Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yet you avoid the point. So, how many of the boomers on here do you think take home more than 20% of their house value as income from their job? I'm sure that some do. I would say that most don't. If you are not earning enough at the peak of your career to buy your own house today, then any condescension towards younger generation about how you worked hard to get where you are is completely invalid.

Another metric that could be asked is what multiple of your current after-tax take home pay is your house (or the equity in your house).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"The drop in home ownership rates for 25-34 year olds from 60% to 27% is pretty much exclusively explained by the housing crisis. "

Then why did most of the drop occur before the current housing crisis?

"A 30 year old college graduate earns significantly more on average than a 30 year old who never attended college, and the former will obtain a mortgage much more easily."

That's true now, but it wasn't 20 years ago when less people went on to third level education, and even before that when third level education was nearly exclusively for children of well-off parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It’s very hard to discern what your point is to be honest, so yeah I guess I did avoid it, but inadvertently so. Since you’re countering a lot of arguments I never made, it seems there’s a pair of us in it.

You seem to think that I’m a boomer and that I’m denying the housing market has major problems. Neither of these are accurate.

but yeah, avocados, am I right?

No. I'm making the simple point in general - not to you specifically - that there are simple metrics that those condescending at younger generations would do well to look at. The first was whether they, on a presumably senior role salary, would be able to get a mortgage for their own house today? (And I am referring to the average person - not edge cases)

The second metric was to look at the multiple of equity in their house to their current net after tax income from employment. Why did I pick current income? Well there are two general components to salary increases. The first part of salary increases is the simple inflationary one. The second part of salary increases is the "promotion" one. For most people, it would be assumed that they increase their salary in real terms over their career due to the "promotion" aspect. If that multiple is 15X (which I think wouldn't be too unusual) then I think it is fair to say that your equity was not built up purely off the back of your own efforts. What has happened is that your property wealth has increase faster than you were able to increase your own income. That is not a good situation because it means that that target - for someone trying to get on the ladder - is moving away from them faster than they can move towards it. It's not only moving faster than inflation, it is moving faster than inflation + improvements or investments in yourself.

Wealth in society is generated by labour, innovation, and efficiency gains. But it is people who generate that wealth. Property just sits there. If you look at the macro level and it is the case that increases on wealth are disproportionately accruing to the owners of property then you have a situation where those who were wealthy to begin with, are increasing their wealth passively off the backs of the actual wealth generators.

(People can also increase personal wealth through windfall or inheritance etc. I'm stripping them out for the sake of the above)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

The vast majority of that percentage drop has occurred during the current housing crisis according to any analysis I've read. If you've apparently got data that shows otherwise, as you're claiming, please do share it.

A 30 year old college graduate in the year 2003 absolutely earnt more on average than a 30 year old who only had a Leaving Cert in 2003. What are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I got my data from the CSO and the decline has been gradual.

If you're saying that home ownership has collapsed in the last 5 years alone then I'd love to see it.

What I'm saying regarding college is that people didn't need a college degree to earn a living. People got decent jobs with leaving certs, FAS courses and trades. Someone could leave school at 17 in 2000 with a leaving cert, have 5 years work experience and a few promotions under them and be in a position to buy a house.

The same person today would need a degree or a trade plus a few years work experience to even get near a salary to afford a house. Therefore the age a person purchases a house in 2022 is much later than someone 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

Please link to your data that shows for 25-34 year olds "most of the drop occur before the current housing crisis" so, if you're so familiar with it. This time without attempting to deflect by asking me to post something else.

"people didn't need a college degree to earn a living." is not the argument you were making, thats quite the attempt at moving the goal posts.

You literally claimed it wasn't true 20 years ago that a 30 year old college graduate earnt on average more than a 30 year old non-college graduate. I quote directly "That's true now, but it wasn't 20 years ago".

Even if there was actually a cliff-face fall off in terms of new people entering, what you would be seeing is the people who did buy being gradually aged out and into a higher bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

We issued Circa 150k non eea work permits over the last 9 years. (See bellow) Add on top eu immigration and Irish returning and assuming all would be classified as FTB’s it definitely has a big bearing on the stats.

2023 - 23k

2022 - 40k

2021 - 16k

2020 - 16k

2019 - 16k

2018 - 13k

2017 - 11k

2016 - 9k

2015 - 7k

source: https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/what-we-do/workplace-and-skills/employment-permits/statistics/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A third level arts qualification is equivalent to the intercert( junior cert) of the 1970/80's. The leaving cert was the equivalent of a decent degree.

