Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think the group which she was talking to were a youth group who would get what she was talking about (mindfulness about living/enjoying the moment so that you can be more productive and create a better future.

I'm not into mindfulness myself, but young people (her audience) seems to be.

Narcissists are suppose to be charming and have the ability to draw people in. Meghan certainly hasn't been able to draw the British public in (and a lot of posters here), so in that she fails the narcissism test.

Maybe you should have checked what the Daily Mail articles were about before posting that comment. 😂

The Daily Mail articles are the original racist articles about Meghan Markle.

i.e., ''Harry's girl is straight out of Compton''.

Rachel Johnson: ''exotic DNA thickening the Royal Blood''.

Do you understand that comments like those two in the Daily Mail are racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dunno some posters are commited to slurping down every bit of kool aid Meggy has to offer.

But the British royalists are definately not taken in by her, so she has failed miserably as a narcissist.

A narcissist would never have left the royal family where they are regarded as the top of the heap (in GB & NI anyway) and that is where narcissists want to be - top of the heap, and adored by everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Earlier, @jm08 posted:

Narcissists are suppose to be charming and have the ability to draw people in. Meghan certainly hasn't been able to draw the British public in (and a lot of posters here), so in that she fails the narcissism test.

Current wisdom is actually that while people with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) can be superficially charming and likeable at first, this false persona wears off quickly. Narcissists tend to be hypersensitive to criticism and highly defensive when they’re offended, which is often how their difficult personalities are revealed to others. When offended, someone with NPD will often become highly defensive, reactive, and even aggressive or hostile.

I think it's fair to say that Meghan received a very positive welcome at first, but that certainly wore off. Another post stated:

A narcissist would never have left the royal family where they are regarded as the top of the heap (in GB & NI anyway) and that is where narcissists want to be - top of the heap, and adored by everyone.

Ah, but the Royal Family is very hierarchal. Being a member was never going to be enough. There is a pecking order. But Meghan has to be top dog. Can you imagine her having to curtsey to Catherine??! Or Princess Charlotte? Meghan would not even have been able to countenance it, let alone perform it.

According to current diagnostic criteria, NPD is characterised by five or more of the following:

• Grandiosity or an excessive sense of self-importance
    • Fantasies of powerful, success, beauty, or importance
    • A belief in being special or exceptional (sometimes with a desire to network with people of similarly high ‘status’ or ‘importance’)
    • An excessive need for validation, praise and admiration from others
    • A sense of entitlement or feeling like one deserves special treatment
    • Exploiting others for personal gain or selfish reasons
    • Lacking in empathy or unwilling to identify with the needs of others
    • Being envious of others or believing others are envious of them
    • Arrogant or haughty behaviour, or acting better or superior to other people

Try putting a tick or a cross against each one of them, and see how many ticks you have at the end.

Source

https://www.choosingtherapy.com/female-narcissist/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Be right back

Exactly, Meghan would automatically be not top of the pile in the rf. She got fame and wealth out of it. And she could have kept her acting career if she had wanted it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

That's the problem. In RF she had no chance to be on the top. Charles, William and Catherine, would always be above her/them, hence jealousy and attempt to drag them down...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,021 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Even Harry's book was called Spare, it seems Meghan didn't fully realise she would always be in the background u til after they got married. That must have been Harry not explaining things again ...

@Karppi

Current wisdom is actually that while people with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) can be superficially charming and likeable at first, this false persona wears off quickly. Narcissists tend to be hypersensitive to criticism and highly defensive when they’re offended, which is often how their difficult personalities are revealed to others. When offended, someone with NPD will often become highly defensive, reactive, and even aggressive or hostile.

Except, Meghan worked for 6 or 7 years on Suits and not one person (cast or crew) has a bad word to say about her, in fact, the exact opposite. They all said she was fun, considerate, hard working, always knew her lines, always remembered everyone's name, was on time and well liked. She worked in a homeless kitchen and took in rescue dogs.

Then her first husband whom she divorced has not said a bad word about her (though I'm sure he would have got some very good offers from the British gutter press to give some dirt on her).

