Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Possible some American group. Noone really knows. Iona Institute was funded by groups linked to Russia

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Dillon goin to the guards over it.

Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Two square feet of forehead space in that pic.

Fcukkers should rent it out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Excellent, even if the Gardaí arresting and Irish Mammy is probably the publicity they're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement

Just get a judgment teling l her not to be on any Tesco premises. Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think only Tesco can do that - or the proprieters of the actual shopping complex.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Nothing out in the open, AFAIK. Westboro Baptist Church came out and said they don't agree with Enoch's way of doing things, which is hilarious. They are getting money from somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Oliver Callan doing a great reenactment at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is a lot more difficult and expensive than you’d think…

In a way Enoch has made a fundamental mistake in boxing himself by allowing the courts to use a very simple equation to keep him behind bars. There is no guarantee next time around they would just walk up to the line, rather than over it. Thus continuing to be able to make mischief.

• Advertisement

• for a change a Burke is actually correctly informed. facebook is doing about as well as it ever did.

Facebook accounts for 19% of global ad revenue last year! They made US$117bn and are expected to exceed US$127bn by 2027.

They are by no means a dying brand.

Also that’s just Facebook. Not Meta, so Instagram, WhatsApp etc are not included there.

• Ah to be fair lads the Burkes don’t seem to live life to any great extravagance and with Martina working as a private teacher basically, Sean being an electrician, the kids being solicitors, teachers etc the family obviously made a lot of money which I doubt they spent much of.

I would reckon all these escapades are self funded from personal savings. The Burkes could not be involved in a religious group as their religion seems to be made up as they go along. They are absolutely incapable of having any sort of relationship with an individual outside their family evidently.

The other thing is unless they founded and/or chaired this organisation which funded their antics they couldn’t be a part of it I don’t think. Martina doesn’t strike me as the sort to be told what to do by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Im not buying it. It's not bloody cheap driving all over the country like they do. At one stage Martina and Sean were driving every weekend to Dublin for a few years to protest at Dail about gays and aids. They are getting money somehow. I think someone mentioned her school takes Americans. Maybe thats it but they must have some money funding driving all over the country, thousands on facebooks and sending all the kids to University

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Had a very interesting conversation with an employee of Wesly College in Sandyford. They had interviewed Enoch for a position, he was in line for the job. . . . . . . . until they Googled him 😉. I bet Wilsons are sorry they didn't (or chose to ignore the Google results).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One thing for [reasonably] certain is that the family won't be protesting at the Dail anytime soon. They know having one family member in prison suits their game plan on publicity protests. With the legislators being protected by law and by the Gardai from being hassled at or outside the House by protestors and the way Mrs Burke loses her head when she actually meets some-one who doesn't meet her standards, the family probably won't risk her being hauled before the beak to answer for her actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How any of the kids have jobs that are contributing to the family income though?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the American money angle. It's well known that in the run-up to the referendum on the 8th Amendment, some funding for the No side came from America. Some activists even came here at the time. The finer points of exactly why Enoch Burke is in prison have escaped many people, especially people who aren't reading news reports properly and who only see what they want to see. It's not difficult to twist this into the tale of a nice, clean-living Christian boy who's now rotting in prison because he disagrees with transgenderism. If Americans were prepared to put their hands in their pockets to influence our referendum a few years ago, why not help the Burkes? Evangelicals in America are bound to view them in a very different light to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was able to guess what Enoch's second name would be when his story broke (and I only heard a first name and location) due to their past dramas.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which raises questions about political donations from abroad and tax liability arising from donations.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well, Enoch has been receiving his full salary through this entire charade and given that his food and accommodation are currently being paid for by the state they could be using his money.

I do hope that Alan Dillon does get the Gardai to charge them under some kind of public order type offence.

• Advertisement

How much does he owe at this stage?

Court contempt fines of Euro 23,800 for ignoring court order to stay away from/not picket at Wilson Hospital School. There's also the matter of costs for the conciliation court hearings about his sacking by the school.

Alex White, SC, for the school told the high court that the school was seeking damages of 15,000 for Burke's trespass at the school and costs as well involved in the case.

I actually thought it’d be nearer €100k

Happy new year Enoch. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Quandary

Watch him “donate” all of his career earnings to some charity type entity now. The man will never pay a cent of those fines.

whats the betting his mothers “school” is registered with the charity regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A "charity of his choice" aka some Christian fundamentalist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's a bit more than that! The last update I did was on Oct 3, so here is an update since then:

👁️ Enoch Watch 👁️

Updated 31 December 2023

• Tues Dec 12 - Second formal review on contempt before Justice Sanfey
      • EB again refuses to purge contempt.
      • Advised he can purge his contempt and leave prison at any time by giving an undertaking that he will abide by the injunction ordering him to stay away from WHS.
      • Next formal review set for February 2024.
    • Wed Dec 20 - Justice Dignam issues his ruling against Enoch Burke in the matter of the membership of the Disciplinary Appeal Panel.
    • Sun Dec 31 - Fines x 338 Days @ €700 per day (27 Jan to 31 Dec inclusive) = €236,600 + legal costs + €15k in damages for trespass.
    • Sun Dec 31 - Day 114 of EB re-incarceration in Mountjoy Prison. (Sept 8 - Dec 31 inclusive).

🏳️‍🌈 ⚧️ Donations to "Enough Enoch" GoFundMe in support of Irish LGBTQ+ charities = €11,315 ⚧️ 🏳️‍🌈 (no change)

Donations to "Enoch Burke" GoFundMe to assist Enoch Burke pay daily fines = €40 (no change)

Donations to gofundme "Pay Enoch Burke's Legal Costs" started 18 July 2023 = €0 (no change)

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Putting on a devils advocate hat for a moment, I assume that due to his/their [pun] insistence that he is an innocent man merely defending his Christian values under the constitution AND NOT getting proper legal advice worth its weight in salt THEN what [theoretically] may get his fine total reduced is the fact that he's incarcerated in state custody and therefore UNABLE to attend at Wilson's Hospital School, if the basis of the daily fine is his continual breaking a court order by attending at the school.

If the basis of the fines is his NOT agreeing to obey the court order [refusal to obey - displaying contempt of court] as distinct from breaking it by attending at the school, then the fines must still be levied.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The daily fine is not in any way linked to his physical attendance at the school, it is linked to his refusal to purge his contempt.

The daily fine accrues whether he's at school or in prison or anywhere else and continues until he stands in front of a judge and purges the contempt.

it was put in place by the Judge after his last stay in Prison didn't have the desired effect so perhaps an argument could be made that the fines be paused while he's in Prison.

But it would take a better lawyer than Enoch will ever have access to to make it and to have a Judge that he hasn't already pissed off beyond measure.

Given that it's unlikely he'll ever get either of those things, the fines will keep building.

• Advertisement

Ta. As Enoch has chosen to ignore the extra incentive of the daily fine added to his coercive imprisonment imposed to incentivise him to purge his contempt of court, then that's his baby. I'd be surprised if the governor hasn't posted a written directive to the warders to get Enoch to a phone when he decides to purge his contempt. The Judges have no problem with him speaking from the prison to them in the courtroom via electronic means.

Advertisement