Nurses, Gardai most entered the workforce straight from the Inter certificate. Jobs like draughtman( now planners or priject engineers) with the LA, Post Office.and the ESB trained by LA straight from intercert as did cartographers with Ordance Survey, as did Post Office clerk and the Technician Trainee( telecommunications or IT engineering qualification now).

A telephonist with the post office joined at that stage as well that the equivalent of a call center employee. By the time they were 22 they were 5-6 years into there working life.

An good Leaving Cert could get you in as an Executive office in the public service or in as a Bank Clerk either of which started at a substantial rate at the time probably equivalent to 50k+/ year at the time. Very few leaving college start on that money now.

Sone have this expectation that they will need to retire at 65-70. The reality is in the 70's someone retiring at 65( and many did not reach that age) seldom lived longer than 3-5 years.

A person retiring today at 65 will live to there mid 80's on average. People in there 25-35 age group will have to work into there 70's. A 50 years career just like someone who started work at 15/16 in the 70 and 80's

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

some harsh lesson learned by our friends across the irish sea.plenty of this kind of person in ireland too and they a lot of sympathy in the media aswell. sorry if your mortgage repayments went up. thats the risk!

less sympathy for this kind of idiot landlord in 2024 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Perhaps the idiots are the ones that don’t understand that unless LLs see a compelling reason to stay in the sector, more will leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Any sympathy for the tenants getting eviction notices when these landlords are forced to sell? Because that is ultimately the result of all this.

The supply part of 'supply and demand' requires profit, nobody will offer a product or service at a loss. Private sector landlords are offering a service, they are not charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I think the point is more - if you want ‘guaranteed profit’ then buy government bonds with your own money.

Using borrowed money to buy a single property comes with risks. Can’t cry when it doesn’t work out. Same as equity investors have to accept the losses when they come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

You hear alot about personal responsibility on here

How many opportunities where there to lock down liw interest rates for the long term over the last 3 to 4 years. If your entering/in a leveraged business, please educate yourself on the basics

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fartooreasonable

We should also discuss what truly is a loss, the landlord gains equity so few if any will truly have a loss, they just can't do their sums correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Just because his mortgage has gone up is no reason to raise the rent…. He made the investment it didn’t pay off like he expected. How is that different to buying shares or investing in a fund that didn’t perform.

Firstly welcome to the world of investment where there are no guarantees. Secondly for all the talk of landlords leaving there has been plenty of evidence that few have.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/12/15/exodus-of-small-landlords-from-the-market-has-been-greatly-exaggerated/

Much ado about nothing as usual.

When shares are falling, investors sell.

If LLs sell, that is bad for the rental market.

• Advertisement

There is limited accurate evident his has occured between 2016 to 2022 to the extent claimed.

There is limited evidence this has happened in the past 2 years to the extent claimed.

It it important to point out that the groups claiming this exodus have a bias towards society believing it.

You think the RTB has bias towards society believing LLs are leaving the market?

Why do you think they would do that, and what benefit to they gain from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its all well and good expecting a landlord to take the loss in a normal market - we are not in a normal market.

We are in the middle of a housing shortage, it is a sellers market. Any loss making landlord can just exit the market and very likely make a profit. The losers here are the tenants who get evicted to facilitate the sale.

It is not an ideal or even good situation, but it is the reality now. So making landlording profitable is the only way to sustain rental supply.

If you read the article you'd see the rtb figures are inaccurate when taken with the other figures used for renting.

More so it was the Irish Property Owners Association making the recent claims of an "exodus" that hasn't materialised. The bias is shown in their name

You posted that groups claiming an exodus have a bias toward society believing there is an exodus, given that the source is the RTB, why do you think they are biased?

If you read the article the inaccuracy exists between the differences in measurement in RTB and CSO measurements. Given theres an 80k discrepancy between these figures this doesn't match up. Given that's larger than the number claimed to have left 2016 to 2022 the figures cannot be taken as gospel.

This is where bias comes into the conversation as those with a bias will use figures sympathetic to them preferentially.

They use the figures given to them by the State body set up to register tenancies in Ireland. It is nonsense to suggest that the RTB is biased, have those who reported on those figures misrepresented them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

You do understand the idea of investing is to max profit. If your costs go up and your income remains the same then profit reduces.

All rational business people max income in a normal market. However this particular market is far from normal.

Well that's good except the CSO (another state body) have entirely different figures derived from similarly gathered data. When this happens in the scientific field it requires further research and it should be no different here. We cannot and should not just simply shrug our shoulders and not try to get to the bottom of what they true figures are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Agreed...I think some may be deciding not to max income and minimise risk ....risk in the form of tenants that can overhold for ridiculous periods of times with little comeback for the landlord.

Advertisement