Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No I have consistently said that this god awful government needs to change their strategy, policy, processes, planning and communications. Their handling of the crisis has been appalling. They also need one department/minister to really own it and resource it adequately. You will notice many ministers are keeping the head down. Housing, Justice, Social Protection etc

However, I deplore the ignorant thugs who are burning buildings. They burned a hotel near me recently and that's why I rejoined this thread. Now some of the propaganda people are spewing here now does get on my nerves. I'd hope for a more nuanced debate.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sure thing! Bunch of malcontents always looking for someone or something else to blame for their own shortcomings. Same as those clowns rioting and looting Dublin and attacking the same Gardaí they wanted to protect them from the big bad brown people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I think the situation is a little more nuanced than you are claiming. imho this is the tip of the iceberg of rioting , public property damage & cultural upheaval.

I personally see the wood from the trees and while I’m against criminal acts occurring I see WHY they are occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Why exactly are you absolving the arsonists of responsibility?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

People burning down buildings in case they might be used to house refugees.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

Definitely something I can agree with, the red carpet was rolled out for them while all other IPA's get, is it €38.50 a week or thereabouts? Not that the word has much meaning anymore but it's thrown around all the time so what the hell, it reeks of racism? I am not suggesting higher payments for IPA's of course but that the Ukrainians got these payments in the first place was beyond ridiculous. Though the last time this was discussed the usual posters came back with, 'but what about their cost of living??' 🙄

Serious question: does any poster here agree with the physical act of burning that pub in Ringsend?

I don't want to hear any cause and effect rhetoric. I am talking about whether you agree with the act itself. Whether you think arson is progress in the "cause".

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You make good points and I agree this government are a disgrace but is this what is driving people to desperation .Kerry has welcomed more then its fair share of both Ukranians and ips with no extra hospital beds ,guards,doctors,teachers .Every service is just stretched to breaking point as is and then all we hear is we must accept as much more again visitors and if we go against this ,you are considered far right .How would you suggest square that circle because every one I know at this stage are getting fairly peeved with being dictated to

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

Not at all , but I don't believe it will be an isolated incident, while people are angry and protests continue there will surely be a certain group doing things like this especially now it has happened twice and the idea has been planted. Government needs to realise why it has happened instead of expressing regret on social media. But I don't think there's a way to defend burning buildings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The State has lost control and can't guarantee the safety of refugees living here.

They've targeted empty buildings - what next? Buildings filled with people.

Anything could happen in 2024 if the government don't get a handle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

there’s no squaring the circle now under these circumstances. we need a pause on everything to get our **** together, even at that we probably won’t get it together. international obligations and all that which it seems is more important than any government or country.

Thus god awful government especially o’gorman varadker and martin have manage to trump the god awful government of ff/greens during the crash and to trump hogan / ak during the water charges. they are talking to the irish people like shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

With FF/FG I wouldn't rule out the confiscation of empty houses except those, of course, which are owned by the well connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Seeing why something is happening and pointing the finger at the source of the why it’s occurring is a lot different to condoning these burning of buildings which is obviously criminal action.

they’ll come first for caravan holiday homes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think this is doing the anti-refugee groups any favours though. The more these attacks go on, the more the general public will start to associate the protests with criminality and thuggery.

I think it has happened a lot more than twice. We must be up to double figures now.

It's stupidity of the highest order.

Yeah I know but I want to see who actually condones it. Not a single person it would seem. Great to see.

i’ll make sure i’ll asterix it every time use it

*copyright Cluedo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not corrected at all ...

But in your mind .....

Nothing more needed so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

GAG

"Did you hear the news the other day?"

"Yes, it triggered my GAG reflex."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The poster advised 'Our justice system really needs to crush this lawless anarchy'.

i.e. to crush some form of local protest. Where would you stop with this? Let's suppose a group of concerned residents gathered to block a road - would you support dispersing and crushing their gathering? Just who are the fascists here?

Are you saying this in hope? I never got the impression here that you were in any way associated with the groups you describe. So why would you be bothered?

I certainly don't condone arson. We can see that some others view it as the solution that removes the problem.

Illegal vigilante roadblocks should be dealt with by the law yes.

Terry Pratchet

Let's give Alan Dukes (FG) some credit...

"A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water. We've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

Same principles apply to our immigration system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And what punishment do you think they should get? Prison?

What happens when the citizens on the whole in an area don't agree with 'the law'??

We govern by consent in this country, we don't govern by crushing protest. At least not currently, so watch the space and let's see if the real 'far right' tendencies manifest themselves in the coming year.

Let's not - the delivery of public water and sewage with metered use and associated pay for what you use, was a most sensible and progressive proposal of a service charge. Let's hope it's revived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is something a bit peculiar going on in Ireland that doesn't appear to be happening elsewhere. Regular arson attacks on refugee centres (or places designated as refugee centres), roadblocks by 'concerned citizens'....none of this stuff appears to be happening in Britain, ostensibly a more right wing country with a very right wing media.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement