Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

JSB isn’t means tested in regard of the applicant, but is in regard of his/her dependents, should they claim for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the helpful clarification, though it doesn’t make the original story any more credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

So most industries are based in London and there is no other element elsewhere in the UK?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It isn't... you said not for most industries and mentioned you wouldn't get a job outside of London... which definitely isn't the case for most industries which was my argument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A lot depends on your line of work.

Cities like Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle etc. have many employment opportunities.

They also have vibrant social and cultural scenes.

Housing markets are not as over heated as London.

But, but, but they're not capitals like London is, and Dublin is a capital too so they are exactly the same...Even if London is the 9th most populous in the world and Dublin 121

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

For most industries which attract highly skilled migrants such as tech, fashion, science and engineering, this would be the case though there are plenty of exceptions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Landlords are selling up because they can make money. Property prices are sky high.

Landlords use their second property as an investment. They expect a return on investment. If they can get that faster and easier through selling, then they will.

BTW, I'm not demonizing landlords. I fully understand that if the value of your commodity is high, you sell. Why wouldn't they.

I had a landlord back in the early 90's just as the housing boom started. He sold up and said "Sorry lads. I bought this house a few years ago for 40k. I can sell it now for 48k. That's a massive percentage increase and I'd be stupid not to take it. These prices can't keep going up"

I laugh about it because of the last part. Prices did keep going up. But still it made sense to sell. That was a 20% increase in a few years. That's a fantastic return on investment.

Likewise landlords today are selling up because they can make a profit right now and it involves less work.

I would argue Farnborough, Reading, Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, High Wycombe, Portsmouth, Manchester, Ipswich have far more skilled workers functioning in them rather than the HQ elements in London, in science and engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Councils and housing charities are hoovering far more ex rentals than FTBs from what ive experienced and what ive seen of others i know who have recently sold rentals. The councils are all in and bidding o everything that comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I read an article last year and apparently when they're selling apartments estate agents just get on contact with reits. They'll buy almost anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Could you post that article please?

From what I've read it's council and housing charities-and definitely in Kerry, it's council and housing charities. There is the exception of hotels etc buying B&B's and two new apartment blocks along with some ex-rental properties, they are buying these for staff. So I guess, in a way, they are definitely helping, especially since many of their staff would be on minimum or close to minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭covidcustomer

As I understand it, it's if the dependents are on low pay:

Either way, whether the poster is being honest or not, they won't get a "couple of years" on Job Seekers Benefit because it is exhausted after 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Those who are disgusted with FF & FG should think carefully before voting for SF. Lest I be misunderstood, I share their disgust of FF & FG, it`s just that I believe SF would be even worse because of the things they are saying. For example, SF is talking about helping renters. I wonder if it has occured to SF that people might be more interested in becoming home owners than being "helped" to go on living in someone else`s house. Also, SF think those with mortgages should also be helped. Has SF forgetten that we just borrowed 200 billion euro sinse 2008 to help prop up defaulting mortgage holders, bail out banks and inflate the housing stock in this country. Was the 200 billion not enough? Who does SF think should service that debt? People priced out of the housing market it was used to inflate?

So who should we vote for if not FF, FG or SF? I will be looking for a party that is concerned about fiat currency and the problems caused by it. Politicians who dismiss fiat currency as an issue, do not understand the problem and can therefore not do anything to resolve it. Ireland does have such a party but to avoid currying favor, I will not mention it. Besides, a lot of people hate them (for reasons that are not clear to me). Well okay, mainstream parties and their supporters say this party is far right and they worry the mess they made will result in more people voting for this so-called far right party. To me, this party is just stolic. They are conservative and to glass-half-empty types, conservative is bad because they cannot see what has been, as good. If on the other hand you see what was good about the past, you will be better able to embrace the best of the past with the best of today and distinguish it from what is not good and rejectable about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I'd love if Peter casey etc formed a party and ran. Imagine even taking ten to fifteen percent of the seats... I think many don't or will begrudgingly vote sf. But would love to stock it to ffg... I mean speaking the truth on one topic propelled case from 1% to 23% last election. Run on the workers are neglected and you want usc abolished , easily affordable...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This Peter Casey? I've very generously shared the constituency in which he didn't completely embarrass himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For all of you grass is always greener over there people here is an article about the housing situation in Australia.

