Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain with kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea, pop up onto the ridge there, just right of the lake, you ll find some animal trails along there somewhere. time depends on yourself, but its a very short pull up, but can be a little intense, if you re not use to hill walking. i was up there last year during the snow, so conditions were difficult, it took me longer than normal, but id say i was up there within 15mins or less, got a bit windy on top also. i traversed across the ridge then, towards coumduala lake and the gap, in extremely dangerous conditions, this is a lovely walk in good conditions, just be careful on top, theres a rocky outcrop, and it can be easy to snap an ankle there. you can come off the ridge, head towards coumduala and the gap area, or swing back towards mohra direction, undercutting the lake, theres a lovely forest just below mohra, and depending where you parked, can lead you back to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭obi604

Ah ok. thanks. I was thinking it would take an hour to get up. Hard to gauge this from a picture.

when you say ‘ridge’, do you mean climbing to the highest point you can see in the above picture I attached.

yea pics can be very deceiving, not at all, its a very short climb, you d be up there in a few mins, if it takes you an hour, you probably shouldnt be on the mountains.

yea, the ridge you see in the pic is known as knockanaffrin ridge, this over looks mohra and goes out left towards the gap

i ll try capture my gps map of the last time i was up there, it might give you an idea of a route in which i like in that area, it normally takes a few hours to do, i know i also have a few pics from that day, but the weather conditions were atrocious

when you climb up the ridge from the right of the lake, do you come down the ridge the same way or is there a different way down, aim would be to get down to lough mohra lake again

Still have not done this but thinking of it over next few days. Since this kids have done Galtybeg, galtymore, sugar loaf, Knockmealdowns, Blackstairs and a few more.

to get to Lough Moura, where do you park to get to this in the quickest time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

https://maps.app.goo.gl/mw64kVch6vpickB1A is probably the handiest spot to park. Follow forrest trail to end, over the style and continue over hillside to the lake. Going can be very soft / boggy underfoot, especially after all the recent rain.

thank you!!

how far of a walk from here to lough mohra?

Loop to the lake and back is just over 6.5km, all trails says it should take 2 hours.

A longer walk, past the old scout hut, direct onto Knockanaifreann Ridge (can be overgrown with high ferns / bracken) and descending (steeply) west of loch mhora to rejoin the looped walk to the lake should take about three and a half hours.

Another alternative is to follow the trail route towards Lough mhora, go up the ridge east of Lough mhora onto Knocanaifreann ridge and descend (steeply) west of Lough mhora to rejoin the loop walk to the lake. It should also take about three and a half hours.

Me again. If you were to climb to the top or knockanaffrin - is there a direct path from here to the Nire valley car park?

• Advertisement

if you make your way across knockanaffrin ridge from lough mohra towards the vee(the gap), theres pathways to the nire valley car park from there, but i personally wouldnt recommend this though, especially with kids, the ridge can be dodgy enough this time of year, especially when snow covered, very easy to snap an ankle in those conditions. id personally just recommend staying on or close to the mark trails, until you familiarise yourself without the kids, then bring them. im pretty sure the paths are marked from the gap to the nire valley car park, but definitely arent marked going across the ridge

You could continue along Knockanaffrinn Ridge to the top above Coumduala Lough (52.279093,-7.573912) and then follow the wall / track SW to join the trail west of the Nire valley car park.

Slightly longer would be to continue along Knockanaffrinn Ridge to the Gap and then follow the trail back to the Nire valley car park.

Did this today in a slightly different way, Shagged now ;)

parked at nire valley car park and did the Coumduala Loop, at the Coumduala lake viewing point, we headed up and made it to the top of knockanafrinn, probably about 40 mins up from the lake viewing point

then came back again to the Coumduala lake viewing point and took a right and followed the trail back to the car park.

In hindsight and to have saved time we did not need to do the entire loop, we could have headed straight for “the gap” or taken the left route to the Coumduala lake viewing point (from Nire Valley car park)

but we got there. Will have to try it from Lough Mohra side some other day.

Post edited by obi604 on

ah shur no harm done, at least you re more familiar with the place now, it ll make future walks safer, great to see you and your kids getting out and about

true. Am more familiar now. And as I said could have done it quicker if needed.

thanks to you and @FishOnABike for all the helpful advise.

Advertisement