.e. charge the EV between 2 and 6 at night, so energypal will always suggest my current plan :-(

Hi,

No Electric Car / No OFCH No electric rads / 3 Adults .. Mother . Father.. Son.../

Bed Semi / Kitchen extension.

Thanks.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

John,

As I said in post yesterday, login to your electricity provider website account & view your usage per day/hour to see when your highest usage is. You can then use this data to figure out what is driving your high bills.

An electric shower run for 1 hour a day (3 people x 20 mins) would cost around €2.50.

Hi.

I have been monitoring the usage and this is Dec 09 to 25.

8 14218 15

9 14230 12

10 14248 18

11 14276 28

12 14292 16

13 14309 17

14 14328 19

15 14350 22

16 14363 13

17 14376 13

18 14402 26

19 14416 14

20 14436 20

21 14449 13

22 14461 12

23 14476 15

24 14488 12

25 14500 12

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You can also create an account on https://www.esbnetworks.ie/ to get the 30 minute interval breakdown of your use.

Youll be able to see when it spikes and then try and back track what you are using.

Also. Averages are just averages. Nobody actually uses the average. Some more, some less. Rarely you actually are average.

Your usage is high. While graememk is right in that averages are averages, you should be around the national average. Average house with 3 occupants is average.

Ongarite gives good advice in loging in and seeing exactly when your usage is spiking. You would expect to see either a very high baseline (which may indicate something is broken e.g. a fridge constantly running when it shouldn't) or high spikes indicating a specific device is causing the high usage.

You can also go to your library and rent an energy monitoring kit to help identify the issue.

The trick of turning off everything and the switchboard and slowly turning each one back on one by one shouldn't be too helpful as the smart meter will give you the data.

Of course, it's entirely possible nothing is wrong and you are just a high energy user but all the above will help you identify why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Heat pump?

• Advertisement

Buy a monitor, Owl etc you'll soon see what's using the juice. I'd love to have only used 973 units in two months 😊

Advertisement