It's similar to what we hear about here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think if we had this exact same government for another 5 years we'd probably have something approaching a functional developed country. Unlike previous governments this one actually has taken steps to improving long term legacy issues, natuonal debt, health, housing and public transport all have some plans in motion and you can actually see improvements, although progress is slow. Previous governments just avoided those topics.

Immigration is only starting to become a hot topic after 3 separate high profile migrant stabbing incidents in the space of 18 months, and you can see the governments language is starting to turn on that as in mainland Europe, so I'd expect a reasonable immigration policy to follow. EU policy has recently been changed in favour of speedy repatriations.

Australia has similar problems to Ireland in many ways even though they have a more sensible approach to immigration, still Sydney is no stranger to islamic stabbings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sydney has a major geographical issue also that’s impossible to overcome. The city is surrounded by mountains and national parks on three sides, and the sea on the other. The city is less than 10km from the sea and can’t expand eastwards, and has now expanded practically all the way to the mountains on the other 3 sides. Then you get monumentally high prices in the desirable areas and long commutes for those living in the west.

Land then becomes very expensive and you need apartments to make any sense in the existing areas and the place gets very chaotic very quickly then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yeah, he would still be defeated hugely.

23% of a tiny amount voted for him in the presidential election but 77% didn't.

he would promise whatever but would just wreck the country like his like always do wherever they get elected.

america, the UK, hungary ETC.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Geographic expansion is the last thing Sydney needs, its already very low density

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Would ya ever feck off and stop messing. This Government have been in power for ages now and housing, health and a rake of other stuff is heading in the wrong direction. Their idea for housing is to pluck numbers for new builds out of their hole. The HSE is in a jock, absolutely falling asunder.

Not a chance I'll vote for any of this shower. I'm not too happy with the alternative but the current crowd need a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Housing output increases every year, the failings of health are rightly well publicised, yet the gap of life expectancy with NI continues to increase. They have understaffed the gardai, education, fire services etc and this needs to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,442 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Over the last 50 years no government have managed to reform the heath service. I doubt if any government ever will. Having said that when you get into the system outcomes are usually very good.

Virtually 30knew units this year and probably 33-35 next year.as well the refurbishment grant will probably add another 2-3k units to the total

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Installing Sinn Fein to power will be a wonderful reality check, for the electorate who will severely regret it.

Did you see what happened to the UK economy in a matter of days when Liz Truss started meddling with her idiotic policies?

And did you see how quickly US companies withdrew from the recent Web Summit when they weren't happy with the leadership? If Mary Lou and her friends manage to quickly piss off the tech firms and they withdraw from Ireland we are all in for a major reality check. Are you looking forward to going back to mass unemployment and farming potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭jackboy

The government did not improve the health service during covid. If a world wide pandemic is not enough motivation to improve things it is clear that the government will not and don’t want to improve the health service. That is off the table. If we are hit with another pandemic we will be in the same boat as the start of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Those people who have to lie on the ground in Letterkenny A&E also waxing lyrical about our amazing health service.

Also, here is the kicker for private health care fans ...

Private health care does not do A&E, except for minor stuff, and that's 9-5, Monday to Friday, at their world class clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Principal of my kids’ primary school retired four/five years ago. Absolute nutcase she was but brilliant with kids and forced into retirement despite her trying to stay on. She’s at death’s door at the moment so maybe it’s true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hmmm you need to stop comparing Ireland to a third state we have little in common with other than language. And pay more attention to the constitutional referenda and EU directives. Then you might understand how far from reality your UK nonsense is. Most SF voters will be terribly disappointed about how limited their options actually are in reality.

Advertisement