Then there was the actor, Simon Cox who the British gutter press tried to bribe to say that Meghan had hooked up with him. He said no, even though he could have done with the money at the time.

How do you dismiss all of that evidence from people who really knew her for a long period of time? It certainly does not support your opinion that she is a narrcisist.

Ah, but the Royal Family is very hierarchal. Being a member was never going to be enough. There is a pecking order. But Meghan has to be top dog. Can you imagine her having to curtsey to Catherine??! Or Princess Charlotte? Meghan would not even have been able to countenance it, let alone perform it.

So is a film set. I think its absolutely weird to curtsey to anyone. I'd say anyone but royalists would think the same.

By the way, why do you pick on Catherine and Charlotte*? Why not KCIII or William. Do you think she would be happy to curtsey to them because they are male and superior anyway? (by the way, I don't think she would have to curtsey to Charlotte - does Kate curtsey to Princess Anne).

Initially, Meghan got a great welcome and she was very popular on various royal tours that she did. Seemingly this was a bit of a problem for the royal family - she was a bit too popular and liked. Anyway, it took a while for the British gutter press to get their racism going and for it to seep into the general public consciousness (i.e., the comments about her ''straight out of Compton" and "exotic DNA'' was prior to her marriage to Harry and of course, the chimp depiction of Archie was early as well. So, she may have got a good welcome in the beginning, but it didn't last, not because of her being a psycho, but rather the targetted, racist, misogonist bile heaped on her by the British gutter press.)

(Remember when she got involved with the Grenfel Tower victims with the cook book - it was labelled by the British gutter press as the ''terrorist cookbook)! Would you agree that is absolutely disgusting to write that (with no rebuke from anyone in the Royal Family).

Your list

• Grandiosity or an excessive sense of self-importance = NO EVIDENCE
    • Fantasies of powerful, success, beauty, or importance = NO EVIDENCE
    • A belief in being special or exceptional (sometimes with a desire to network with people of similarly high ‘status’ or ‘importance’) = Well, she is fairly special/exceptional.
    • An excessive need for validation, praise and admiration from others = NO EVIDENCE
    • A sense of entitlement or feeling like one deserves special treatment = The exact opposite. She didn't want the 'special treatment' she was getting.
    • Exploiting others for personal gain or selfish reasons = NO EVIDENCE
    • Lacking in empathy or unwilling to identify with the needs of others = Actually, everyone says the exact opposite. She has great empathy.
    • Being envious of others or believing others are envious of them = I'd say there were a fair few people who were envious of Meghan Markle for marrying Prince Harry (the British darling who deserted them for an American divorcee)
    • Arrogant or haughty behaviour, or acting better or superior to other people = NO EVIDENCE

Now, can you list your evidence and give examples that convinces you that Meghan is a narrcisist.

• Advertisement

What attempts to drag them down? The interview with Oprah took place about 15months after they had left the UK. Despite being silent up to then, there were 1000s of articles in the British gutter press about them.

It was Charles who reneighed on their deal to have a year to think about it because they would not withdraw the name from a court case of one of William's staff members selling stories to the tabloids.

Meghan was far from the background. There were 1000s of hateful articles about her every day in the British gutter press. She would still be there if she was allowed stay in the background.

William couldn't live with H&M being more popular than he was. William is even jealous of Catherine now because she is detracting from him.

Well, first of all, I don't actually think Meghan is the Devil incarnate - just that she is entirely self-centred, and generally couldn't give a flying fig - or even a stationary one - about anybody else ahead of herself. That is a behaviour I dislike very much. Secondly, I thank heavens I'm not participating in a game where if you hear/read/see the expression, "British gutter press", you have to have a shot of tequila, because if I did I'd be paralytic after reading your post.

It's not "my list". It's a list of indicators. I learned years ago, and from far better tutors than most, not to be seduced into their agenda. So I'll stick to my own rather than give examples of her behaviours as I see them.

• Self importance and me, me, me moments - Mike grabbing; making a speech at Invictus, at which she has no purpose whatsoever; standing at the front of a line-up (Navy SEALs recent opening of a facility, Kevin Costner's gig), M&H's wedding asserting that someone compared her wedding to Nelson Mandela being released from prison, FFS
    • Arrogance, superiority - Bullying, turnover of staff, "I can't believe I'm not getting paid for this", https://pagesix.com/2021/03/06/13-people-the-palace-should-talk-to-about-meghan-markles-royal-behavior/; https://pagesix.com/2022/09/24/meghan-markle-complained-about-not-getting-paid-for-royal-tour-book-claims/
    • Networking (I use the term loosely) - wedding invitation list, consisting of people she hardly knew (George and Amal Clooney, the Beckhams, Oprah, Priyanka Chopra, Jessica Mulrooney, Carey Mulligan, Serena Williams - where are they now??); the Obamas
    • Jealousy - Meghan is jealous of Catherine, because she married the heir and not the Spare. Wants to be treated as Catherine's equal in the Royal Family. Like it or not, guys, there one thousand years of precedent as to who goes through a door first. It's all part of the monarchy. Meghan would be expected to curtsey to those further up the greasy pole. That's how it works. If you don't like it, become a republican or an monarchist or whatever, but don't attack the individuals.
    • Those who wouldn't be on the list of being married to Prince Harry include, Chelsy Davy, Cressida Bonas, Sasha Walpole, Ellie Goulding (plus every woman I know well enough to ask - most would go for William 😀 but he's taken)

Meghan thinks she's owed something - privilege, money, status, affection, adulation and so on. The thing is, all of those are earned, not a right or an entitlement. I'm kinda heartened that she's been reasonably quiet of late. Let's hope that 2024 isn't necessarily a year of redemption for H&M, rather than the recent years of them seeking retribution and recompense for perceived slights. And being quieter than they have been, enjoying their privacy

🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

They can be summed up very simply. They met, fell in love, seemed happy to be working royals, kept their options open (i.e. keeping agent in the US), realised doing stuff like 450 engagements a year was their reality for decades ahead and so thought feck that, got tempted by what they were potentially worth commercially on paper (i.e. a lot), tried to wrangle a meet us half way compromise to capitalise on their popularity, got rebuffed because stuff like 450 annual engagements is the commitment, had their egos injured by the reality of the hierarchy, Covid swayed attention away, grifted major deals on the back of their royal status, realised they had to actually work and most have cottoned on to the idea that all they are truly worth is whatever goss and tea they might have had while their epic fumble (From stuff like state dinners/A listers queuing up to greet them/genuine popularity to ridicule, coffee commercials, move along please on a red carpet) is seemingly still being blamed on his family who have grey rocked them and keep on keeping on.

The guy riding the bike meme where he puts a stick in the spokes and then complains about someone else being at fault succintly sums them up.

Just watched this. If you think H&M had it tough.... William and Kate (and her family etc) had been down that path already. Thankfully, they went through it, came out this side, and will be King and Queen in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,021 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The irony is she wants to know why Sarah can use her Duchess of York title, yet Meghan uses her Duchess of Sussex one. Neither can use HRH.

It might just be a filler article though.

I see it’s based on a “report” by Neil Sean. I’ve watched a few of his videos on YouTube. He doesn’t seem to be a particularly well informed kinda guy. Very polite but a bit thin on facts, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Filler I'd say alright but maybe it is WME putting out guff so as to explain the lack of securing gigs i.e. their market is America and spinning it as there being potentially prohibitive rules involved with her royal status as an excuse as to why they aren't getting any more further major deals is the angle. Meghan needs answers. In short, it's the family/institution who is to blame for this lack of commercial traction. Again. WME also have a reputation to maintain and putting this out as an excuse helps them as well.

In reality though she never signed anything preventing her from speaking her truth and beyond not using the HRH they have been free to do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve said there - I think it’s a very fair summary - Harry is a complete fish out of water without his battalion of palace advisers and organisers - much as he has criticised them as the dark arts, I reckon he’s realising now just how many potholes were avoided when they were supporting him - whilst they may not have got everything right to his exacting satisfaction standards, he’d be in a whole heap more trouble I reckon had they not been there.

As for Meaghan, I think she’s realised that just because you’re married to a Prince, it doesn’t automatically open the doors you want- this is clear in terms of the stand off nature of some of the serious A listers in Hollywood giving the couple a very wide berth - it might be a fickle society but even they have standards 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yep a total “filler article” in fairness - the sort of journalism that gives tabloids a bad name 🤪

It actually doesn’t make any sense- Meaghan is free to do what she wants from a commercial perspective- so is Sarah - so I don’t know what the article is getting at other than just another “let’s get Meaghan” quest.

You seriously think that Meghan (or anyone with any connection to H&M) are leaking to the Mirror? The Mirror that Harry has sued for phone hacking and won his court case just before Christmas?

Thats a made up story, probably from someone's imagination. The RF are not even stupid enough to do that.

H&M were gifted the Sussex title from the late Queen. They can use it whatever way they like. The agreed not to use HRH as part of the title, but they can if they want to (and would if they wanted to wind up royalists).

If their Sussex title is taken from them, they revert to HRH, Prince Henry of Wales (which is what he was born as) or HRH, Prince (& Princess) Harry Mountbatton Windsor.

You seriously think H&M are worried as to what Sarah Ferguson is called? I'd say they are delighted that she got to spend Xmas with her daughters and grandchildren for a change - something which was denied her for a long time.

The Express think they have had a torrid year. What's torrid about having a best selling book that will more than likely be made into a movie? Then you had the Invictus Games and winning a landmark court case which will hopefully cost the Mirror over a billion by the time they have paid off all the people they have hacked.

Her family that went bankrupt leaving very small businesses who thought they were safe giving them credit because of the royal connection.

The two Middleton daughters are married to billionaires and they couldn't see fit to pay off their debts and protect their image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Gosh you seem a bit uptight, any New Year resolutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Jesus, no way Im going to read that link, your post was enough. **** hell people are sick. But delighted he is on a better track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I agree with many of the points you raised about narcissistic indicators. Obviously, its not conclusive proof that she is a narcissist of course, but Id be surprised if she weren't. Id add her manipulation to the mix though and her bending and twisting of facts to suit her agenda.

For example the Oprah interview. There were many examples, including leading Oprah to the racist concern conclusion and pretty much confirming that. Yes, technically Markle never said the words but she put those words in Oprah's mouth. There were many other examples, such as hinting that her kids wouldn't get titles or something because the rules had changed, but she implied that the rule change had racist motives. That could be put down to ignorance on her part but she never (to my knowledge anyway) admitted her mistake.

The signs are everywhere and hard to miss IMO. Id also add that Mariah Carey moment on the podcast, I think Mariah jokingly called Markle a Diva, then Markle inserted a segment complaining about it. My recollection isnt great on that one, but thats the gist of what I remember. Im certainly not going to relisten to confirm. Also I seem to recall her interview of Serena Williams and Markle kept bringing the conversation back to herself. Her voice on that podcast of hers was so condescending and just a struggle to listen to.

I love how the opposition tries to debunk your points by claiming no evidence, yet can produce none of their own. Nor can they explain the points raised.

Funny thing with narcissists, (at least the ones Im familiar with) they seem so lovely to acquaintances and those that are not their targets. It can take a long time to see them for what they are. But once you do it becomes far easier to spot.

One thing Ive seen though is the pro H&M side say Markle is an inspiration to them. What is that based on exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

So in summary, after all the BS, not 5 PS in 6 years as you have claimed several times.

Catherine's private secretaries:

2012 to Oct 2017 : Rebecca Deacon

Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 : Catherine Quinn

No PS between Oct 2019 to June 2020

June 2020 to Aug 2022 : Hannah Cockburn-Loggie

No PS since Aug 2022 to present

Currently Lt Col James White is said to be her next PS (Princess of Wales looks set to hire the late Queen’s esteemed equerry, Lt Col White, after role vacant for more than a year | Tatler)

Natalie Barrows has been Assistant PS since 2017.

Sophie Agnew was her personal assistant for 7 years (2012 - 2019), not assistant PS. (What’s Behind Kate Middleton’s Latest Staff Shakeup? | Vanity Fair )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭backwards_man

Advertisement